Knowing how to miss, the luck thread

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone actually noted how may "rolls" your opponent gets vs what you get in a match or night? Or it everything just "he always gets lucky, I never do" without keeping track of the actual occurrences. We all complain about it I'm sure, internally or actually yapping about it LOL, but has anyone actually taken out a notepad and jotted down when luck is a factor to know for sure?

I keep meaning too but always forget about it. Last night my team-mates got screwed in the luck department, every miss by the other team seemed to leave a hard shot or accidental safe, when my team missed, it would be an easy shot.

Could it just be that bad players tend to spray balls all over the place anyway and get lucky that way vs good players being more controlled and trying not to run into other balls and play good position? I remember a quote from a book where two good players were playing and one of them said that "you can't even get lucky on me to win like a bad player would, you play too good".

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SHOT TO NOTHING

A word some pool players tends to forget.

Yes that is another way of saying "two way shot" but I am talking about luck not a calculation of where the other ball will be going if you miss. Like you have 3 balls on the table, you miss, you hit every ball in every direction and leave the cueball snookered. Or you miss a shot, then not only leave a bank but hit another ball and make that one a lot harder to make even if the other guy makes a bank.

I once had a guy with two trouble balls, one was impossible to make where it was. The guy missed his shot, went 2 rails into a trouble ball, accidentally made that ball, lined up his next ball in the pocket and some other ball broke out the last ball he needed to be free. I laughed at him and conceded the game, told him I can't beat such quality play.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something else that is funny with lucky shots, when your opponent makes fun of you for crapping a ball in, then does the same thing on his turn. It sometimes takes a lot of willpower not to make comments then LOL

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t ever get upset when someone misses and hooks me. I usually feel like I’m the lucky one for even getting a turn!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t ever get upset when someone misses and hooks me. I usually feel like I’m the lucky one for even getting a turn!

Bingo. I have ZERO control over what happens when Im not at the table. Attaching an emotion (especially a negative one) to an opponents lucky shot etc, is counter productive IMHO. :thumbup:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I’m generally a what do I do from here kind of guy. Keeping positive is key. You get down on yourself and focus on the stuff you can’t control does nothing but make your chances worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Could it just be that bad players tend to spray balls all over the place anyway and get lucky that way vs good players being more controlled and trying not to run into other balls and play good position? I remember a quote from a book where two good players were playing and one of them said that "you can't even get lucky on me to win like a bad player would, you play too good".

I think that is exactly the case where the lower level player is constantly rearranging the table and tying up balls etc. I think I am more likely to lose against a lower level player than an equal or better player for those reasons. I play almost exclusively 8 ball, I also work hard on my break, making sure to park the cue ball center table. I cant even begin to tell you how often I play a lower level player whose cue ball flies up and down the table and the CB stops in the jaws of the pocket with a ball 1" away blocking everything. The incoming player actually ends up paying a penalty because his opponent cant break well, he doesnt make balls or control the cue ball. I end up playing lower level players in league frequently, I get a lot of practice playing them and still have not found ways to consistently beat them. Even if I play a lock up safety they find a way to accidentally rearrange the table in a way that makes it more difficult for me to get out, even with BIH.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know exactly what this is about.

I guess I must be one lucky mfer, coz I often turn the table over and get to come back, with things better than when I left.

Grandslam

Registered
I think that is exactly the case where the lower level player is constantly rearranging the table and tying up balls etc. I think I am more likely to lose against a lower level player than an equal or better player for those reasons. I play almost exclusively 8 ball, I also work hard on my break, making sure to park the cue ball center table. I cant even begin to tell you how often I play a lower level player whose cue ball flies up and down the table and the CB stops in the jaws of the pocket with a ball 1" away blocking everything. The incoming player actually ends up paying a penalty because his opponent cant break well, he doesnt make balls or control the cue ball. I end up playing lower level players in league frequently, I get a lot of practice playing them and still have not found ways to consistently beat them. Even if I play a lock up safety they find a way to accidentally rearrange the table in a way that makes it more difficult for me to get out, even with BIH.

I also fall into this trap so I constantly remind self of 1=I can only control anything when I am shooting and 2=shit happens. Negative thoughts produce negative actions.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
One of the major "luck" factors is good speed control.

This is true in 8-ball, especially. Good speed will hook your opponent more than accuracy, sometimes. Good speed will help even when you're not trying to hook someone but do anyway via "luck."

Of course, the OTHER GUY always gets the lucky breaks....if you lose. If you don't lose, it doesn't matter. ;)

Or something like that.

Jeff Livingston

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think luck happens equally when viewed over a long enough time scale. What happens though is with good players most of their shots go as intended so they don't run into as many opportunities for luck to find them.

If a good player makes 100 shots and 90 of them go as intended and 10 do not and of that 10 he gets one really good lucky roll then he's go 1/100 lucky shots, but really 1/10 out of his shots for luck to find him.

If a bad player makes 100 shots and 50 of them go as intended and 50 do not and of that latter 50 he gets 5 that roll really lucky then he's 5/100 with lucky shots but still 1/10 out of his potential lucky shots. He just shoots more bad shots so more chances for the luck to show up.

But you know that good player is going to look at those 5 lucky rolls and think his opponent was just lucky because he only had 1 lucky roll.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yes, I keep very good notes on every game of pool in all tourneys. Currently, my opponent is at 53.79 percent better on getting a roll, while I'm at 46.21. But, damn, if feels so much worse, I would have bet it to be 90/10, at least ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone actually noted how may "rolls" your opponent gets vs what you get in a match or night? Or it everything just "he always gets lucky, I never do" without keeping track of the actual occurrences. We all complain about it I'm sure, internally or actually yapping about it LOL, but has anyone actually taken out a notepad and jotted down when luck is a factor to know for sure?

I keep meaning too but always forget about it. Last night my team-mates got screwed in the luck department, every miss by the other team seemed to leave a hard shot or accidental safe, when my team missed, it would be an easy shot.

I can't think of too many times I've lost a set to a significantly weaker player that I didn't have numerous opportunities and failed to convert. Part of that is likely because I've let their lucky rolls get to me, which only puts more pressure on me not to screw up. No question, some weaker players do seem to get lucky whenever they miss, but they miss so many shots, you'll still be presented with enough chances that you should overcome that luck, if you play smart.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rolls all eventually even out. I don't ever get mad about them anymore. For every instance I've hooked an opponent on a miss or double crossed a bank and ran out, this has happened back to me.

I will tell you this, I have found the lesser the experience of the player the more likely you are not going to like your shot when they miss. When an experienced player misses they do so in a controlled manner. They cue ball will most likely land close to where they where playing shape and a lot of times the ball will rattle or at least hit the titty and not travel too far. A lesser player usually misses by a mile and plays most shots too hard, these things lead to a lot of chaos on the table before all the balls settle, leading to more chance for "luck" to happen.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a jump cue, but I never use it. I kick so well, even 3 rails that I rarely leave a shot. One rail kicks, I guarantee you'll face a bank 4 out of 5 times. On yea, they call me lucky. They can't beat me in 3 cushion either.