Ronnie O'Sullivan 147

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Here is the controversial 146.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBDuWvcy7U
Check out the final blue if you don't watch the whole thing.

There was a lot of talk about this break. The way I see it is that he gave the audience something to remember and talk about for the rest of their lives -- not merely yet another 147.

I liked Ronnies exit interview after the 146, I'm paraphrasing of course but I think he said something to the likes of "people are complaining but a 146 is a really good break and I don't see many people coming out and doing it themselves if they think its such a bad thing" I like how he sees it. Come and get me if you don't like it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think snooker is the best of all pocket billiards games by a fairly wide margin, and it is also my opinion that snooker us far and away the best version for television.

I had a 100 break one time and I think is the most exciting game I have ever played. Exponentially more exciting than running a rack in 9 ball or running a 100 in straight. Plus to do it required skills analogous to straight pool, 9 ball and one pocket, along with elements unique to snooker.

I love watching it online, and it boggles my min how good they are as I think I have a little perspective. It us draw dropping.

I think snooker and Chinese 8 ball could become huge in the US if there was an organized tour and TV broadcast schedule.

Sadly, with my present game, bar box 8 ball is more my speed not sure I could do a 20 break on a snooker table today. But I love watching it.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if he uses a conical tapered shaft when playing pool? I was just curious.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
of course there's a bonus for 147, they are worth way more than just the pride of doing it in tournament play. The bonus prize has gone lower these years, with more common bonuses being 20-10k but the large tournaments still have the whopping 100k bonus. I believe in 2015 Ronnie was on his way to another 147 but when he heard it was 10k he deliberately shot a pink instead of a black to make a statement that the bonus needs to be higher.

Not all tournaments have a specific 147 prize. I have also seen a match where he is on the hill and asked the ref mid-run about the bonus. Eventually was told no 147 bonus, just the tournament high-run prize. He carries on and shoots reds/blacks/colours all the way to perfect position on the last black (last ball on the table) and then walks over to his opponent to shake hands (leaving the run at 140 instead of 147). The ref says something to Ronnie after he shakes hands and only then does Ronnie oblige the audience by potting the last black. Pure Ronnie, what a great character :thumbup:

Another Ronnie story, about his left hand play. Many years ago a Canadian player complained to the tournament director that Ronnie was disrespecting him by playing left handed. Ronnies reaction was to later enter the qualifying school as a left handed player (I think he was ranked #1 when he went back to school). He qualified as a pro handily :)grin-square:). No more talk of disrespect !

Dave

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Its unreal to watch him rush around the table, and still play pin point position!..If he had been raised on pool, instead of snooker, we'd all be saying "Earl who, Efren who"?..The man is unbelievable, who could have possibly beat him?..13-147's..all against top level competition! ..How many balls do you think he'd miss on an 8' table, with 5" pockets?..He would probably have doubled Mosconi's high run, in half the time! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS..Its fun to watch the referees try to keep up with him! :bow-down:

PPS..I wonder how many centuries he blew off, going for 147's?..He would probably be well ahead of Ding there too!..Those 147's pay some monster $$$ in most of those tournaments!

There is a young fella named Judd Trump who also plays top notch snooker at a blinding pace. Judd also shoots what we would consider 9-ball shape shots (they refer to them as exhibition shots) in his run-outs more often than most (3, 4, 5 rail shape shots, but they travel 20-30-40 feet :eek:). And his long potting is phenomenal (all should try to pot a snooker ball the length of the table ... WAAAAAAY harder than it looks :angry:).

Anyone who likes to watch Ronnie should do themselves a favour and watch Judd too .... IMO.

Dave

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I liked Ronnies exit interview after the 146, I'm paraphrasing of course but I think he said something to the likes of "people are complaining but a 146 is a really good break and I don't see many people coming out and doing it themselves if they think its such a bad thing" I like how he sees it. Come and get me if you don't like it.

I think a 146 is much more rare than a 147.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a pool player, but I love to watch snooker, and Ronnie is my favorite cueist of all time. I have both of his books and have read one of them so far.

