Viking Cue and Shaft Reviews

dkknight93

Registered
Vikore Shaft Review

I purchased the "Viking" model V104K-NT a few weeks ago and have been playing with it for about 2 weeks now. As this is my first cue ever, I honestly can't complain with the results that I've gotten with this Viking. I can't really compare it to other LD cues, but it definitely deflects less than stock shafts. I recently learned how to apply english properly and this new cue has been great in helping me aim more accurately. I am able to place the cue ball where I want it to go a lot better. It has a very solid hit and provides great consistency in every shot. My only issue is that the tip is a little flat for my liking so it's a little hard to apply extreme english or draw, but that can be fixed with a little reshaping. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and Mr. Webb is very straightforward and easy to deal with.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
Webb's Billiards is now looking for reviews on the VCrush Break Shaft.
We see no reason a Break Cue has to be dull!

Specifications:
Tip: Phenolic or Tiger Hard tip
Tip size: 13mm
Joint: black
Joints available: 5/16x18 Black Collar | Uni-Loc Black Collar (+$20) | 5/16x14 Black Collar | 5/16x14 Silver Ring | 3/8x10 Black Collar
Ferrule: standard 1" Viking ferrule
Taper: conical
Benefit: Extreme Power & Speed
Length: 29"
Turnings: 9 to 11 turnings over 18 to 24 months
Aged Maple: 5 years
Warranty: Lifetime
Manufactured: USA

Imagine this as your new breaker!
V101K_RD__199_507fe89820a8c.png

prelude_paul

Registered
Looking for more reviewers as many didn't return to give a review.

I know, I hate that people gotta do that.

8 month review time:

Well, I have update #3, so I reckon you got some value out of me. Look upthread for more of my story, but the upshot is I am a medium-skill player [mid-high SL 4 in APA 8-ball , probably 6 months from SL 5.). But look for me in 2 years.If I'm not a SL 7, I'm buying the shots.

I'm getting more use out of English in all 4 directions to control the CB - as well as managing harder shots with SIT, banks and kicks with spin to get to hard places and so forth. Long way to go, and some days just shooting a stinking shot that goes where I want it to is spotty.

I took up Matt's deal last November, so I have gone through a session and a half, and now about 9 playoff matches. Speaking of which, my team is going to Vegas for APA Nationals Aug 19-24, so for fun you can look me up there if you're also going. [and yes, I won the crucial match that got us there] My team name is "The Mechanics". My name is Paul Fuller.

And you can by all means shoot a little with my cue and see what you think of the Vikore shaft. I'm never going back to the standard shafts, except to monkey around with and stay fresh on non-LD cues.

After 8 months these are my thoughts:
  • It's low-deflection, but a bit less so than the OB1 and Predator shafts.
  • I got a 13mm tip. In retrospect, wish I'd gotten a bit smaller, a 12.5. You get more control, and then there's the matter of digging shots off the rail at these tall rails at Wittens where i play.
  • Also, not in love with the Tiger Everest tip, I like a tad harder. Almost certainly before the Nationals in Vegas, I am going to switch to a Kamui medium, which is more my style.
  • The LD has hugely improved my CB control. Hugely. OK, what am I looking to say...uber-mucho-epic difference in control. To remind myself, I practice shooting the same shots with the Vikore and with my standard cues.
  • The shaft is a little fatter than you think. Which as I said before, works for me better anyway. My fingers are not as limber as I'd like, which makes locking down good bridge less easy than I'd like.
  • The balance of the cue is very sweet. it feels light, even at 20 oz.
  • I am quite certain that I have not developed the skills to completely take advantage of what's there. Which means this cue and I can grow together.

Anyway, see you in Vegas. If you made it.

Oh and, since I'm not gonna undertake any big changes between now and Nationals, I'm not doing anything new. But as soon as my team gets clobbered in Vegas, I'm ready to take up CJ Wiley's TOI.

prelude_paul

Registered
Matthew, I'll chime in. At some point folks will get tired of hearing from me, but hey, I signed on to give feedback.

Having had a Vikore shaft for what is now 15 months, I think I can add the perspective of a growing skill and knowledge base, not to mention a penchant for trying out a variety of cues.

I've noted my background upthread, so keep in mind. Not a pro, not gonna be a pro, but I'm getting to be a decent amateur.

The Vikore is a low-deflection shaft. I can't speak for Viking and I don't know any of their people, so I don't know if they are shooting to be a competitor with the OB1 and Predator shafts. I don't see the Vikore being pushed in public alot, but again, that ain't my affair.

I love it. It has a fairly long pro taper about like you'd expect (in this way it looks and handles more like the 314, less like the Z2. As an aside, I like the 314, and don't care for the Z2. For exactly that reason. I have never weighed the shafts or looked them up, but I judge the Vikore to be a tad heavier than the Predators. Couldn't say whether that's better or worse, just my impression.

I don't love the Tiger Everest tip, but I've learned not to fight it. When it comes time to retip, I'll put a Kamui on it. Then it'll be the perfect shaft.

It plays very, very smooth. The better I get at working English, the better it is. Low deflection, I don't know statistically how they measure such things. I know that they do, I've seen charts But also, LD is not a benefits-only proposition, where more is always better. I'm certain the 314 is "more LD". But I know when using the Vikore, I adjust very little for squirt, and this cue treats me right.

I don't think I want more LD. It may be perception, but I start to think that the engineering necessities of LD (lightened tip, namely) start working against you in normal shooting accuracy. A cue with LD features but not whole-hog insane LD is not a bad thing, I am thinking.

I'm not going to say I'll never use another shaft as a main playing cue. Life is long, and you never know. But I thoroughly love this Vikore right now.

Matt, now that I'm finished with that, if you're still taking reviewers on that VCrush break shaft, I'd sure be interested. I think you know I'll come back and give reviews. Hit me up offline if you're still game.

ChokerBFMC10

Registered
I'd like to be part of this review. I had a players cue before but it's gone now. I'm interested in the vikore and crush. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ChokerBFMC10

Registered
I have to say that Matt at webbs billiards has been really nice to talk to and was quick to respond to me. Even though I didn't go with I viking shaft and cue I would definitely consider him to be my go to contact for cues if the price is right. Very friendly and straightforward. I actually went with a Mcdermott g216 because I liked the feel better than that of the viking vikore shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
Looking for players who want a new Viking cue but don't want the standard stock model. Viking wants you to customize your cue. Don't just order one that someone else has decided the colors/inlays on, let's put what you want together.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Viking Exact Shaft XRZR that has a bad shaft. I would like to try the new shaft on that Cue, before I have to send the whole mess by to Viking.

Thanks