What "if" Florian Venom Kohler decided to compete at 8,9,10 Ball?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dayam!

well that was a clean miss! two reply boxes open at once did weird things

Last edited:

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad I ran across this thread. This guy blew my mind.
Long ago I heard people saying the Harlem Globetrotters could beat a pro basketball team...foolishness, of course, but this Kohler guy could comparatively come closer to beating a pro pool player.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad I ran across this thread. This guy blew my mind.
Long ago I heard people saying the Harlem Globetrotters could beat a pro basketball team...foolishness, of course, but this Kohler guy could comparatively come closer to beating a pro pool player.

The guy literally has no concept of what pro-pool is. That's not an insult; it's a fact of reality.

I'm willing to bet that most Globetrotters are extremely talented guys who were coached in and know how to play proper basketball, but came-up short in what might be the most competitive job-market on earth.

Just to put things into perspective, consider that it's nearly impossible for the best pool players in the world just to make it onto the snooker tour.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In pro golf a few strokes per round separate a guy who can't pay his caddy a living wage and won't be back next year and a guy making millions per year. Pool isn't that extreme but then again considering that maybe less than a dozen make an admirable living at it...maybe it is. I'm not saying this trick shot guy can't play, I have no idea what his game is like, but I'm saying his trick shot prowess isn't a decisive indicator of whether he has that seeming rare mental/physical/stamina/playing ability mix that it takes to ...as Rod puts it...make a livin out playin pool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy literally has no concept of what pro-pool is. That's not an insult; it's a fact of reality.

I'm willing to bet that most Globetrotters are extremely talented guys who were coached in and know how to play proper basketball, but came-up short in what might be the most competitive job-market on earth.

Just to put things into perspective, consider that it's nearly impossible for the best pool players in the world just to make it onto the snooker tour.
I'm not sure whether or not you were saying that I have no concept of what a pro player is, but on a scale of 1-10 of probability, Kohler's probability of beating some random pro player, let's say..3, would be higher than the Globetrotter's ....maybe 1 or 2 (of beating a pro team). And I wasn't talking of him being good enough to make money on the tour, rather good enough to snap off a few games.
But then again, does anyone actually know how good he is?

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
been awhile

There was a time when the globetrotters paid more than the NBA or it's forerunner. They got top players out of college then. They once played serious basketball too, taking on anyone and everyone and had a hundred game winning streak. That streak wasn't damaged playing the Lakers who were maybe the best pro team. They definitely had the best of the best player on the team when the globetrotters beat them!

Wilt the Stilt played a couple years with the globetrotters before going pro. There was a time when they could act silly on the court and still spank some pretty strong teams. They now travel with their own opponent last I knew. Part of the show, they help the trotters perform. The worst team in history, their record is something like 1win, 1xxx losses!

While I'll take the first hand report that Florian is a ways from pro speed right now, Mike Massey won some large tournaments in very good company before taking up trick shooting full time. When in russia he played in a pyramid tournament. Those pockets are a gnat's ear bigger than the balls. He finished third or fourth, wasn't blown out or embarrassed.

Hu

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
They now travel with their own opponent last I knew. Part of the show, they help the trotters perform. The worst team in history, their record is something like 1win, 1xxx losses!
Hu

I went to see them just last year. The opposing team absolutely plays no defense. They just go through the motions trying to look like they are playing defense.

Also, the Globetrotters team I saw last year had at least two women playing. One of them actually had some decent minutes played and pulled off her part of her routine just like it was supposed to be done.

Maniac

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Olympic gold medalist

I went to see them just last year. The opposing team absolutely plays no defense. They just go through the motions trying to look like they are playing defense.

Also, the Globetrotters team I saw last year had at least two women playing. One of them actually had some decent minutes played and pulled off her part of her routine just like it was supposed to be done.

Maniac

One lady they had playing for them recently is an Olympic gold medalist. No idea how she is at comedy but I suspect she isn't a slouch handling a basketball. I haven't seen them in over fifty years so I am not real current about them! I would have liked to seen them more often with my family. Nice to take children to an event and know you won't have to be explaining what things mean to a child or ducking around the question.

Hu

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have a hunch he would be very tough. I know they are different disciplines, but he can work the cue ball like a wizard,

Yes, when given 100 takes, he can certainly do some crazy stuff with the cue ball.

and his hand to eye coordination is insane.

Yes, it is... But lots of bar bangers have fantastic hand-eye coordination, and will make the craziest shots you ever saw in your life... In route to hooking themselves on the 8, and losing the game easily.

Ida know... I mean, he's a YouTube personality, and I am sure he enjoys his trick shots, but competition is a whole 'nuther thing, and requires a very specific mindset to succeed. And this mindset USUALLY push these players into actual competitions, not to set up in their garage and shooting thousands of attempts at trick shots in order to get one crazy take on film.

I have never been a fan of YouTube "trick shot" channels where the talent obviously took hundreds of takes to get one special shot. This is not just a pool thing, there are other channels that do the same thing.

