OB Classic Shaft review

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Got my OB Classic today. Short review.

"What can Brown do for you"? I don't know what he can do for you, but he brought ME an OB Classic shaft today. Just got done hittin' a few racks with it. Fit is good. Only a slight bit of rollout (very negligible). Wood looks great. Workmanship is good as expected. Ferrule is white, about 1/4" long. Looks like a Tiger Everest tip on it. I got a 30" shaft and on my 29" Jacoby butt, the balance is perfect (for my taste). This is my first OB shaft. I did not know what to expect because I have read many varying reviews of how an OB shaft hits. Well, I'm in the camp of the ones that say it hits VERY similar to a 314 (2nd generation). Sort of a medium hit, not too mushy and not too firm. I'm happy with it and expect many hours of pleasure/success shooting with this combo.

Maniac

coolcue

Registered
Happy is the hunter who finds what fits his taste. Thanks for the review. I'm using an OB 1 an am happy with it, but am thinking of the classic. :thumbup:

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-OB Classic Shaft Review-

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to borrow a OB Classic shaft *12.75mm and hit with it for a few days. Below is my review:

One of the first things I do when examine any pool products: cues, cases, tools etc. is look at the finish and quality of execution. After close inspection of the shaft I could tell each shaft was made with great detail as there were no excessive glue lines and no over lay of woods or materials. Each segment was masterfully cut and crafted.

I then flexed the shaft and knew that it was going to have a stiff hit. Not overly stiff but the kind of support structure that you want when using "force follow". My ears perked up with that excitement to see how it would handle on the table.

The tap in the insert was precision and the diameter fit flush to my current cue at .850.

Each ferrule is unlike the previous ob shafts in which are composed of wood segments. I estimate the ferrule to be roughly 1/4 inch in length. The ob classic shaft was designed with a small white ferrule made of a plastic type ferrule * unsure of the exact name*.

I have owned the original ob-1 with the wooden ferrule and the hit was significantly more muted and silenced than a normal shaft.

The shafts are non - cored and weigh in between 3.9 to 4.1 oz depending on the joint pin of your cue. Insert pins for 5/16-14 will weigh more naturally. My shaft was a flat face 3/8-10 and still was solid. No light weights with these shafts.

I'm a detailed shooter who takes into account a lot of factors in my pre shot routine. From the silky smoothness of my shaft, to the whiskering sound of my chalk swiping the tip as I chalk up.

The sound is of utter importance as it one of many factors that produce what players describe as feel. The shaft has great sound when striking the cue ball. This was the sound I so desperately missing from the original ob-1. I credit the introduction to the ferrule. Despite the fact that it was smaller than most low deflection shafts it provided the special ingredient that non low deflection shooters would enjoy. It took a while to get used to the small ferrule but after a few racks it was apparent to me that this shaft was designed to do one thing. Reduce deflection and incorporate that solid feel that is missing from many other low deflection shafts.

My first set up was done simply by placing the object ball between the 2 and 3 diamond near the corner pocket and the cue ball placed at the head string. This is basically a 3/4 length table straight shot.

I wanted to test the deflection, draw and the force follow to see how this shaft compared to my current stick. After spotting the ball and getting down to shoot the first couple of shots only one word came to mind "Wow".

The stop shots hit perfect. No side spin and no unintentional draw. I use the word often but it was "SOLID". Maybe due to the fact that the shaft isn't cored completely all the way through like the Predators or previous OB-1 shafts. My face was grinning to see if I could draw as easily as it I stopped the ball from several distances.

Placing the ball back to the spot I lowered to aim and then ping..drew the ball the entire length of the table and back to the head string. I tried the draw again to see if it was a fluke that i had drawn the ball that easily. The second and third time was just as easy and even more fluid as I had gotten used to the taper and the weight.

After about 5 or 6 times I was ready to see if it would hold up to the force follow that average low deflection shafts fall slightly short on. Moving the cue ball off angle so that my straight shots were no longer straight I placed top right force follow on the ball. Again I went down to aim then...ping...whitey pocketed the ob ball and danced around three rails back to the line I desired. The shaft didn't wimper, fault or back down.

