No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch some pro snooker. Pay attention to how often you see a snooker player spin the cue ball around.

I can save you some time and tell you this:

It would be easier to find a unicorn than to find a snooker player that spins the cue ball as much as the average pool player.

The two mixes like oil and water.

There is a reason pocket billiard tables are made different form snooker tables, just like there is a reason snooker balls are tiny compared to pool balls.

Jeff

I love watching pro snooker, hence my user name. You are correct snooker players use less english, but watch this video and tell me that only stun, screw and follow are being used.

https://youtu.be/Rk89lm62ogA

It's possible to move the ball all over the table if you leave yourself correct angles, the less english one has to use, equals less chance of an error in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/QVZcJOmdU_g

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever dude. Still, 112 votes is nothing. You believe what you want but this poll proves nothing other than to make you feel good about all the stuff you just said. The sample is way to small to mean anything. AZ has over 60,000 members. I'll go easy on ya, get 1/3 to vote. 20,000 would probably be a big enough poll to say "most" people. 112?? Not hardly. Why is this important to you? So you can tell people your theory on pocket size is valid? Apparently 80% of the grand sum of 112 people agree(including me,btw). It still proves nothing based on the turnout.

I've been on AZ for a little while now. I dont think I have ever seen a poll that had even 5000 responses. 20000?.... Please. You would have to show me that one. If you can prove me wrong, please do so. I can take being wrong. I'm experienced at it

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
A very simple poll, even with a bit of leading....
has become more of an argument.

I swear, I'm starting to think that the old ladies
down the street from me argue less than we do.
Thats saying a lot..lol...those old ladies are at it 24/7.

Jeff

I agree with you that I did lead with my opinion on
the topic. Should have been a bit more neutral. Next
time I do any type of poll, I will keep this in mind.

As for the arguing: agree. I started this poll because
I wanted confirmation of what I think is true: Most
PLAYERS want to play on Pro Cut pockets.
I am bowing out of the thread, there is nothing
more for me here. Well, unless I want to argue some more.
I stated my opinions clearly, cussed no one or
threatened anyone. Thanks to all who positively
contributed to the thread.

Trent from Toledo

P.s. I did do one thing wrong, Ole Troll Boxcar got
mad because I posted his first name and what city/ state
he is from. Mike emailed me after he deleted it and asked me
not to do that. AHAHAHAHAHAHA. My screen name tells you
who I am and pretty much points to where I am from, not hiding
behind a screen name. If any of you are ever coming through
Toledo, Ohio, I would love to play pool and hang out.
Toledo has a lot to offer for being a small city!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on AZ for a little while now. I dont think I have ever seen a poll that had even 5000 responses. 20000?.... Please. You would have to show me that one. If you can prove me wrong, please do so. I can take being wrong. I'm experienced at it
I'm well aware that would never happen. I said that to try to make the point that this poll is a joke. First the wording which was skewed in the OP's favor then the vote count. As stated before I agree with T's stance on pocket size but the poll in NO way accounts for "most" people. A larger sample MAY have had the same outcome but you can't just assume that based on what 120 people think. I'm goin crappie fishin. Later gators.......................................

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why all defensive now?? I agree with you on pocket size and better players. What i don't agree with is your poll. Its sadly flawed just based on the numbers alone. For you, or anyone else, to say that a poll with 113 votes represents "most" people is ludicrous. Also, they way you worded it skews it your direction as well. I'm glad that the outcome makes you feel good about your stance.

Another thing that is tragically flawed about this "poll" is the anonymity of the population of the sample group. The "poll" asks for the opinions of better players. Of the 80+ respondents, no mechanism is provided to prove any degree of authenticity. In fact, a large portion of the respondents may well be wannabees who would like other people to think they are "players," but are actually lonely league players who aren't really "players" at all. One of the respondents who voted in support of the flawed premise has admitted on this forum that his not a good player. If one respondent lies, the "poll" becomes totally useless.

I think "polls" like this one are usually presented by people who are lonely and desperate for attention. The "Me" generation doesn't seem to have a solid grasp on the fundamentals of scientific polling. They are, however, very good at childlike, sandbox arguing.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching pro snooker, hence my user name. You are correct snooker players use less english, but watch this video and tell me that only stun, screw and follow are being used.

https://youtu.be/Rk89lm62ogA

It's possible to move the ball all over the table if you leave yourself correct angles, the less english one has to use, equals less chance of an error in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/QVZcJOmdU_g

I understand they use extreme spin "occasionally"....but, in general they avoid it like the plague.

Lol...
I didn't even realize your ID.

You should understand that snooker pocket size/shape is not comparable to pool pocket size/shape....more than anyone else on the site.

I'm seriously confused as to how that you would even consider comparing the two in any way.

Jeff

I just now watched the vids. I'm well aware of Lee. He us known to use WWWAAAYYY more spin than most pro snooker players...by far.

On the other hand, the average pool player does that same stuff on a daily basis.

Again, it's not a good comparison.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I'm goin crappie fishin. Later gators......................................." - Garczar

If you get lucky and hook any loozahs, cut 'em up. They make good chum.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

I understand.

We're good, for sure....100%.

As for using someone's name...well, I guess it depends on the person. Some people may be in the witness protection program....or....they could just be someone that likes to talk but not have to worry about backing it up:angry:

Me?.....I couldn't care less if someone posted my:

:thumbup:
Full name
What meds i take
Health issues
Street address
City and state

or

Weight
Height
Favorite color
Favorite food
Favorite games

Yep, I'm a person that just don't give a ratz-a55 about anything but:

Lunch time
Times for snacks
Dinner time

I doubt anyone would want my information. Hell, I'm so broke, I can't give my identity away, much less worry about someone stealing it.

