The Difference Between a Great Shortstop & A Good Pro

John Disque

Banned
I know a lot of people who spend their lives working on their games and playing everyday... and just can't get over the hump.

I know a couple people who play for a few years, excel through the ranks and make it all look easy.

I've talked to people about this and most of them say the pro has some sort of genetic, natural ability - but it tends to sound like excuses for the local hotshot....

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know a lot of people who spend their lives working on their games and playing everyday... and just can't get over the hump.

I know a couple people who play for a few years, excel through the ranks and make it all look easy.

I've talked to people about this and most of them say the pro has some sort of genetic, natural ability - but it tends to sound like excuses for the local hotshot....

Great post, bro.

Freddie <~~~ must have missed the meat

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ever since you've started posting I have really learned so much.
Keep up the good work!

Elephant Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I case you haven't heard it is a conspiracy called CTE and kudos to the pros for keeping the secret.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think anyone can deny there is a such thing as natural talent. Take the 15 year old phenom that hasn't spent years at the table yet. I really believe it is the mental attitude at the table that is the difference. The best players have very little doubt when at the table. That is why the pre shot routine is so important. A consistent, consciously deliberate PSR leaves no room for doubt in the mind.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 13507229_10157759233995377_884798808605390319_n.jpg
    13507229_10157759233995377_884798808605390319_n.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,149

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect that natural ability has alot to do with it.

I interviewed a number of past champions over the years and it surprised me how many loved to play golf, again hand and eye coordination.

I have been around a couple youngsters, one of which was Skyler Woodward, but it seemed when he turned 16 or so, he started improving in leaps and bounds. The other youngster was a little older, maybe 17-18 when it happened overnight (again leaps and bounds). It wasnt that these guys didnt play before but it was like a growth spurt with ability.

I have read that Keith McCready had incredible vision. Obviously Keith started playing so early that he learned an unorthadox stroke. Keith was around great players and he could watch and learn from those guys, which would be huge help too. JAM always thinks we are picking on Keith but I don't think so, it would be interesting to hear if he was good for a long time and then did he have that "growth spurt" of ability in his teens that I have seen in other players.

My point is if someone is a good player and continues to play when this "growth spurt of ability" happens it can lead to becoming a great player.

JMO.

Best of rolls,

Ken

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow,,, that was a quick ban.

What did he do to get the boot?

That's a good question. I sorta liked the guy. He had a sense of humor. Hope he contacts me if and when he is in the Philly area for some cheap sets.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good question. I sorta liked the guy. He had a sense of humor. Hope he contacts me if and when he is in the Philly area for some cheap sets.

Upon further browsing, it seems he got cheeky in the other John Disque thread.

What is wrong with some people in here?

PoolChump

Banned
Many Reasons

These types of players either don't have solid fundamentals or lack the focus it takes to play at a high level. They never improve because they lack something in their game.

These types of players have solid fundamentals. Anybody with good hand-eye-coordination, have access to YouTube to learn from, and are able to spend countless hours playing can play at a high level in a few years.

Natural ability goes hand-in-hand with hand and eye coordination. Great eyesight helps, but to play at the highest level one needs to master all the aspects of the game of pool.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Deep thoughts dude. Pass the bong :thumbup: