Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The best sponsor for pool?
Page 3 of 12 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
this is an easy one...
Old
  (#31)
MJB
AzB Silver Member
MJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

this is an easy one... - 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM

The answer is that there's no ideal corporate sponsor that could possibly inject enough money and infrastructure to a professional US tour to ever make it worth their time or money. Period.

Pool in the US will never get past the image of gambling in a smoke filled bar (even though bars are now non-smoking). Pool has no developmental system. Yeah there are pockets of junior leagues around the US, but nothing like organized club sports. These things make it hard to market to the masses, which in turn make it hard to get any return on investment for the sponsor.

Old
  (#32)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
The answer is that there's no ideal corporate sponsor that could possibly inject enough money and infrastructure to a professional US tour to ever make it worth their time or money. Period.

Pool in the US will never get past the image of gambling in a smoke filled bar (even though bars are now non-smoking). Pool has no developmental system. Yeah there are pockets of junior leagues around the US, but nothing like organized club sports. These things make it hard to market to the masses, which in turn make it hard to get any return on investment for the sponsor.
Exactly. What sponsor with the kind of $$$ that such a tour would take is going to get involved with pool? You're right: NONE. Maybe Bill Gates or Warren Buffett would like to just ^&*&-off a couple million for fun. 'Bout the only way you're get any real money.

Old
  (#33)
raistlinsdragon
AzB Silver Member
raistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Exactly. What sponsor with the kind of $$$ that such a tour would take is going to get involved with pool? You're right: NONE. Maybe Bill Gates or Warren Buffett would like to just ^&*&-off a couple million for fun. 'Bout the only way you're get any real money.
Gates and Buffett put their money in playing bridge.

Old
  (#34)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlinsdragon View Post
Gates and Buffett put their money in playing bridge.
I hear ya. I just used their names as an example of someone with enuff $$$ to light a few million on fire staking a pool tour. Maybe get the weed growers and the Mexican cartel to up a few bucks. Now THOSE boys got ready/spare cash.

Last edited by garczar; 02-20-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Old
  (#35)
mark187
AzB Silver Member
mark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Then answer me this, why are people that currently own the Chinese 8 ball tables here in the US trying to dump them for lack of play? And by the way, you're numbers are fake news....LOL
Okay. Just google the figures if you think they're fake news, you'll find multiple sources. Regardless of that, there are other readily available figures which show the popularity of Chinese pool vs US pool. For starters, compare how many pool halls there are in the US vs China. Check out Billiards Congress of America and Chinese Billiards Association for the latest tally. Like it or not, China has 20 times more clubs than North America. 200,000 vs less than 10,000.

I get that Chinese 8 ball hasn't taken off in the US. But, you asked how pool players could become millionaires. In terms of the degree of participation, the speed the game is currently growing and current prize money (world masters up from $45k 2017 to $151k 2018), I think that's where millionaires are going to be coming from.

Old
  (#36)
Nine ... corner
A student of human moves~
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-20-2018, 04:57 PM

How about table mechanics? Maybe the all knowing cobra will like it.

"I'm shootin' pool Fats, when I miss you can shoot."

Old
  (#37)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark187187 View Post
Okay. Just google the figures if you think they're fake news, you'll find multiple sources. Regardless of that, there are other readily available figures which show the popularity of Chinese pool vs US pool. For starters, compare how many pool halls there are in the US vs China. Check out Billiards Congress of America and Chinese Billiards Association for the latest tally. Like it or not, China has 20 times more clubs than North America. 200,000 vs less than 10,000.

I get that Chinese 8 ball hasn't taken off in the US. But, you asked how pool players could become millionaires. In terms of the degree of participation, the speed the game is currently growing and current prize money (world masters up from $45k 2017 to $151k 2018), I think that's where millionaires are going to be coming from.
Asia is definitely THE growth market for pool. Chinese 8ball will never be big in the States. Recreational players would try it and walk away. Too tough and too slow. I could see(faintly) some sort of world tour(9b-10b) with a couple US events but never a US-based big-time pool tour.

