OB Classic Pro Review

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I got my OB Classic Pro on Monday, and although I was pretty sick, I had to go test it out. Here's my review summation: I LOVE IT!!

The details: I ordered it from AZBMarketPlace, and I had them swap out the default everest tip for a Kamui Black Super-Soft. Now, this is different from my normal tip, which is a Kamui Black Soft. Although, honestly, I'm not sure I can really tell a difference in the hit just yet. I'm too new to the shaft to be able to feel the tip by itself.

This shaft is 11.75mm, about 1mm thinner than my playing shaft. Initial observations are that it is a great deal stiffer than my stock Lucasi shaft; which I hadn't really expected, but so far, I really like it. The tiny ferrule looks a little strange at first, but is quickly forgotten. In fact, the tip is actually taller than the ferrule at this time. I need to reshape it a bit as it's very flat, and I prefer more of a dime-ish radius tip.

You might recall that after my put the Black-Soft on my regular shaft I wasn't sure how I liked the sound of the ping - it sounded... "plastic-y" to me. Well, this shaft is entirely different sound... it has a very good wood-based ping sound; I very much prefer it to my regular shaft.

There is one thing that will take some getting used to: the laminate lines running down the length of the shaft. 98% of them are so near identical it's not an issue, but there's 1 in particular that's quite a bit darker than the rest. It stands out like a seam; although I know it's not. It does distract the eye a bit at first. A slight turn of the cue removes the distraction so, again, not really an issue; just something I noticed.

Now - as for playability... I just love it. I feel like I'm hitting the cueball more accurately, and I can more accurately control just how much english I'm applying. 1-tip, 2-tips in any direction; they are entirely different areas of the cueball; not nearly as close together as the older shaft appeared. The shaft doesn't flex nearly as easily or as much as my stock Lucasi; but it also doesn't bouce and vibrate like the old either.

Deflection? There's such a thing as "deflection"? Not really. Not hardly. My standard deflection test is to put the cue ball on the headspot and an object ball on the 2nd diamond frozen to the rail. I shoot to make the OB and send the cue ball 3 rails back across the headstring using inside english. With my stock Lucasi shaft, in order to make this shot, I have to aim at center object ball - nearly exactly straight as it lies. With the OBCP, I only have to adjust my aim about a tip's width from the ghost ball+objec ball line of centers to make the ball. For nearly all shots that are less than "hard" power - I don't have to compensate for deflection - AT ALL (exceptions, of course for full-table length cuts, etc). For any soft or medium power, if I missed the shot, it was because I compensated for my old shaft, not the new one.

Because of this new "nearly pure aim" ability - I'm able to slice balls in I could never hit before with a consistency I never had before. For example: object ball 2-balls off the rail at the diamond just passed the side pocket. Cue ball across the table, 1 to 2 balls higher than ob. Cut the object ball into the corner, using inside english to hold the cb under the side pockets. That's a shot I would *maybe* make 1 in 10 times before. Monday night, I made 7 out of 10, and 4 in a row even.

After I did some more drills and played some "Equal Offense", I was invited to play in the 1p round-robin happening a table across from me. I agreed and we played. After running the last 4 to win the 1st rack, 3 shots into the next rack, my opponent makes a mistake and leaves me a clean shot. I start making balls... and continue to make balls. Shooting almost without fear, I'm playing position routes up-table like I'm playing 9-ball... Before I know it, there's nothing left down table and I have 9 balls. Only needed 8, but ran 9!! I didn't believe that I had just ran out, but when talking with the railbirds, they confirmed it. True - I got lucky with the layout, but I also played the proper patterns. Had to - otherwise I would not have gotten out. It's not the shaft, but also not worrying about deflection when needing to around the stack with inside is a huge relief.

For a "new" player - this is golden. For an "old school" player, they'll hate it. Me... I love it and can't see going back to a stock shaft for anything. Sorry custom cue-makers, if I ever order a cue, I might just get the butt and forgo the shaft entirely, unless they can make an ultra-thin shaft as well.

If you'd like to read more details about all the wonderful things I did with it, I'd appreciate you reading that here: http://johnny101.com/post/2010/09/29/OB-Classic-Pro-Review.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I got my OB Classic Pro on Monday, and although I was pretty sick, I had to go test it out. Here's my review summation: I LOVE IT!!

The details: I ordered it from AZBMarketPlace, and I had them swap out the default everest tip for a Kamui Black Super-Soft. Now, this is different from my normal tip, which is a Kamui Black Soft. Although, honestly, I'm not sure I can really tell a difference in the hit just yet. I'm too new to the shaft to be able to feel the tip by itself.

This shaft is 11.75mm, about 1mm thinner than my playing shaft. Initial observations are that it is a great deal stiffer than my stock Lucasi shaft; which I hadn't really expected, but so far, I really like it. The tiny ferrule looks a little strange at first, but is quickly forgotten. In fact, the tip is actually taller than the ferrule at this time. I need to reshape it a bit as it's very flat, and I prefer more of a dime-ish radius tip.

You might recall that after my put the Black-Soft on my regular shaft I wasn't sure how I liked the sound of the ping - it sounded... "plastic-y" to me. Well, this shaft is entirely different sound... it has a very good wood-based ping sound; I very much prefer it to my regular shaft.

There is one thing that will take some getting used to: the laminate lines running down the length of the shaft. 98% of them are so near identical it's not an issue, but there's 1 in particular that's quite a bit darker than the rest. It stands out like a seam; although I know it's not. It does distract the eye a bit at first. A slight turn of the cue removes the distraction so, again, not really an issue; just something I noticed.

Now - as for playability... I just love it. I feel like I'm hitting the cueball more accurately, and I can more accurately control just how much english I'm applying. 1-tip, 2-tips in any direction; they are entirely different areas of the cueball; not nearly as close together as the older shaft appeared. The shaft doesn't flex nearly as easily or as much as my stock Lucasi; but it also doesn't bouce and vibrate like the old either.

Deflection? There's such a thing as "deflection"? Not really. Not hardly. My standard deflection test is to put the cue ball on the headspot and an object ball on the 2nd diamond frozen to the rail. I shoot to make the OB and send the cue ball 3 rails back across the headstring using inside english. With my stock Lucasi shaft, in order to make this shot, I have to aim at center object ball - nearly exactly straight as it lies. With the OBCP, I only have to adjust my aim about a tip's width from the ghost ball+objec ball line of centers to make the ball. For nearly all shots that are less than "hard" power - I don't have to compensate for deflection - AT ALL (exceptions, of course for full-table length cuts, etc). For any soft or medium power, if I missed the shot, it was because I compensated for my old shaft, not the new one.

Because of this new "nearly pure aim" ability - I'm able to slice balls in I could never hit before with a consistency I never had before. For example: object ball 2-balls off the rail at the diamond just passed the side pocket. Cue ball across the table, 1 to 2 balls higher than ob. Cut the object ball into the corner, using inside english to hold the cb under the side pockets. That's a shot I would *maybe* make 1 in 10 times before. Monday night, I made 7 out of 10, and 4 in a row even.

After I did some more drills and played some "Equal Offense", I was invited to play in the 1p round-robin happening a table across from me. I agreed and we played. After running the last 4 to win the 1st rack, 3 shots into the next rack, my opponent makes a mistake and leaves me a clean shot. I start making balls... and continue to make balls. Shooting almost without fear, I'm playing position routes up-table like I'm playing 9-ball... Before I know it, there's nothing left down table and I have 9 balls. Only needed 8, but ran 9!! I didn't believe that I had just ran out, but when talking with the railbirds, they confirmed it. True - I got lucky with the layout, but I also played the proper patterns. Had to - otherwise I would not have gotten out. It's not the shaft, but also not worrying about deflection when needing to around the stack with inside is a huge relief.

For a "new" player - this is golden. For an "old school" player, they'll hate it. Me... I love it and can't see going back to a stock shaft for anything. Sorry custom cue-makers, if I ever order a cue, I might just get the butt and forgo the shaft entirely, unless they can make an ultra-thin shaft as well.

If you'd like to read more details about all the wonderful things I did with it, I'd appreciate you reading that here: http://johnny101.com/post/2010/09/29/OB-Classic-Pro-Review.aspx

This old schooler sure doesn't hate the OB Classic Pro. It is a great playing shaft.

westcoastwillie

WestCoastWillie
So you think old schoolers don't have a clue ?

No offense taken, just wanted to "be-ach" slap you for fun!

I've been playing for almost 40 years now and don't have a problem with hi-tech shafts.

I think the OB's are pretty equivalent to the Predator's in accuracy, perhaps even better. However, they have a much nicer hit that's reminiscent of a high quality standard maple shaft.

I am a dealer of many billiard product lines and am more than happy to offer both OB and Predator, as they are both good products.

Willie :dance:

PS Now, as for a Driver (golf club) that looks like a Volkswagen on the end of a stick ...? You know where you can stick it! :shocked2:

Whereas hi tech golf clubs (with their incredible length off the tee and down the fairway) turn many otherwise nice golf courses into defacto "executive" or shorty courses not worth playing, I don't think that hi-tech pool shafts cause the same degradation of the sport as in golf.

JoeyA

Silver Member

I'm not sure if I qualify as an old school player or not. I have been around a while and I sure don't hate the OB Classic Pro. My thoughts parallel yours in most every way.

BTW, I use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax to fill the pores of all of my OB shafts. It helps to prevent the shaft from turning blue so easily. Don't worry, you'll forget about that one laminate line soon enough when you start concentrating on what you should be doing when you're down on the cue ball.

Also, I noticed that I started banking better with the OB Classic Pro. I'm not sure if it is the Kamui Black Soft tip or the OB Classic Pro that is helping me bank better. I'm really a terrible banker and need more improvement.

I probably have 8 shafts for my Mike Bender POW-MIA cue. I've tried Predator, Meucci, traditional maple shafts, Lake Wood Salvage maple and of course OB Cue Shafts. So far OB shafts lead the way. I'll continue to explore new equipment but it's nice to see your experience with OB Classic Pro is similar to mine.

(Good review btw,)

danutz

Banned
11.75 mm sounds like a snooker shaft to me:p Newbs like skinny shafts cause they can actually get english to stick with them. does'nt mean it's good for their game in the long run:thumbup: I used to love me a meucci when i first started playing, now i can't stand the whippy pos's. I know the only reason i liked them then was that i could load up whitey easily, even with my non-existent stroke:thumbup:

JoeyA

Silver Member
11.75 mm sounds like a snooker shaft to me:p Newbs like skinny shafts cause they can actually get english to stick with them. does'nt mean it's good for their game in the long run:thumbup: I used to love me a meucci when i first started playing, now i can't stand the whippy pos's. I know the only reason i liked them then was that i could load up whitey easily, even with my non-existent stroke:thumbup:

The 11.75 is right at the end of the OB Classic Pro. The size of the shaft where your bridge is, is probably close to any other traditional maple playing shaft. (It has a cone shape taper, not a pro (straight taper).

Oh yeah, OB Classic Pro is FAR from whippy! ;-)

d_b

Registered
Thanks for this review, stljohnny.

After reading this, and other positive comments about the OB Classic Pro, I decided I had to try one. Scot at Proficient Billiards did a beautiful job fitting this shaft to my collarless Jacoby not-quite-as-sneaky-now-pete. After a grueling two week wait, I had my cue with the OB Classic Pro back in my hands (thanks for the amazingly quick turnaround, Scot!)

I've had the cue for less than a week, so I can't really add to your review, but I'll be back to add some comments once I get a better sense of this shaft.

cheers!

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought 3 so far

Bought two for my Ray Schuler and one for my Tim Scruggs sneaky pete. I love them it. Now that I have a stick I love again and my soft kamiu on it, I'm miserable. I no longer have an excuse to play as bad as I do!

Ted

PS
Lots of correspondence and time working with Doc... Extremely impressed their customer service and communication style... These guys are first class.

Poonstar

Registered NiT
OB Classic

I would have to disagree about the OB shaft. I find that it's a little too stiff and takes away from the feel and feedback that other shafts provide. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely a fan of low deflection shafts, but I also believe that too much of a good thing can be detrimental. The OB in my opinion plays very similar to the Predator Z shaft. I've come to the conclusion that the shortcomings of the OB can really become evident when you're attempting to slide or stun the cue ball for shape. I notice it's also difficult when you're jacked up over a ball as I have a tendency to end up masse-ing unintentionally due to how stiff the hit is. I have a Mezz Hybrid Pro II currently and I'm stepping back to the Predator 314, which by comparison has a considerable amount of deflection when compared to the Mezz, Predator Z and OB shafts. A little deflection seems to give me more control over playing shape and in my opinion place more english on the cue ball.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to disagree about the OB shaft. I find that it's a little too stiff and takes away from the feel and feedback that other shafts provide. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely a fan of low deflection shafts, but I also believe that too much of a good thing can be detrimental. The OB in my opinion plays very similar to the Predator Z shaft. I've come to the conclusion that the shortcomings of the OB can really become evident when you're attempting to slide or stun the cue ball for shape. I notice it's also difficult when you're jacked up over a ball as I have a tendency to end up masse-ing unintentionally due to how stiff the hit is. I have a Mezz Hybrid Pro II currently and I'm stepping back to the Predator 314, which by comparison has a considerable amount of deflection when compared to the Mezz, Predator Z and OB shafts. A little deflection seems to give me more control over playing shape and in my opinion place more english on the cue ball.

That's not the stiffness. that's the smaller tip

jakefats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the best shaft for artistic pool, combined with my schuler cue the hit is amazing, I can get a lot of action with less effort. :thumbup:

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator Z to OB Classic Pro Converts

Anyone here convert from a Predator Z series to a OB Classic Pro? Can you provide some insight on why?

I've been shooting with the original Predator Z and I've been looking into this shaft for a while. Thanks!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
In my opinion and from my *subjective* feeling the Both OB Shafts the pro and the usual OB2 have far more *feel*. I wasn t able to get friend with a z or also a z² shaft- both were in my opinion kind of dead.

But that s always subjective.

lg
Ingo

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB classic

I had an OB classic made for my 1962 Abe Rich cue. It' s great match. I am considering one for my custom frey made in 1991. It's a great cue but at times I get better results with the Rich and OB shaft. I think reduced deflection on long shots requiring english is the reason. Has anyone tried a frey with that shaft?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Classic on a Schuler butt

I have not used a Predator, but i can tell you I get incredible feel with the OB Classic on my Schuler butt. I have two now. I was looking for a new stick, always trying to find something similar to my current cue. Spent some money just to realize I just need to love what I have.