Be careful of counterfeits

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was recently brought to my attention that there have been raffles of counterfeit goods going off.

Here are two that I know of -

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=227109

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=227683

Sterling Gaming, being the exclusive distributor of the J Flowers Tribute cases, does not guarantee any of the workmanship of the cases being raffled by this member. He is not an authorized dealer of J Flowers Tribute cases, and we can not honor any claims for defective products that customers receive through these raffles.

There are hidden details that alert us, Sterling Gaming, to the authenticity of any case that has a warranty claim. I apologize in advance to anyone who has won/purchased one of these cases and has a problem with it, as there is nothing that Sterling Gaming will be able to do to support counterfeit products that are defective, or damage cues.

It's a shame that people willingly defraud others with counterfeit goods and we will do our best to monitor and detect such activities and warn consumers accordingly.

Last edited:

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are images of at least two counterfeit models we have seen being raffled

Attachments

• Fake Flowers 1.jpg
    Fake Flowers 1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,647
  • Fake Flowers 2.jpg
    Fake Flowers 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,649

inas502

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How do you know they are counterfeit....... and what are the chances thet the cues he is rafflin off are counterfeit?????

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well the Brand "J Flowers Tribute" is exclusively distributed by JB and Sterling. So it is listed as that and they are saying they are counterfit so either way listed the way they are they are incorrect.

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brand name is protected under law. The reason we must be diligent in protecting the name is because Sterling offers a lifetime warranty on the cases, however we will not warranty any cases that were not made under our directives and to our exact specifications.

Trademarks are there for CONSUMER protection. They were created so that a company can build a reputation on them and so the consumer can rely on that reputation.

For us, identifying counterfeit cases is easy, as these cases are produced in very limited quantities and we know what we built.

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I won a fake case? Are these authentically manufactured and just not going through the proper sales channel?

scruggsinhand

bla-bla-bla- shutup+shoot
Silver Member
Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Monstermash and I are thinking the same way I believe - I meant in context not the brand...

was the listing willingly intended to misrepresent a JB shop flowers case OR was it just a flowers tribute case as other case makers have done...

Before publicly posting your announcement as a fake what measures did you take to contact and discuss the matter with tasaddicts?

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
i'm curious, are they fakes made by the same company who makes yours only that company sells them also? or are they made by someone else altogether?

is this an indication of some other internal issues?

guy

scruggsinhand

bla-bla-bla- shutup+shoot
Silver Member
Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
the following was sent to me via PM and I feel others should have access to the same info - so I am sharing it via copy/paste with no editing/additions on my part.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The cases bear the J.Flowers trademark. They were not made by John Barton nor Jiasen. Thus they are counterfeits. "J.Flowers" is the brand/trademark. Same as Nike.

The seller knows that the cases are fake. I asked him about it and his response indicated that he doesn't care.

He knows full well that if the cases did not have the J.Flowers brand on them then he would not be able to get the money he has gotten out of them.

John Barton and the distributor Sterling Gaming have already confirmed that they cases are fakes. What is the problem here?

The seller has altered the current raffle to reflect the situation. Why doesn't he respond?

The only plausible explanation and the one I see coming is that he was duped by whomever supplied him the cases. But his response to me leads me to believe that he knew and doesn't care.

Furthermore I think that the Predator cases he is selling are counterfeit as well. I have reported him to Predator so that they can make that determination for themselves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mlalum

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's interesting is I received almost the same pm but it wasn't from the original poster. It was from another member with only 2 posts. I'm not quite sure what's going on here but something is more than a little fishy IMO.

Your pm came from John Barton. He and Karen Barton are currently banned so he needed to send it to you under another account.

phoenixrising

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's also interesting because he keeps sending me emails asking me to contact John Barton. Additionally, he is very hypocritical by stating that the counterfeits are not licensed to use the J. Flowers name but aren't the "tribute" cases using the name without permission and thinking it's ok because they call it a tribute?

Regardless, I think it's a little funny that we haven't heard from the person running the raffle. I would really like to hear his take on this.

Sir or Miss,

I was trying to relate to you what I learned from John Barton when I emailed him. I suggested to you that you should email him if you want to hear his take on this and provided you the email address.

I explained to you that the whole story behind the name and the controversy is at the JB Cases website if you cared to read it.

To give you short version again, "J.Flowers" is the brand. There has never been a Flowers brand of case on the market. The original brand was J.E.F. Q Cases, as explained on John's website. You don't appear to understand anything about trademark law but there is no infringement from what I can see. I do not intend to argue with you about this and would suggest that you do a little research before accusing John Barton of theft.

I also would like to hear what the seller has to say. When I sent him a pm earlier in the day the answer I got back indicated to me that he knows that the cases are fake and he doesn't care. Maybe I read that wrong but in any event I won't be buying one from him.

TBON21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
How can someone tell if they have a fake? I traded a cue for a 3x6 a few months back, just curious if I've been had??