Need help with pocket replacement

wallofmeat

Registered
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can figure this out. I inherited an old 8' table from a friend's family, and the only information they had on it was that it originally came from a bar. There are no identifying marks on it. After removing the slates, there was just a handwritten "Table X" and a date of 3/2/77, which may mean nothing.

The main reason I'm asking about the table is so I can figure out the pocket replacement. I've included photos of the old pockets. The irons seem larger than the generic pockets I've seen online. I'd rather do it right than just order misfit replacements. I understand I could get the irons recovered, but that seems like a pricey option.

Anyone have an idea where to find the right pockets? Thanks in advance!

pt1.jpg

pt2.jpg

pt3.jpg

pt4.jpg

pt5.jpg

Last edited:

wallofmeat

Registered
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I found those guys already, just hoping there was an off-the-shelf replacement instead.

wallofmeat

Registered
Ozone Billiards sells them. Some on Amazon too

Can you post a link to either of these? The stuff I've seen on Amazon and from Ozone seem to be smaller. The majority of replacements seem to have inserts that are only 1/2" round and 1" deep whereas mine are 5/8" round and 1 1/2" deep. Thanks!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

You’ll want to measure these areas of your irons.
Pictured below is a antique #6 iron. There are a few other possibility irons you have but measure your irons and let me know what you have. Measure the arch and that will help much. If it’s 7/8’s is a antique iron if it’s 1-3/8 it’s a modern style iron. Schmidt special pocket irons are out there too.

Rob.M

Last edited:

wallofmeat

Registered
You’ll want to measure these areas of your irons.
Pictured below is a antique #6 iron. There are a few other possibility irons you have but measure your irons and let me know what you have. Measure the arch and that will help much. If it’s 7/8’s is a antique iron if it’s 1-3/8 it’s a modern style iron. Schmidt special pocket irons are out there too.

Rob.M

I took the leather off of one of them, and the measurements are exactly as the ones in the picture you have, so it looks like it is an antique iron. The posts are 1 1/2" long with the screw holes centered at 1". Hope this helps!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, Ken at Classic Billiards would be the expert. Hood leather goods was the last remaining US based leather pocket manufacturer and for pocket repairs, and Ken bought out their entire remaining inventory of pockets when they closed a couple years ago. As he is virtually the only one that has them available, they are a bit pricey, but your only other option is the cheaper / inferior Asian imports.

wallofmeat

Registered
I agree, Ken at Classic Billiards would be the expert. Hood leather goods was the last remaining US based leather pocket manufacturer and for pocket repairs, and Ken bought out their entire remaining inventory of pockets when they closed a couple years ago. As he is virtually the only one that has them available, they are a bit pricey, but your only other option is the cheaper / inferior Asian imports.

OK, thanks so much for the information!

Alejandro

Registered
I need help

Hello friends, I also need help I live in Cuba and from here I can not make any purchase in another country.

here I want to start making a pool table but I don't have the pockets, I need the exact measurements of the pocket # 6 that is seen in the photo that the user wallofmeat published, so with these make a mold and melt it in aluminum and then cover it with vinyl and thus make the pocket.

Over here I have seen several made of aluminum and lined in leather but I don't know where they got the measurements, they don't seem like the original ones.

in advance thank you very much, I will be very grateful to you, the ideal would be to get a original metal piece from the side pocket and another from the corner pocket to guide me to make the mold, that way it would be all original

thank you very much again and excuse the google translation

hola amigos yo tambien necesito ayuda vivo en cuba y desde aca no puedo realizar ninguna compra en otro pais.

yo por aca quiero empezar a hacer una mesa de pool pero no tengo los bolsillos, necesito las medidas exactas de el bolsillo #6 que se ve en la foto que publico el usuario wallofmeat, para con estas hacer un molde y fundirlo en aluminio para luego forrarlo con vinil y asi hacer el bolsillo.

por aca he visto varios hechos de aluminio y forrados en cuero pero no se de donde sacaron las medidas, no me parecen las originales.

de antemano muchas gracias, les estare muy agradecidos, lo ideal seria conseguir una pieza metalica del bolsillo lateral y otra del bolsillo de la esquina para que me sirvieran de guia para hacel el molde, de esa forma quedaria todo original

muchas gracias nuevamente y disculpen la traduccion de google