One thing about Snooker. No one talks about how the starting break shot determines the winner or racking techniques.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a young fella named Judd Trump who also plays top notch snooker at a blinding pace. Judd also shoots what we would consider 9-ball shape shots (they refer to them as exhibition shots) in his run-outs more often than most (3, 4, 5 rail shape shots, but they travel 20-30-40 feet :eek:). And his long potting is phenomenal (all should try to pot a snooker ball the length of the table ... WAAAAAAY harder than it looks :angry:).

Anyone who likes to watch Ronnie should do themselves a favour and watch Judd too .... IMO.

Dave

Judd is definately a hell of a player, but he lacks the charisma, color, and wild wackiness of Ronnie!..Not to mention the crowd pleasing unpredictability! :eek:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty good article from the new yorker called the unhappy king of snooker or similar:

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/30/follow-the-white-ball

Interestingly, he says a couple of times in the article that he hates the game of snooker, and told his son that he would never support him if he ever wanted to play....doesn't sound appreciative of the game that has allowed him to put food on the table...

It's no secret he has issues which I suspect would evaporate if he would get off the "medication", both prescription and self medicated.

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's no secret he has issues which I suspect would evaporate if he would get off the "medication", both prescription and self medicated.

I think he's on the record as saying he's off the party drugs! Can't say the same about Jimmy White and Ronnie Wood when they get together. The white lines are bigger than the cue ball. But Jimmy is on a health kick now and he's also being a good boy.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Only the greatest cue sport ever invented and about 40 years of youtube matches :grin:

Honestly, I am going with 3-cushion as the best cue sport ever. It is absolute simplicity to understand and yet unbelievably difficult to excel at. There is no cue sport that makes every single shot so exciting. It is unfortunate that the game is effectively completely underground and unknown because when it comes to marketable cue sports for spectators it is pretty much perfection.

The only reason I can see it is not tremendously popular is that for the general public it is pretty much impossible. That and the game demands higher standards of equipment maintenance than any cue sport that has pockets.

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I am going with 3-cushion as the best cue sport ever. It is absolute simplicity to understand and yet unbelievably difficult to excel at. There is no cue sport that makes every single shot so exciting. It is unfortunate that the game is effectively completely underground and unknown because when it comes to marketable cue sports for spectators it is pretty much perfection.

The only reason I can see it is not tremendously popular is that for the general public it is pretty much impossible. That and the game demands higher standards of equipment maintenance than any cue sport that has pockets.

I know it is big in places like South Korea and also Europe so it could just be a cultural thing. Europeans particularly have much more refined tastes than say British, Australians or Americans overall IMHO. The taste for more refined things is unfortunately few and far between. I remember leaving an immaculate pool room in Prague where you could smoke cigars and drink brandy in 17th century surroundings with no noise to walking into a pool hall in the UK with 25 TV's with broken stools and beer stains on the cloths and walking straight out :) Unfortunately most people like what most people like.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course there's a bonus for 147, they are worth way more than just the pride of doing it in tournament play. The bonus prize has gone lower these years, with more common bonuses being 20-10k but the large tournaments still have the whopping 100k bonus. I believe in 2015 Ronnie was on his way to another 147 but when he heard it was 10k he deliberately shot a pink instead of a black to make a statement that the bonus needs to be higher.

Not these days...147's are now so (relatively) common the prize structure has changed.

There are no massive bonuses like the old days (I think at the peak it was GBP 147k + 20k for the high break at the World Championships), now it tends to be 5k per tournament which accumulates (until someone hits a 147 then it resets).

A lot of the players moan, but as you say the pot rarely gets above 10k-20k which shows how frequently top level players get them these days.

Now maybe the new prize should be for the mystical 155 break ;-)

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it is big in places like South Korea and also Europe so it could just be a cultural thing. Europeans particularly have much more refined tastes than say British, Australians or Americans overall IMHO. The taste for more refined things is unfortunately few and far between. I remember leaving an immaculate pool room in Prague where you could smoke cigars and drink brandy in 17th century surroundings with no noise to walking into a pool hall in the UK with 25 TV's with broken stools and beer stains on the cloths and walking straight out :) Unfortunately most people like what most people like.

There's probably a lot of truth in that, although I can appreciate that it is a fascinating and highly skillful game, its just not fluid enough to make it easy viewing for the neutral.