I thought to myself. This is very very nice since low deflection spliced shafts has always worried me about stiffness and quality. With so many thousands of shafts made each year I'm glad a company such as OB cues has put out a product that I could be comfortable not only playing with but also depending on. When all the chips are out and the moneys on the table I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an OB Classic.

StuartK35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Classic for my Viking Cue

I ordered an OB Classic from Nielsen's Billiards...Joe is a class act if you don't know... Please do business with this man and I promise you'll be glad that you did.

To the point now...

My shaft came in today and I played with it in my league match tonight. Wow, let's just say I believe the hype. All of the good things I've heard and read about these shafts are absolutely true.

It hits beautifully and I have to say it isn't as difficult to adjust to as I feared it would be. It still gets away from me once in a while but I've only had it for a few hours. I would say after a few days or a solid week of playing I think anyone can adjust and feel in control with this shaft.

I've owned Z2's and 314's and I felt those took a bit longer to get used to. I like the Z2 best when it comes to Predator and I shoot well with one but I'm in love with this OB CLASSIC. It's a terrific shaft!
I don't see myself playing with anything but OB in the future. I may order the Classic PRO to have as well. I'm already ordering a back up Classic.

If you get the chance to try one out I highly recommend it folks!

Play well my friends!

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
Just so everyone knows. I merged two threads about the OB Classic together into this one with the appropriate title to encourage other reviews in a single thread as the section rules require.

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a strange question to ask. But what shaft has least deflection: OB1 or OB classic? I have been hearing alot of good stuff on the OB Classic, but some people actually claimed it has a slight more deflection than the original OB1.
Has anyone taken the same shots with both shafts and compared? I own an OB1 myself and I'm pleased with it. But I was curious to "upgrade" to the OB classic, but not if it has more deflection. Has anyone compared?

rhyno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a strange question to ask. But what shaft has least deflection: OB1 or OB classic? I have been hearing alot of good stuff on the OB Classic, but some people actually claimed it has a slight more deflection than the original OB1.
Has anyone taken the same shots with both shafts and compared? I own an OB1 myself and I'm pleased with it. But I was curious to "upgrade" to the OB classic, but not if it has more deflection. Has anyone compared?

ive hit with both and say the ob1 deflects less.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not enough diff. to worry about classic has a more agressive taper and sharper feel than ob1 but you'd be hard-pressed to see deflec. difference in play call em for demo and try it out, great cust. serv. at Ob.

MalibuMike

Banned
I'm waiting now for my OB 1 shaft, and OB J-Line 108 Gray with white joint collar. From what I understand these shafts were designed by OB and made by Joss, sounds interesting. I have a Schon with a Z2 predator shaft now, I'm finding it a little stiff though I love the low deflection, I was going to purchase the new 314 predator, But after shooting around at Crown City Billiard's I really liked the feel of the OB-1, So I ordered the OB shaft with the silver ring so it can adapt to my Schon, as I know nothing of the OB Cue except it was very affordable and had a nice simple grey finish, has anyone played with an OB J-Line cue? Thanks!

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm waiting now for my OB 1 shaft, and OB J-Line 108 Gray with white joint collar. From what I understand these shafts were designed by OB and made by Joss, sounds interesting. I have a Schon with a Z2 predator shaft now, I'm finding it a little stiff though I love the low deflection, I was going to purchase the new 314 predator, But after shooting around at Crown City Billiard's I really liked the feel of the OB-1, So I ordered the OB shaft with the silver ring so it can adapt to my Schon, as I know nothing of the OB Cue except it was very affordable and had a nice simple grey finish, has anyone played with an OB J-Line cue? Thanks!

Joss made the Butt on this but OB built the shaft

mrgoodale7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the difference in the OB shafts I see some have white ferrules and some are wood. I shoot with a 314-2 Right now.