Has anyone used Projection Pro Billiards to teach?

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
When I give instruction, I setup lesson plans ahead of time and then setup the table in advance of the student arriving by marking the table with the donut reinforcements. This not only takes alot of time to setup, but also gets very busy on the table as I use different color donuts so I can get 3-4 lessons on the table at a time.

I saw this product called Projection Pro Billiards that looks like it can really help me to be much more efficient with setting up the table and also having lesson plans ready to go for my students in advance. It basically projects onto the table, the precise locations and lines for ball placement. I can also project gridlines, etc. Mind you, this is not that AI ball tracking system that you may have seen that follows the cueball around, predicts angles for you, etc. This is simply for projecting a "map" on your table with the setup locations, which is exactly what I was looking for.

It is going to be a bit pricey. Looks like about $250 for the mini-computer that comes fully loaded with the software, drills, etc (and you can create your own drills), but this does not include the projector. So I figure I am looking at a $500 investment and before I drop the cash, was looking to see if any of the instructors here have used this system.

Here is the system I am talking about:
https://projectionprobilliards.com/

Thanks!
- Steve

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I give instruction, I setup lesson plans ahead of time and then setup the table in advance of the student arriving by marking the table with the donut reinforcements. This not only takes alot of time to setup, but also gets very busy on the table as I use different color donuts so I can get 3-4 lessons on the table at a time.

I saw this product called Projection Pro Billiards that looks like it can really help me to be much more efficient with setting up the table and also having lesson plans ready to go for my students in advance. It basically projects onto the table, the precise locations and lines for ball placement. I can also project gridlines, etc. Mind you, this is not that AI bal tracking system that you may have seen that follows the cueball around, predicts angles for you, etc. This is simply for projecting a "map" on your table with the setup locations, which is exactly what I was looking for.

It is going to be a bit pricey. Looks like about $250 for the mini-computer that comes fully loaded with the software, drills, etc (and you can create your own drills), but this does not include the projector. So I figure I am looking at a $500 investment and before I drop the cash, was looking to see if any of the instructors here have used this system.

Here is the system I am talking about:
https://projectionprobilliards.com/

Thanks!
- Steve
I don't use positions that are repetitive enough to warrant a table marker/mapper. Most of my somewhat repetitive spots are given by diamonds.

I think it's better to give the student all the tools he needs to work on his game on his own. Besides practice and drill design techniques, I give students a starter batch of donuts.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't use positions that are repetitive enough to warrant a table marker/mapper. Most of my somewhat repetitive spots are given by diamonds.

I think it's better to give the student all the tools he needs to work on his game on his own. Besides practice and drill design techniques, I give students a starter batch of donuts.

Donuts are the best!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
robin dreyer pool instructor is the man to contact about the product
http://www.robindreyer.com/
i have taken 2 lessons from him and think he is the greatest
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=464864
in my second lesson the system was in development stage
but i could tell how beneficial it would be for an instructor who uses drills to teach
its also great for a student who wants to use drills as part of his development
contact robin (jmho)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve, I think that you should consider rethinking your teaching methodology. Don't you want to see where your client is at or how they've progressed before you start assigning them tasks to do?

Here's an example of lesson notes that I emailed a client after our lesson. It will give you some insight into my teaching methodology, and I didn't use any reinforcement stickers on the table. The next lesson of course, will be to see if he's made progress and to either reinforce some of the stuff we did or to move on to something new.

Remember: these are specific to this particular person who is an intermediate player. My next client will get a completely different set of notes.

Dan’s Pool Notes: 4/15

Goal Setting:

Set smaller goals that will help keep you in the present.

Good goals:
a) Pocket this ball.
b) Stay down and follow through on this shot.

Bad Goals:
a) Win this game.
b) Run this rack.

Assess rather than Judge:

Assessing examples:
1.) I missed that shot because my stance was off. I felt myself leaning left and didn’t get up to reset. I will reset the next time I feel off-balance.
2.) I missed position because: I hit that shot too hard/soft/low/high/. I will make a mental note to hit it harder/softer/lower/higher, when it comes up again.
3.) I missed because I rushed that shot. I will focus on keeping a consistent rhythm.

Judging examples:
1.) Damn! I screwed up again! When will I ever learn to stay down?! I’m hopeless.
2.) I keep messing up every time I get near the end. I don’t know if I can ever fix this problem.

Recover quickly from mistakes:

Everyone makes mistakes, even the pros. Don’t give up after you make an error. Fight hard to keep yourself in play. Make that tough shot to stay in the game. The pros do it all the time. You can too.
If it’s a miss that puts you in the chair, assess what happened and decide what the fix is. If you don’t know, then remind yourself to take it to the practice table to figure out. Stay in assessment mode. Don’t chastise yourself for the miss. Stay positive, put it behind you and get back in the game.

Homework:

1.) Throw out 9 balls and try to run them out. Practice planning for the next two shots. You will not be successful much at all in the beginning but you will find that in time you will figure out the patterns.
2.) Throw out all the balls and try to run the table. Recognize what your recovery shots are and focus on making them to get you back into your run. Sometimes it takes two or more recovery shots to get back to pocketing an easier shot.

Last edited:

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
Thank you all so very much for the advice. I am new to instructing (just received my PBIA recognized instructor status about a month ago). I am still learning how to hone my skills as an instructor. I really appreciate the feedback and will definitely be incorporating your suggestions into my lesson plans.

Thanks so much!
- Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...I had Robin demo this projection system to me the first week of March, when I visited him in Oregon. Nice system...and as you said, reasonably expensive. Personally, if you use a stripe, positioned upright on the centerline of the table, shooting the stripe up and back to the CB will tell you a ton about how accurately and repeatably you're moving your cuestick. Having them utilize an SPF process, and checking their knuckles in the finish position will tell you a lot about their grip. Without an accurate, repeatable stroke, all the drills in the world won't help you actually teach yourself to play better...which is just another reason why the huge majority of PBIA instructors use the SPF Mother Drills. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com