Earl's 5 US Opens vs Shane's 5 US Opens: Who's was more difficult?

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When taking into account the difficulty of the field/competition....quality of equipment....age....New age 9-ball rules/rack....

Was Earl's 5 US Open titles ('84, '87, '93, '97, '00) more difficult to achieve than Shane's now 5 US Open titles ('07, '12, '13, '14, '16)?

Comparisons and analytics are all we have in pool to keep the fire burning, a good discussion on these is always interesting to me.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Ask this question in 4 years from now when Shane has 8 US Open titles.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps he wouldn't have choked, but he did lost something like a 20 game lead against Pagulayan years ago didn't he?

SVB was not the player then he is now. That was circa 06-07 when, despite playing really strong, he didn't have the gambling experience he has now. I don't know that it would be possible for a player to make a comeback like that again.

That said, I don't think it's fair to judge Earl harshly by what happened. As I said in my last post, pool greatness is measured by achievements, not failures. If SVB melts down and loses his next finals 11-10 after being up 10-0, missing multiple money balls...does that take away what he did today? I don't think so.

Look at Mika Immonen. He hasn't been very dominant over the last few years, nor the earlier part of the 2000s...he was a top player, but not THE top player. But he caught a gear and hit a few years where he was almost unstoppable. And he gets credit for those years, even if he didn't sustain it across decades. Although we might not have seen the last of him!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
To make that call, all you have to do is look at the fact that Shane not only won the US Open 3 times in a row....but the fact that he WON it 4 times out of the last 5 years...THAT'S in itself as a record may just stand forever! Earl never even won it 2 times in a row.

I don't think that wins a row matter at all, each tournament is a seperate event.

I do feel the open has a MUCH stronger field now, and the fact that Shane only has 10 years of Open play compared to Earls 30 or so? Makes Shane the leader between the 2.

This is similar to the argument about Tiger woods and Jack N. I feel if Tiger stayed healthy he would have easily passed Jack.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like with baseball, basketball, football and all other sports, the answer will always be, "you can't say for sure because they played in different eras."

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
But, Shane would definitely have not choked at 104-87 lead going to 120.
The GC3 table they used in TCOM had factory pocket openings. They were huge .
People don't realize how crazy good Shane's safety game and kicking game now. He beat Orcullo by his safety game.

I still have a feeling Earl was "asked" not to win by somebody.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Two points. Today's fields are way deeper and as others mentioned probably 80 guys with a legit shot.

Yesterday's sloppier equipment made for greater ability to go for those shots. Especially table length thin cuts. Today's equipment is too tight and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have a feeling Earl was "asked" not to win by somebody.

I've never heard anything like that about the Color of Money match. I watched it and it seemed like Earl went into his patented meltdown mode and Efren started to play great pool.

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many did Efren win out of those four ?

Shafts and tips do have being here the post said equipment, last i knew those items are equipment.

Not talking anything away from Shane, but can he do it with a standard shaft ?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

From my understanding, isn't Shane playing with a standard Cuetec shaft???

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
How many did Efren win out of those four ?

Shafts and tips do have being here the post said equipment, last i knew those items are equipment.

Not talking anything away from Shane, but can he do it with a standard shaft ?

You think Shane has an advantage with CUETEC shaft ?
Earl won with his CUETEC cue b/c he had an advantage ?
The other players are free to use any shaft they want as well.

Equipment has no bearing here b/c the other players can play with any equipment they want .

Any world champion today can play with regular maple shaft.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
From my understanding, isn't Shane playing with a standard Cuetec shaft???

Cuetec R-360 is a LDS. His shot making was just as good as it was with his old standard shaft cue. Johnnyt

PS: I've been able to watch both play at their top speed. It's close, but I'll give Shane the nod by a nose. Johnnyt

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I would say Earl, im not sure of the player field, but equipment wise as far as the newer shafts and tips were not really around and cloth type would be a factor.

If this is your argument then you dont have one.

The equipment is the same for the entire field for both eras... wasnt like Shane was using a low def shaft and playing on 860 and the rest of the field wasn't.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is your argument then you dont have one.

The equipment is the same for the entire field for both eras... wasnt like Shane was using a low def shaft and playing on 860 and the rest of the field wasn't.
Then explain the racks used, i might be reaching but was the Nine on the spot when Earl won them ? I know the racking system was not the same.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Then explain the racks used, i might be reaching but was the Nine on the spot when Earl won them ? I know the racking system was not the same.

No, and Earl snapped the 9 in as often as anyone back then.
Spotting the 1-ball made the break and run-outs easier for power breakers like Earl AND Shane.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
To me Fargorate is a better measure of a player's overall measure because it measures wins and losses.

We can check this. I looked at the Accu-Stats results from the last three U.S. Opens before this year (so, 2013-2015), where the TPA's for each match were recorded.

The player with the higher TPA in the match won 59 times and the player with the lower TPA won 6 times. That's almost 91% accuracy in predicting the outcome of the match.

If the player with the higher Fargo Rating won 59 out of those 65 matches I would accept that as pretty good evidence that a player's Fargo Rating is as good an indicator of their level of play as their TPA.

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
We can check this. I looked at the Accu-Stats results from the last three U.S. Opens before this year (so, 2013-2015), where the TPA's for each match were recorded.

The player with the higher TPA in the match won 59 times and the player with the lower TPA won 6 times. That's almost 91% accuracy in predicting the outcome of the match.

If the player with the higher Fargo Rating won 59 out of those 65 matches I would accept that as pretty good evidence that a player's Fargo Rating is as good an indicator of their level of play as their TPA.

Yet TPA of the match comes after it is finished. The Fargo Rate is known before the match starts.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TPA is figured during and after the match, not before. So not sure how it could predict the outcome.

Fargo isn't meant to predict anything. It's just a rating that fluctuates based on whether the player performs at, below, or above their rating in conjunction with their opponent's.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In most of Earl's US Open and World championships he was mostly competing against the best the US had and a couple of Filipinos and Europeans. Shane truly has to compete against the best from all countries, therefore, I believe Shane's wins are more impressive.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's Earl's path to victory in the 2000 US Open 9-Ball event:

1. Keith Walton 11-8
2. Clint Malicoat 11-6
3. Vincent Marcellino 11-2
4. George SanSouci 11-7
5. Tom Karabatsos 11-4
6. Vegar Kristiansen 11-9
7. Corey Deuel 11-5
8. Jon Kucharo 11-2
9. Takeshi Okumura 11-5
10. Takeshi Okumura 11-5

Total 110-53 (winning percentage 67%)

[Note: This information is from Billiards Digest, Nov. 2000. I do not know whether the list is complete.]

The relevant BD and Pool & Billiard articles for 1997 and 1993 mention only his late matches. In 1997, Earl lost to John Horsfall on the winners' side 7-11, then later beat Horsfall 11-8, then beat Reyes in the final 11-3. In 1993, Earl beat Tony Ellin in the hotseat match 13-5, then beat Ellin again in the final 11-8 (shortened for TV coverage).

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that wins a row matter at all, each tournament is a seperate event.

I do feel the open has a MUCH stronger field now, and the fact that Shane only has 10 years of Open play compared to Earls 30 or so? Makes Shane the leader between the 2.

This is similar to the argument about Tiger woods and Jack N. I feel if Tiger stayed healthy he would have easily passed Jack.

Pretty sure Jack didn't have PED's at his disposal like Tiger did. Tiger didn't stay healthy because he started using. C'mon, everybody knows that. Tiger's legacy will always be tainted because of his usage. Much like Barry Bonds.