That being said, there are many many other factors to being a great pool player that fall outside of the physical ability to make a shot.

Short Bus Russ

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, when given 100 takes, he can certainly do some crazy stuff with the cue ball.

Yes, it is... But lots of bar bangers have fantastic hand-eye coordination, and will make the craziest shots you ever saw in your life... In route to hooking themselves on the 8, and losing the game easily.

Ida know... I mean, he's a YouTube personality, and I am sure he enjoys his trick shots, but competition is a whole 'nuther thing, and requires a very specific mindset to succeed. And this mindset USUALLY push these players into actual competitions, not to set up in their garage and shooting thousands of attempts at trick shots in order to get one crazy take on film.

I have never been a fan of YouTube "trick shot" channels where the talent obviously took hundreds of takes to get one special shot. This is not just a pool thing, there are other channels that do the same thing.

That being said, there are many many other factors to being a great pool player that fall outside of the physical ability to make a shot.

Short Bus Russ

Excellent post, Russ. Florian is an entertainer, plain and simple, one we admire and enjoy. He's a classy, congenial guy, too, so most of us like him and wish him well. He definitely brings positive attention to our game.

... but he's not a pro level player, not even close.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Excellent post, Russ. Florian is an entertainer, plain and simple, one we admire and enjoy. He's a classy, congenial guy, too, so most of us like him and wish him well. He definitely brings positive attention to our game.

... but he's not a pro level player, not even close.

all of this,
/thread,
been said several times over

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure whether or not you were saying that I have no concept of what a pro player is, but on a scale of 1-10 of probability, Kohler's probability of beating some random pro player, let's say..3, would be higher than the Globetrotter's ....maybe 1 or 2 (of beating a pro team). And I wasn't talking of him being good enough to make money on the tour, rather good enough to snap off a few games.
But then again, does anyone actually know how good he is?

i was talking about florian

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Warriors were in Philadelphia, when Wilt Chamberlain first came in the League, then the Warriors moved to California. The Supersonics moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City, and the Cincinnati Royals started in Rochester, New York, and eventually moved to Kansas City as the Kings, later moving to Sacramento. Similarly, the ABA featured Dunking, and shooting 3-Pointers, which was shunned and ridiculed by the NBA, but are the main features of the NBA nowadays! Likewise, 9-Ball rules changed to Texas Express, and some people I observed are playing 8-Ball by Ball-in-hand rules. Does that make them any less relevant?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Here Florian plays race to 3 vs Average player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9p_FEf5QdU

He actually looks pretty decent in that video. Some shots that maybe would be a little bit more controlled if he stun followed instead of rolled the ball, but... And even when he hit what looked like a poor shot here and there, it looked like he did it on purpose to inject a little uncertainty into the match..

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
logical for the win!

I'm not knocking the dude because he is good at what he does and has earned what he has.

I have a cousin that does trick shots as well... he hates it when I tell him if he wants to show me a trick, try running 9 or 10 balls out in numerical order or run 7 stripes or solids then the 8 ball... :thumbup:...

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Silly Rabbit .......

Attachments

• sillyrabbit.jpg
    sillyrabbit.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 232

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I respect the opinions of those who say that he might struggle.

Playing against Strickland, Archer, Reyes, etc. In the bright lights would be stressful for anyone; but at least he Knows he's capable of making that cue ball dance. If I had that kind of sick cue ball control, you'd see me in Vegas.

I also agree he is on top of the world now, so why risk it? Just one big tournament win would prove a point though......

Yes and just one tournament where he goes 2 and out might torpedo the rest of his career. like you and others said, why risk it?

He's a hell of a guy, one amazing trick shot artist, very talented gentleman. I used to watch him way back when there was still green on his home table, on grainy YouTube clips with bad soundtracks and 550 views. I'm a true fanboy!!

That being said, he'd get chewed alive in any pro tournament currently, without seriously giving up the rest of his career and only focusing on one discipline for 6-10 months. Even still the odds are stacked against him.

Think about this, Connor McGregor was on top of his MMA career, and people thought with that speed and knockout power, he could prove a point. Just one win over a single professional box...... oops. ;)

Think about another thing - I can rattle off about 25 player (maybe more) right now that I would be extremely confident they could give 4 games on the wire to 13, and bet it up until I went broke against Kohler.

........how many would give the same 4 games to Shaw? Or Alex?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Florian vs SVB, Race to 21, 10 Ball, on a 9' or 10' Diamond.

If SVB doesn't win by more than 3 racks, then Florian makes his point either way.

Or substitute Alex, Jason, or whoever for SVB. If they can't beat Florian by more than 3, in a race to 21; he deserves to be in the conversation.

This is so silly!!

Can I offer an another angle of perspective? Shaw beat Deuel 11-1 in the Open.

Well...... I've got Deuel all day to beat Florian to 21, and much more than 3 racks weight.