Pool School

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok well recently I have been working with the dvd set I have for Zero x and pattern Play as well as working with my Bullseye Billiards game a bit. I have noticed a relatively steady improvement. I also know my main issues at this point are likely in my fundamentals. It is not that I don't have enough tools to improve my game now. It is more the fact that I want to correct all the issues in my forum and fundamentals to practice better. I have been thinking of actually taking some lessons for some time now. I have even brought up the topic here in the past and gotten some great advice on it.
I have noticed that many of you have signatures indicating you have been students of Scott on here. I know there is a major difference between learning from a pro and learning from an instructor. I found a site for Tom Simpson's Pool School and there three day intensive weekends. I do not know if he is a member here or not but it seems likely. I would like to know if anyone on here has had any experience with his 3 day intensive training and what they honestly thought of it. When I look on his website there is nothing even slightly negative posted which is typical of a business. I am just a very cynical person in general. I want to know what ever training I go with will be worth it in the long run. I do not believe anyone can please everyone all the time.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know Scott. Can vouch for him. You will not be making a mistake dealing with him.

Last edited:

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I attended Tom Simpson's billiards academy. It was excellent and well worth the money. Since then, I correspond with the instructors from time to time via email and they are always very gracious in continuing to provide me advice via email. I have also continued to see one of them for on-going instruction from time to time as he is somewhat local to my area. While I don't know Scott personally, he and I have had a variety of correspondences and I do know people that know him personally and what he brings to the table. Based on what I know of Scott, I would have no problem recommending him. I consider him to be a reputable, knowledgeable instructor - I just don't have the personal experience of being instructed by him.

There is no magic bullet, however, I am a firm believer in personal instruction. I also own the DVDs and other instructional material you describe. They are also excellent and informative. But trust me, nothing is like getting one on one time with a reputable instructor. It will change your life - at least your pool life.

If you would like more specifics about my experience, PM me. Also would be happy to chat about it via phone call if you like. I know it is a big investment, but one of the best I have made.

- Steve

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, we have a few good Pool School Instructors on AZB, we are lucky for that. I think it would be good of them to post some of their top player achievements, as I know there must be some winners they have championed.

I am firm believer in learning to play Pool, the right way, through the aid of an instructor or coach.

You might say that it is expensive. Sitting in your chair while the time clock is going, is expensive too. I can't tell you how many dollars, wannabe Players have lost, when a few pointers from a coach might have lessened the loss considerably.

Just about every game has coaches & instructors, there is a reason for that.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not attended this school but did a 2 day with Jerry Briesath about 15 years ago. I would highly recommend taking some kind of professional instruction with a known reputable instructor. For me a single day of intense instruction would be great to start and have some repeat visits. Such as quarterly for a year or even more frequently. I have had about a 10 year lay off and you can bet that I've already spoken with an instructor about a game plan. Looks like my guy's about 5 hours away. I was once within striking distance of being an A player and my goal is to become one.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok well recently I have been working with the dvd set I have for Zero x and pattern Play as well as working with my Bullseye Billiards game a bit. I have noticed a relatively steady improvement. I also know my main issues at this point are likely in my fundamentals. It is not that I don't have enough tools to improve my game now. It is more the fact that I want to correct all the issues in my forum and fundamentals to practice better. I have been thinking of actually taking some lessons for some time now. I have even brought up the topic here in the past and gotten some great advice on it.
I have noticed that many of you have signatures indicating you have been students of Scott on here. I know there is a major difference between learning from a pro and learning from an instructor. I found a site for Tom Simpson's Pool School and there three day intensive weekends. I do not know if he is a member here or not but it seems likely. I would like to know if anyone on here has had any experience with his 3 day intensive training and what they honestly thought of it. When I look on his website there is nothing even slightly negative posted which is typical of a business. I am just a very cynical person in general. I want to know what ever training I go with will be worth it in the long run. I do not believe anyone can please everyone all the time.

Can I suggest taking a private instead of a group.

Outlander

Registered
Kevin3824;5573970 ... I have noticed that many of you have signatures indicating you have been students of Scott on here. ....[/QUOTE said:
During my life I have been a national level certified instructor for skydiving, SCUBA diving, computer networking software and various Red Cross ratings. I trained and certified instructors in all these activities. I was also officially trained (ASI awarded) as a military instructor.

I have been exposed to teaching.

I took a private lesson from Scott in Florida.

How did it go? I considered it money so well spent that I am signed up for his 3 day school in August in Minnesota. I am looking forward to it quite a bit.

Opinions are fine, but I've always found that following the money tells the real tale.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a couple good instructors and I personally would recommend one day or even a half day with one. Then go work on what they have taught you and when you get it down pretty good schedule another day or half day to get more help and so on.....

I think going multiple days and being shown or taught many different things so quickly deminishes the content absorbed and learned overall. I know after my sessions I feel like I have taken one step back until I begin improving on what they taught me so I can take 2 or 3 steps forward.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Smoothstroke is an AZB member and an excellent instructor. He's about 2hrs away from the OP in Edison, NJ.

Last edited:

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rangyg in Texas. He and Scott run 3 day pool schools at various locations around the country.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skippy27...Both ways work significantly well. The 3-day intensive schools are terrific, because each day builds on the skills learned the day before, and you actually see your improvement from day to day. That said, with either pool school or private lessons, the real work begins when the student returns home.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I've seen a couple good instructors and I personally would recommend one day or even a half day with one. Then go work on what they have taught you and when you get it down pretty good schedule another day or half day to get more help and so on.....

I think going multiple days and being shown or taught many different things so quickly deminishes the content absorbed and learned overall. I know after my sessions I feel like I have taken one step back until I begin improving on what they taught me so I can take 2 or 3 steps forward.

PoolNoob84

Pool School in Ontario Canada?

I have read through all of your reviews, checked out the websites of many pool schools, but unfortunately all of them are for the USA. I realise that this site mainly caters to the US player, but would anyone happen to know of a pool school or good pool instructor in Canada? Preferably in Ontario?

I noticed that Erik Hjorleifson does it, but can anyone vouch for his training?