Someone ever shoot your ball in? Ruling needed!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shot my opponents balls in giving up ball in hand to force them to shoot or breakup a ball etc. but last night my opponent failed to run out due to the fact the 8ball was locked on my ball near a corner pocket. On My trip to the table I missed two attempts to break it out and ran 5balls off. My 6th shot I banked my ball to same end to give my self a breakout & a safe ball to get hits on, while leaving my cue ball frozen on end rail 7ft away with his 8 ball behind my other ball. This is when he shot my ball in.....without using the cueball! is this the same ball in hand foul as if you did it with ball? Never seen this done before. lol I still won cause the safe I played anyway but I would like a AZ ruling!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shot my opponents balls in giving up ball in hand to force them to shoot or breakup a ball etc. but last night my opponent failed to run out due to the fact the 8ball was locked on my ball near a corner pocket. On My trip to the table I missed two attempts to break it out and ran 5balls off. My 6th shot I banked my ball to same end to give my self a breakout & a safe ball to get hits on, while leaving my cue ball frozen on end rail 7ft away with his 8 ball behind my other ball. This is when he shot my ball in.....without using the cueball! is this the same ball in hand foul as if you did it with ball? Never seen this done before. lol I still won cause the safe I played anyway but I would like a AZ ruling!

Lol. Unsportsmanlike conduct. Loss of game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Depends on what rules you were playing by, in the APA the ball would be replaced in the same spot then the shot would be taken

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's a loss of game. By his logic, you could just pick up balls you don't like and throw them in a pocket.

I am curious, what would the ruling be, if you managed to somehow keep the cue fully on the the cueball and steered/pushed the cueball towards the object ball.

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what rules you were playing by, in the APA the ball would be replaced in the same spot then the shot would be taken

The tourney uses bca rules, but it's more gentlemen type play. We tell each other about bad hits etc. but occasionally there's always that one guy lol
I got to admit I was dumbfounded, for a sec I thought he was picking his aim line to shoot at it when he fired it right in! But his sense of accomplishment look on his face was worth the $10 I paid to enter lol

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Loss of game.....

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Gentlemenly? After that? I think he was in the wrong room. You should have directed him to the bus stop for being a jackass in someone else's room.
I'm not terribly familiar with BCA, butI believe it's a loss of game, but I'm sure someone that knows better than me will correct me shortly

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
just put it back up and tell him he cant do that. he probably didnt know that it wasnt allowed.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Unsportsmanlike conduct. Loss of game. If your opponent had used the cue ball to shoot your ball in, it would have been a legitimate tactical shot resulting in ball-in-hand penalty! BCAPL, VNEA and ACS rules.

Lyn

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unsportsmanlike conduct. Loss of game. If your opponent had used the cue ball to shoot your ball in, it would have been a legitimate tactical shot resulting in ball-in-hand penalty! BCAPL, VNEA and ACS rules.

Lyn

Legal in apa also. I have done it when the situation warranted it .

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He moved a ball. You have the option to replace it or leave it as is. If the cueball didn't move, amazingly I'd say its still his shot. I would say this is a sportsmanship violation. In a tourney I'd bring this up to the TD.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VNEA had a rule for about two or three years that included 1990. The rule was that if you "shoot directly at an opponents ball and pocket it", it would be a loss of game.

One year, late in the top class of the State Tournament with only four left, Ted was playing Dick. Dick had a ball tied up with one of Ted's and the 8 ball, but also had a break ball in front of the closest pocket.

Ted asked if he could kick at the ball to make it without losing the game.. since he would not be shooting directly at it.

The rules were reviewed, and a coin was tossed for this ruling. I don't remember who won. The delay lasted at least ten minutes.

The rule was probably removed for the following season.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Unsportsmanlike foul, loss of game, turn in your man card for a month.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats unsportsmanlike is when I repeatedly bash my opponent's head against the hard part of the rail until he loses consciousness. I think that's a one point penalty foul.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on where you are playing and under what circumstances. Technically it is probably unsportsmanlike conduct but sometimes it is better to say nothing and keep playing. In that case I'd thin my remaining ball, catch a rail with the cue ball and leave the opponent only a kick shot on the 8.

In some places if you start hollering unsportsmanlike conduct you might lose all your action.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I would say un-sportsman like conduct, and award you ball in hand. I wouldn't consider it any different than him shooting the ball in with the cue ball. I he protested it further, I'd award you the game, if it continued I'd award you the match and ban him.

Black Cat :cool:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... This is when he shot my ball in.....without using the cueball! is this the same ball in hand foul as if you did it with ball? ...
It is a fundamental rule of the game that the only way you are allowed to change the position of the balls on the table is by the cue stick hitting the cue ball with a forward stroke. If you change the position of the balls in any other way, you are no longer playing the game.