What "if" Florian Venom Kohler decided to compete at 8,9,10 Ball?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I have a hunch he would be very tough. I know they are different disciplines, but he can work the cue ball like a wizard, and his hand to eye coordination is insane. I think he'd be very, very tough.

Just in case you haven't heard of him, he's a YouTube star extraordinaire. World champion trick shot artist. Probably the greatest alive.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hunch he would be very tough. I know they are different disciplines, but he can work the cue ball like a wizard, and his hand to eye coordination is insane. I think he'd be very, very tough.

Just in case you haven't heard of him, he's a YouTube star extraordinaire. World champion trick shot artist. Probably the greatest alive.
And newest owner of the APA Vegas franchise!

He is a great guy.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he’d do well in the APA US Amateur Championships but probably struggle at the pro level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I think he’d do well in the APA US Amateur Championships but probably struggle at the pro level.

Interesting assessment. You don't think he could hang with SVB, Alex, and the rest? We need an exhibition match, to test the waters.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Although the possibility can't be counted out, it's unreasonable to assume that his skills would translate to those of a top pro. Over the years, I've seen some guys with HUGE strokes who weren't pro speed as players.

What we can say for sure is that Florian has natural ability and if taught by one of the legends like a Jerry Briesath, Mark Wilson, Scott Lee, Randy Gottliecher, or Johann Ruijsink, it's quite possible he'd become a top player, but a) it wouldn't happen overnight, and b) it might not happen at all.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Florian on several occasions. What a quality guy!

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've played him a few times.

As most know, he is one of the best alive at artistic pool but, IMO, he needs to stick with that.

US Amateur Champion? I think not. Not even close.

I know people that can masse the hell out of a ball, jump balls like no tomorrow, set up gaff shots....etc...etc... but, cant play dead.

Then again, I know people that "play" very, very strong that cant hang with even the easiest trick shot artist.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt he would do very well at all and it would probably damage his brand.

The vast majority of his time, practice, and experience are on a trick shot or exhibition table. He would need a massive amount of hours under pressure situations where your paycheck hinges on your performance.

Why would he want to give up a guaranteed paid job for something that doesn't guarantee pay and much more stressful. Also, if he tried to play pro and did not do well, then he would be "that guy that does trick-shots because he cannot win tournaments". Having him as an unknown in that field will leave open hope and speculation to his fan base and encourage more respect.

His brand is perfect where it is at and he has totally earned it.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

I've heard his name but never saw anything of his. I just watched @ 10 vids on youtube. That kid is **SICK**.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although the possibility can't be counted out, it's unreasonable to assume that his skills would translate to those of a top pro. Over the years, I've seen some guys with HUGE strokes who weren't pro speed as players.

What we can say for sure is that Florian has natural ability and if taught by one of the legends like a Jerry Briesath, Mark Wilson, Scott Lee, Randy Gottliecher, or Johann Ruijsink, it's quite possible he'd become a top player, but a) it wouldn't happen overnight, and b) it might not happen at all.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Florian on several occasions. What a quality guy!
Yeah, nothings impossible, but a 30 year-old set-up shot shooter isn't becoming a top-player.

To suggest so is to marginalize the price champions have paid to get where they are.

He tried competing at 3-cushion and got cooked.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I respect the opinions of those who say that he might struggle.

Playing against Strickland, Archer, Reyes, etc. In the bright lights would be stressful for anyone; but at least he Knows he's capable of making that cue ball dance. If I had that kind of sick cue ball control, you'd see me in Vegas.

I also agree he is on top of the world now, so why risk it? Just one big tournament win would prove a point though......

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Trick shots = target shooting
Match play = going to war

One will enhance the other...but adjustments will have to be made

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect the opinions of those who say that he might struggle.

Playing against Strickland, Archer, Reyes, etc. In the bright lights would be stressful for anyone; but at least he Knows he's capable of making that cue ball dance. If I had that kind of sick cue ball control, you'd see me in Vegas.

I also agree he is on top of the world now, so why risk it? Just one big tournament win would prove a point though......

He would have 0 chance in the ring with "any" pro in actual game play.

Like I said before, I've played him more than once and he cant get there with me if we play even so, nope, he has zero chance as a player in the pro ranks.

I have my doubts that he could even "compete" at the amateur champion level.

The very first time I played him I would have put him around a "B-" to "B" speed as a "player". As an artistic player, well, "pro" speed for sure"

The last time I played him, I would have put him "as a player", well, around "B+" to "A-" speed. Yes, he did play much better the last time I played him but, he still couldn't "get there".

Look, what your asking is the same thing as:

Hey, that race car is "fast". I wonder if it would be a good car to drive on a long trip? Short answer: NOPE.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
ya hes not gonna take down the shaws, biados, de lunas, dennis o`s, or fillers in competition

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

He really wouldn’t stand a chance, and he’d be the first to admit it. Florian has no doubt improved over the years, but his FargoRate is 538. Sure it’s only a handful of matches, but it’s not like it’s off by a hundred. This is no knock on his artistic ability. But if you think his skills are even remotely competitive against the pros in a real tournament, you need a bit more exposure to the pool world.

Freddie <~~~ respectfully