Last edited by garczar; 02-20-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Old
  (#38)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2018, 05:05 PM

Really like to hear Mr. Helfert's take here. Jay, you out there??

Last edited by garczar; 02-20-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Old
  (#39)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 05:11 PM

Kevin Trudeau.... What's in it for him?

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Old
  (#40)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden View Post
Kevin Trudeau.... What's in it for him?

Right now its three meals a day, a cot and a nice jumpsuit. All supplied by ClubFed.

Old
  (#41)
CuesDirectly
AzB Silver Member

CuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 05:29 PM

Department of Justice and the Federal prison system.

The mantra would be

SHOOT POOL, NOT PEOPLE.

With a ten million advance now, they would recoup their money in ten years. Put tables in every Middle and High School with good grades and attendance as a requirement to participate, just like all sports.

Next would be the Electric companies, the large producers. Speak to any of their Engineers and they will admit our grids are overloaded, getting kids off their Xboxes would help with the grids. (If you have wondered why your light bulbs burn out fast, it's because the grids are overloaded.)

BEFORE KNOCKING this, I will make it very entertaining, let's say a President has proposed this, can you make a statement in support of it or in denial WITHOUT knowing which President?

----------------------------------------------

David Brainard, custom Cuemaker
My website is CuesDirectly.com
Email, CuesDirectly@gmail.com
Facebook under both names
503 930-7776 5am -5pm West Coast time

Old
  (#42)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2018, 05:40 PM

Actual, serious answer? This: i'd try to get three- a major brewer, a cell phone maker(or big provider) and a large fast-food chain. Give me all three and with the right promoters it might get off the ground.

Old
  (#43)
Cracktherack
AzB Silver Member
Cracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2018, 05:41 PM

OK, I'm watching pool on tv...I'm new to this, so tell me why doesn't the guy shoot? He walked around the table and back. He's stroking the cue into the air towards the light. He gets down to shoot and gets back up. Did one of the balls move? What is a shot clock? Why doesn't he like the way they were racked? Is he pointing to the spot where he wants the cue ball to go next? Why doesn't he shoot the ball in? Oh, he said "extension." They all look like convicted felons.
I'll bet they would hire me to do commentary...because I don't know anything about pool either.
Oh can he say that...the ball hit the titty? How many titties on a table?

My Mom was cell mate with Martha Stewart and taught her how to make a shank from a toothbrush.

"Perfect position for Shaw is when the object ball and cue ball are on the same table." Mark Wilson

Old
  (#44)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracktherack View Post
OK, I'm watching pool on tv...I'm new to this, so tell me why doesn't the guy shoot? He walked around the table and back. He's stroking the cue into the air towards the light. He gets down to shoot and gets back up. Did one of the balls move? What is a shot clock? Why doesn't he like the way they were racked? Is he pointing to the spot where he wants the cue ball to go next? Why doesn't he shoot the ball in? Oh, he said "extension." They all look like convicted felons.
I'll bet they would hire me to do commentary...because I don't know anything about pool either.
Oh can he say that...the ball hit the titty? How many titties on a table?
Niiiice. Good point also. T.V.(or stream) coverage of any tour would have to be top-notch. There are some GREAT commentators out there and their talents would be needed for sure. Guys that talk about trailer wheels and roofing their cabin wouldn't need to apply.

The best sponsor for pool?
Old
  (#45)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

The best sponsor for pool? - 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Best honest answer I can think of.....drum roll...Red Bull.

Every sport they get into they dominate and put their brand on top.

Transcends nations, ages, genders. They know how to advertise and can get them selfs on TV. Who else could get Plane Aerial Races on the tube. Red Bull. Who else broke into the Cola space with a new Drink. Red Bull. Who else could afford the relatively small marketing expenditure to back stop a tour.... you guessed it RED BULL.

I hate the zhit but the sponsor pool they get my dollars. They understand that.

Read this. https://www.assemble.tv/blog/how-red...to-a-new-level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Last edited by Nick B; 02-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Page 3 of 12 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: