Profile change on Gold Crown 1

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'd like to change the rubber on a Gold Crown 1 from k-55 to k-66 Artemis.
Any downsides to this?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I assume you intend to simply change out the cushions, without modifying the subrail.

If that is the case, you will want to make sure you install the rubber lower on the face of the subrail, to keep your nose height at 1 7/16". It is critical to keep the nose height at 1 7/16" or just slightly above. If you go any lower, balls will hop upon rebound. The biggest downside to mounting the k66 lower on the subrail, is that you will feel a ridge along the edge of the cushion, where the subrail height is higher than the rubber. Once you get cloth on the rails, it isn't horribly obvious, but it is still noticeable. However, the playability of the table will be a little better than it was with the k55 cushions, and the field of play will return to 50" x 100", as it was with the old Monarch cushions that were originally installed.

I know there are some well known mechanics that eliminate the aforementioned ridge by belt sanding it off. You don't want to do that, as it makes the subrails much harder to correct, should you ever wish to have them modified in the future.

I'd like to change the rubber on a Gold Crown 1 from k-55 to k-66 Artemis.
Any downsides to this?

Which k-66 Artemis cushion are you referring to.....the k-66 pool cushion or the k-66 intercontinental in which that's a k-55 cushion.
Why not just stay with the Brunswick super speed....and not worry about modifications.
The super speed may play a little slower without a modification....but will work as is.

Mark Gregory

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Which k-66 Artemis cushion are you referring to.....the k-66 pool cushion or the k-66 intercontinental in which that's a k-55 cushion.
Why not just stay with the Brunswick super speed....and not worry about modifications.
The super speed may play a little slower without a modification....but will work as is.

Mark Gregory

Will the Super Speeds play as fast, faster, or slower than the Artemis? I was talking to you about redoing my rails for Super Speeds, my sub-rails were already modified for Artemis but I dont not remember which profile, I am sure there is a common one everyone uses when changing from Monarchs to a current profile. I could look at my invoice to find out which I have, its just not handy to do at this minute. I would like my cushions to rebound slightly quicker than they do now.

Will the Super Speeds play as fast, faster, or slower than the Artemis? I was talking to you about redoing my rails for Super Speeds, my sub-rails were already modified for Artemis but I dont not remember which profile, I am sure there is a common one everyone uses when changing from Monarchs to a current profile. I could look at my invoice to find out which I have, its just not handy to do at this minute. I would like my cushions to rebound slightly quicker than they do now.

I really can't answer that question......everything depends on how the sub rails are cut and what angle the cushions are installed.
In other words....all depends on who works on your rails.....Glen said it best....you just can't follow numbers and expect great results.

I put super speed on a lot of tables in the past 6 months and the feed back to me was they all love the cushions and the way the pockets play.

But remember.....I calibrate the rail to the sub rail....then the sub rail to the cushion.
Makes all the difference in the world...the rail has no big drop from the Formica to the sub rail.
I like the super speed the best....but again....that's what I like.....doesn't mean everyone should like the way they play.

As for are super speed cushions as fast as Artemis......super speed cushions are harder than Artemis cushions......there for when the cloth start to wear and gets older.....the Artemis cushions play faster......that's what I don't like about them.

Players want to know when they hit a ball a certain speed in to a cushion.....they expect that ball to return from the cushion at a certain speed....and when the ball comes off faster....the players get uncomfortable with the table...and start to play tenative and lose their stroke.

Remember.....the Artemis intercontinental 66 is made for straight rail Billiards. That's why the cushions take more English and play faster than any other cushion.
But the up side is....the cushion will last a long time.
I think the way I do rails with super speed cushions....they play at a very good speed.

Probably not the answer you we're looking for.....but it's the only one I've got.

Mark Gregory

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks Mark, I completely understand. The problem that I am having is my table is a 9' table and I play league on 7' tables so everything being equal I will always need a firmer stroke on my table. Its not that my table plays slow but I think everything plays slow relative to a 7' Red Label Diamond. I always feel like I am just tapping the cue ball around and frequently over run position. It seems real easy to end up 2" away from object ball when you where trying for 24", especially when going up and down the table on the Diamond. I can get 8 rails on my table hitting the cue ball around the table which was what I got on a 9' Diamond hitting the same way, so I guess its just the size difference giving me trouble. That said I definitely do not want to slow my table down at all when you re calibrate my rails, I guess you will have more answers for me when you actually have them in hand.

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Gregory

I have the Artemis Intercontinental now and love they way they play. I had superspeed before and I think they are a little too slow - but then again I like the way diamonds play.

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mark, I completely understand. The problem that I am having is my table is a 9' table and I play league on 7' tables so everything being equal I will always need a firmer stroke on my table. Its not that my table plays slow but I think everything plays slow relative to a 7' Red Label Diamond. I always feel like I am just tapping the cue ball around and frequently over run position. It seems real easy to end up 2" away from object ball when you where trying for 24", especially when going up and down the table on the Diamond. I can get 8 rails on my table hitting the cue ball around the table which was what I got on a 9' Diamond hitting the same way, so I guess its just the size difference giving me trouble. That said I definitely do not want to slow my table down at all when you re calibrate my rails, I guess you will have more answers for me when you actually have them in hand.

You cant go wrong either way, Mark will get either cushion to play perfect. From my experience the artemis do play a tad faster - but very true. I did not care too much for the superspeeds, but then again I did not have Mark calibrate the rails for them. I ended up getting a set of Artemis for a really good deal and decided to get the pockets done right. I was tired of having balls spit out when they hit the facing because the pocket cut angles were all jacked up.

You cant go wrong with either - and if Mark prefers the Superspeed, then that must tell you something :)

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one last thing!

The way Mark calibrates these rails and get them to play perfectly, don't be hesitant to go with a little smaller pocket size if you are contemplating doing so. I have 4 3/8 inch corners and wish I gotten at least 4 1/8 because of how clean the pockets accepts the ball when fired down the rail. You will be impressed as I was when you get them back.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Mark Gregory

Thanx, Mark....going with SuperSpeed...I had no idea what I was getting into.
I could get a good price on Artemis K-66 but installing is a big deal.

Thanx to everyone who spoke up, between here and the main forum and
PMs, I think I quintupled my knowledge of cushions.

Mark....did you actually make Joe Lawrence eat a piece of chalk at Breakers?
:)

Thanx, Mark....going with SuperSpeed...I had no idea what I was getting into.
I could get a good price on Artemis K-66 but installing is a big deal.

Thanx to everyone who spoke up, between here and the main forum and
PMs, I think I quintupled my knowledge of cushions.

Mark....did you actually make Joe Lawrence eat a piece of chalk at Breakers?
:)

LMAO.....now that's truly a funny memory.....joe is by far a funny guy.
We were playing 9-ball....and he just had played the Bush Wacker ( Gary Noland ) another great player....the night before.
So I come walking in and Joe....yells at me....what do you want to do?
I said play...what do you think......as we start....joe looks at me and says....if you beat me I'll eat the chalk.....I laughed and said I hope your hungery. Lol
I got beating on him and sure enough....he starts eating the chalk....no shit....he's eating the chalk......then he starts throughing the object balls in the air and putting his head under the ball as it's coming down...knocking him on the head.....and I mean hard.....Bush and I are laughing are ass off.
This goes on till he goes broke.....10 years later....I'm walking in to the US open...and there's Joe standing out front.....lol.....I thought he was going to bite my head off......I want you.....you can gamble all you got......I told him we sure can.......wouldn't you know it....we drw one and other first round...Lol
Tony Ellin and Johnny archer are egging joe on.....man we have to sweat this match they said.

I'm shooting the gem winning 9 in straight in the corner in line where Joe is sitting.....he's pulling on the curtains trying to shark me....and pulls the whole rail down.......Tony and Johnny started laughing so hard.....I just look at Joe and start laughing....he gives me the 9....which I was way ahead anyways......and till this day I've not seen Joe.

He was definite worth the price of admission. Lol......and he was a great player.

Funny story.....but a lot funnier if you could have seen it happen.

Mark Gregory