Is Johan Ruysink out as USA Mosconi Cup Coach after only one year?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be more productive to start a thread that celebrates/remind people of Mark's efforts before Johan, and since you guys are privy to all the things he has done, detail them so the wider world know he did to help lay the foundation for what the team is like today – that his efforts should not go unnoticed; otherwise it just looks like ppl tryin to pour cold water on JR, and at the same time people dont know about the good stuff that MW did.

At the time, what MW did during his tenure as MC coach was discussed here -- bringing some of that up now isn't about raining on JR parade, it's about keeping things in perspective.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus Christ.

Mark Wilson is a top notch instructor but Johan gives him the 7 in coaching.

It is hard for me to understand the basis for this conclusion, unless you have received or observed Mark and Johan coach.

I am not saying Mark is better than Johan or vice versa. However, lfigueroa made a good point about Matchroom backing for Johan.

kollegedave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always been results oriented. Mark is a good friend of mine and unfortunately his teams did not win. I don't know Johann well at all and his teams did win. IMO he was doing something right so more power to him.

I think even Mark would give credit to Johann for a job well done.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've always been results oriented. Mark is a good friend of mine and unfortunately his teams did not win. I don't know Johann well at all and his teams did win. IMO he was doing something right so more power to him.

Ditto. Mark Wilson is a fantastic instructor, the author of a fine book on pool, and an enduring credit to our sport. His Mosconi teams always exhibited professionalism. All hail Johan but Mark was, is, and will always be one of the gems of American pool and is to be admired for his many contributions to pool and its growth.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ditto. Mark Wilson is a fantastic instructor, the author of a fine book on pool, and an enduring credit to our sport. His Mosconi teams always exhibited professionalism. All hail Johan but Mark was, is, and will always be one of the gems of American pool and is to be admired for his many contributions to pool and its growth.

I agree with all of that. Unfortunately his coaching of the Mosconi Cup teams will not be one of the highlights of his pool career.

Johann on the other other hand has proven himself to be a superior coach and that is what we're talking about here I believe.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark is a top-shelf coach, as well! For what he had to work with $$$-wise, he did a great job with his MC teams, bringing together a small bunch of young gunslingers, who on any other day would be trying to match up with each other, and turning them into teammates who learned respect, teamwork, and honor on a world stage. Add to that, he has a decades long history of coaching younger players (Justin Bergman among them). I was privileged to teach with Mark and Jerry Briesath, for three years in the early '90s, helping lay the groundwork for future jr champions to learn from, and countless amateur players that Mark has taught and coached. I am honored to call him a mentor, a role model, but most important...my friend...just like you Stu! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earlier this year, Gail and I traveled through Columbia and Peru.

During our trip through Columbia we had the opportunity to visit a working coffee farm. There, over half a day, they taught us about the whole process of making coffee from seedling to the best cup of coffee and coffee liquor we've ever had in our lives. We've done similar things like that, visiting wineries in Napa, Tuscany, Germany, Greece, and Spain.

And what I think we've both learned is that while it's great to be results orientated, learning about and being to appreciate the process is even more important, because it allows you to knowledgeably judge the final results.

I don't know what the exact process was that JR and MW used. What I can understand is that one of them apparently got substantially more support than the other and that, if you are a true fan, is an incredibly important factor to consider before you go off and proclaim one guy the superior coach to the other.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why people feel like they have to defend MW.

Saying that JR is a better coach isn't a slight against MW.

There is a difference between being a great coach and a great instructor.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why people feel like they have to defend MW.

Saying that JR is a better coach isn't a slight against MW.

There is a difference between being a great coach and a great instructor.

Saying JR is a better coach than MW is slighting MW.

Additionally, saying this without evidence to support it, is even worse.

There maybe a difference between a great coach and a great instructor.

Count me as one that is skeptical a coach matters that much in the MC.

It might be that JR is better at everything in life when compared to all of us pathetic underlings. However, before I would be willing to accept this notion, I would require some evidence. Additionally, before I made that assertion online to countless other people, I would intend to produce evidence.

Personally, I don't know who is better. It does seem like JR got support that MW did not get, and once JR out ran the nuts (winning twice), he hit the road.

kollegedave

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying JR is a better coach than MW is slighting MW.

Additionally, saying this without evidence to support it, is even worse.

There maybe a difference between a great coach and a great instructor.

Count me as one that is skeptical a coach matters that much in the MC.

It might be that JR is better at everything in life when compared to all of us pathetic underlings. However, before I would be willing to accept this notion, I would require some evidence. Additionally, before I made that assertion online to countless other people, I would intend to produce evidence.

Personally, I don't know who is better. It does seem like JR got support that MW did not get, and once JR out ran the nuts (winning twice), he hit the road.

kollegedave

I guess his overall record (not just as coach of the USA team) would be enough evidence.

Facts are facts.

To some.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earlier this year, Gail and I traveled through Columbia and Peru.

During our trip through Columbia we had the opportunity to visit a working coffee farm. There, over half a day, they taught us about the whole process of making coffee from seedling to the best cup of coffee and coffee liquor we've ever had in our lives. We've done similar things like that, visiting wineries in Napa, Tuscany, Germany, Greece, and Spain.

And what I think we've both learned is that while it's great to be results orientated, learning about and being to appreciate the process is even more important, because it allows you to knowledgeably judge the final results.

I don't know what the exact process was the JR and MW used. What I can understand is that one of them apparently got substantially more support than the other and that, if you are a true fan, is an incredibly important factor to consider before you go off and proclaim one guy the superior coach to the other.

Lou Figueroa

I'm jealous! :D