Fixing old GC rail counters

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm making some score counter boxes for a friend who owns a pool room. He gave me two dozen old model Gold Crown 1 (?) rail counters to use in the boxes. The rail counters were salvaged from his tables when he had the rails replaced (J. Chambers rails - super nice). His new rails don't have counters and with a lot of straight pool players he needs score counters.

Besides being filthy every one of the old counters had broken wheel springs that made them almost useless with the number wheels loose and all spinning together. Well, found that little strips of laminate replacing the flat metal springs does the job quite well. The laminate strips seem pretty solid, have just the right tension, very cheap and easy to make.

Google found me original replacement metal springs for $11, but needing 48 of them that wasn't going to happen (assuming they even have 48 of them). Also tried little automotive feeler gauges and some of those around 0.010" worked pretty good and fit right in once cut short (in case you're more comfortable with spring metal than laminate).

Attachments

• GC Rail Counter.JPG
    GC Rail Counter.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 389

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I used the spring metal off of automotive hose clamps. They come in MANY variations of WIDTH & thickness, with diff. thread patterns ( I ran auto/truck repair shops 17 yrs.) the good ones are made with spring steel.

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OUTSTANDING! Thank you!

Yes good stuff, I have a similar counter in need of repair on my, you ready for this Canadian Billiard Anniversary :). I refinished my table a few years back and just left the counters in a state of needing repair.

Cheers,

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there @slach , can you comment on the finish on those counters, is it polished aluminum or chrome plated?

TomL.

We have a GC table at the Moose Lodge that has counters that do not move easily if at all. How are they removed? Do they just pry out? Thanks in advance!
Tom L.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
We have a GC table at the Moose Lodge that has counters that do not move easily if at all. How are they removed? Do they just pry out? Thanks in advance!
Tom L.
No, you remove them from the bottom of the rail. It needs to be unbolted from the table and flipped over.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there @slach , can you comment on the finish on those counters, is it polished aluminum or chrome plated?
Tom L.
Nothing on a Gold Crown I or II was chrome plated except for the ball tray bezel on the I (the II had a bronze plated bezel). The counters were clear anodized aluminum.

TomL.

No, you remove them from the bottom of the rail. It needs to be unbolted from the table and flipped over.
I am tempted to put a little lubricant on the counters from the top side then, will that be OK to do?
Thanks, Tom L.

Hard Knock Cues

The tynes off of a metal leaf rake are spring steel.
I made some from an old band saw blade. Took a chunk of aluminum and drilled a 3/8" hole, then cut the block in half through the hole, used a 1/4" rod on one side and band saw blade across the other side, placed in vise and squeeze to mold the blade, drill screw hole accordingly, cut to length With tin snips. Worked like a charm.