Oh, BTW, I'm not in the witness protection program anymore since I didn't testify against the pool detective.:eek:uttahere:

Jeff

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of this talk about tight pockets, now combined with the difficulty of snooker, makes me wanna play snooker just for the challenge of it! :D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of this talk about tight pockets, now combined with the difficulty of snooker, makes me wanna play snooker just for the challenge of it! :D
I like playing with less reds, either six or nine reds. Makes the games quicker. I'm no playa' but its fun as hell. Tough.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

You also limited the offering of the size of pocket choice, which favored the ProCut 4 1/2" pockets. If you'd have offered multiple choice of 5", 4 1/2", 4 1/4" and 4"....pro cut would not have lead the poll. Seems everyone for the most part in California seem to favor 4" corner pockets.

Now the big question for you, had you made it multiple choice would you still be willing to BET 4 1/2" procut pockets would still be the dominant choice????

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If you start with the basic fact that the results of this poll do not mean anything of any great consequence (and I suspect Mr Trent would agree at least in principle that it doesn't) then all the objections, not picking and other nonsense are completely unnecessary.

It was just a poll used to put an exclamation point on his opinion. Of course its flawed...and biased...and unscientific. It wasn't intended to be the basis for his Masters thesis.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing that is tragically flawed about this "poll" is the anonymity of the population of the sample group. The "poll" asks for the opinions of better players. Of the 80+ respondents, no mechanism is provided to prove any degree of authenticity. In fact, a large portion of the respondents may well be wannabees who would like other people to think they are "players," but are actually lonely league players who aren't really "players" at all. One of the respondents who voted in support of the flawed premise has admitted on this forum that his not a good player. If one respondent lies, the "poll" becomes totally useless.

I think "polls" like this one are usually presented by people who are lonely and desperate for attention. The "Me" generation doesn't seem to have a solid grasp on the fundamentals of scientific polling. They are, however, very good at childlike, sandbox arguing.

Give us a number. What fargorate number.... in your opinion...constitutes a "good player"? 500? 700? You have to gamble to be a "player"? Any number you put up would be opinion and arguable and debatable.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'If one respondent lies, the "poll" becomes totally useless.'

How many lied? We all know one did.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand they use extreme spin "occasionally"....but, in general they avoid it like the plague.

Lol...
I didn't even realize your ID.

You should understand that snooker pocket size/shape is not comparable to pool pocket size/shape....more than anyone else on the site.

I'm seriously confused as to how that you would even consider comparing the two in any way.

Jeff

I just now watched the vids. I'm well aware of Lee. He us known to use WWWAAAYYY more spin than most pro snooker players...by far.

On the other hand, the average pool player does that same stuff on a daily basis.

Again, it's not a good comparison.

I'll have to agree to disagree, at the end of the day both sports have a cueball, object balls, and pockets, I think there are a lot of similarities between snooker and pool, if you look at straight pool in terms of breaking up the pack, cue ball positioning, etc, much of the game is played on half the table the way snooker is predominately . I don't think the two sports so vastly different, and I believe that is why Allison Fisher & Karen Corr did so well in their transitions over.

I also don't think the "average" pool player is doing anything remotely like Stephen or Judd in terms of moving the ball around the table. Maybe I am just much further below average than I thought.

Just my .-02 cents

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What so only "good" players' opinions count?

I'm not a good player, but I prefer to practice on a tight table (a tight table that's been set up properly).

I'm going to have my home table set up with 4 1/8" pockets. So sue me...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'If one respondent lies, the "poll" becomes totally useless.'

How many lied? We all know one did.

I'm to lazy to read every post. Who lied?

Was it me? I've always made it clear, just ask anyone, they will tell you that I couldn't play dead in a John Wayne movie with multiple takes.

Jeff<<<<:bow-down:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll have to agree to disagree, at the end of the day both sports have a cueball, object balls, and pockets, I think there are a lot of similarities between snooker and pool, if you look at straight pool in terms of breaking up the pack, cue ball positioning, etc, much of the game is played on half the table the way snooker is predominately . I don't think the two sports so vastly different, and I believe that is why Allison Fisher & Karen Corr did so well in their transitions over.

I also don't think the "average" pool player is doing anything remotely like Stephen or Judd in terms of moving the ball around the table. Maybe I am just much further below average than I thought.

Just my .-02 cents

Come on now....don't be a quitter. We're suppose to argue, then call each other names, then threaten to hold our neighbors chickens ransom until the other one gives in and admits he is wrong.

Where's your heart?

Lol....

Obviously I'm just kidding, I would never harm a fellow feathered friend.

We're good snook

Jeff

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Real King Cobra
@Trent from Toledo
@Anyone else

What size pockets on a 7' foot table(let's say a Diamond) would you say would make the game somewhat comparable in difficulty to a 6'x12' snooker table?

Maybe you guys could put in lamens terms because I know there are many other factors at play, most of which I am probably too stupid to understand.

Something like 2 3/4" corners and 3 1/4" sides, 3" corners 3 1/2" sides?

Curious what is the smallest size pockets(on a pool table) you two have seen in your years of doing this?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Real King Cobra
@Trent from Toledo
@Anyone else

What size pockets on a 7' foot table(let's say a Diamond) would you say would make the game somewhat comparable in difficulty to a 6'x12' snooker table?

Maybe you guys could put in lamens terms because I know there are many other factors at play, most of which I am probably too stupid to understand.

Something like 2 3/4" corners and 3 1/4" sides, 3" corners 3 1/2" sides?

Curious what is the smallest size pockets(on a pool table) you two have seen in your years of doing this?
At 3.50" a pool ball would take-up same space as a 2&1/16 snooker ball in a 3.25" pocket. Figure in table size and your numbers probably be pretty close.

Last edited: