My Recent 3-Day Boot Camp Experience with TinMan Demetrius Jelatis

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week, I spent three days with Demetrius for a one-on-one boot camp experience and I need to share it with the AZ community. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

For those of you who don’t know Demetrius, as I type this, he is currently a 739 FargoRate and ranked as the 44th top Fargo player in the US. I rank his instructor abilities and communication skills (both verbal and written) in a similar category.

I really can’t express how impressed I was with his overall structured organization, ability to diagnose my individual focus areas for improvement and then implementing a plan of attack to address each finding with drills and thoughtful discussions. In my three days there, we logged 37.25 hours of actual pool table time. It was challenging. It was informative, eye-opening, FUN and rewarding in so many ways. If you are looking for more pool knowledge and ways to identify opportunities for improvement, look no further than Demetrius. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. I’m heading to Dr. Dave’s Billiard University 3-day boot camp in July and I’m interested to see how the two experiences will compare to one another.

Background on me and my playing ability. I’m a B+ to A- level player. Not great, but not bad either. My high run in a line drill is 48 consecutive balls. My high run in 9-ball was a break and run of 5 racks. Both on a 9 foot Gold Crown with 4.25” tight pockets. I’ve won numerous B level tournaments over the years with fields of 16-48 players.

If you haven’t already read this review from another AZ Billiards member, it’s WELL WORTH the read here: https://poolgrimage.blogspot.com/2019/09/three-day-intensive-training-with.html
I found his journal entries in the link above to be incredibly accurate so there’s no need in me re-writing this overview of what to expect. In fact, this is exactly what you get. And MORE.

We worked on:
Pattern Play - playing with the line of the angle for position on the next object ball
Rolling cue ball with spin - spinning rather than draw to establish angle with more control
Cue ball control with spin - twist, full tip and spinning cue ball
Using contradictory spins to manufacture new paths
Core shot drills with five hits- shots down rails with punch follow, punch draw, stop shots, follow and draw.
Stoke - slowing my backswing, hang, and then a smooth transition with acceleration though the cue ball.
Mental game - acceptance of reality, invisible ninjas, no self abuse, mum pool, etc, etc, etc.

Here’s the message I sent to Demetrius after receiving a THREE PAGE detailed email recap from him outlining nearly every detail of the 3-day boot camp experience he provided during my stay:

Demetrius, once again you completely amaze me with your thoughtful, detailed communication. After reading Boise Matt’s review of his experience with you several months ago, I had high expectations of what I might expect if I took the trip to see you myself. You lived up to ALL of them and managed to EXCEED most of them.

It was such a rare opportunity to have a professional pool player’s dedicated time, focus and intense drive to teach me a better way to play the game. Sleeping in your home and sharing meals together during the entire three-day, one-on-one boot camp was just an added part of the total pool immersion I was fortunate enough to be a part of. My count was 37.25 hours of actual table time while I was there! WOW!!!

I’ve had the privilege over the past 35 years (since the first time I picked up a pool cue) to take individual lessons from some truly remarkable players and instructors. Ted G. Brown (acknowledged creator of the Wagon Wheel system), Bart Mahoney (certified instructor and mentor), Gene Ahola (pool room owner, top local player and instructor), Bob Jewett (Billiards Digest contributor and US Open Straight Pool player), Oscar Dominguez (top ranked pro player, instructor, pool room owner), to name a few. Over the years, I’ve read many books on pool (Mastering Pool, 99 Critical Shots in Pool, Play Great Pool, etc), magazine subscription articles for decades (Pool & Billiard magazine, Billiards Digest, etc), mental focus books (Inner Game of Tennis, Finding Your Zone, Pleasures of Small Motions, etc).

To date, the time I spent listening, learning and playing along side you did more for my pool playing journey than any other individual training I’ve received so far. From looking at pattern play and safeties in a new light, to spinning the cue ball and finding ways to move into the next shot line - instead of across it. Having the dedicated time during my visit to make a significant modification to my stroke and then the follow-up with continued instruction and awareness so I could build the new technique into muscle memory through consistent repetition and positive encouragement from you along the way. My self-confidence is raised to a new level and I’m excited at the possibilities my pool playing future will bring.

Thank you sincerely for that. Your hospitality, warm sincere welcome during my entire visit (from the moment you picked me up at the airport until you dropped me back off as I was preparing to head home) was greatly appreciated.

In the days and months ahead, I look forward to continuing to work on the drills you showed me - both the shot making drills as well as the mental focus and positive, realistic thoughts during gameplay.

Perhaps another boot camp with you in the future would be beneficial in my continued development and growth? This is something I will give serious thought as I progress.

Warm Regards,
Aaron

Last edited:

heisenbug

Registered
100% agree. When I worked with him it was the single biggest improvement in my game. It’s been months and I’m still learning and improving based off of my notes and with Demetrius’ continued guidance. It feels amazing but the continued improvement and the fact I was so set up for continued success after leaving is even better.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the amazing write up Aaron! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the forum. You acknowledged to me what a leap of faith it was to take a trip to MN to train together and that it was Heisenbug's blog posts that tipped you over the edge. I'm hoping your post encourages someone else to do the same. I enjoy the heck of out doing these and it is tremendously rewarding to me to make new friends in the pool world and help them have more success and enjoyment with this amazing game.

For anyone who is interested in doing something similar, please check out the updates I made on the FAQ section of my website (linked below). I want to make it clear that what I worked on with Heisenbug was different than with Aaron, so don't take these write-ups as a syllabus. Each session is unique and customized to the individual player's level and relative strengths in various skills.

Aaron suggested I link some pictures on my website to show that I have a nice, clean room for my guests, and a beautiful pool room with a 9' diamond. This is a great suggestion and I will work on doing that. For now I will happily email pictures to anyone who wants to see 'the lab'.

January is pretty booked up as I am going to a local tournament on top of Turning Stone and Derby City, so my current availability is December 29 – Jan 1 (I'm ok with watching the 10 ball drop for a new year celebration). I am looking for one person to schedule for February. Please PM me or shoot me a text message at 612-747-9210 if you're interested in connecting by phone. I'm hungry to make 2020 my best year with pool and would love to meet anyone with similar ambition.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
demetrius
i may come christmas week
if that works for you
i will call you
check your pm

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the amazing write up Aaron! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the forum. You acknowledged to me what a leap of faith it was to take a trip to MN to train together and that it was Heisenbug's blog posts that tipped you over the edge. I'm hoping your post encourages someone else to do the same. I enjoy the heck of out doing these and it is tremendously rewarding to me to make new friends in the pool world and help them have more success and enjoyment with this amazing game.

For anyone who is interested in doing something similar, please check out the updates I made on the FAQ section of my website (linked below). I want to make it clear that what I worked on with Heisenbug was different than with Aaron, so don't take these write-ups as a syllabus. Each session is unique and customized to the individual player's level and relative strengths in various skills.

Aaron suggested I link some pictures on my website to show that I have a nice, clean room for my guests, and a beautiful pool room with a 9' diamond. This is a great suggestion and I will work on doing that. For now I will happily email pictures to anyone who wants to see 'the lab'.

January is pretty booked up as I am going to a local tournament on top of Turning Stone and Derby City, so my current availability is December 29 – Jan 1 (I'm ok with watching the 10 ball drop for a new year celebration). I am looking for one person to schedule for February. Please PM me or shoot me a text message at 612-747-9210 if you're interested in connecting by phone. I'm hungry to make 2020 my best year with pool and would love to meet anyone with similar ambition.

And...….. bring a WINTER coat!!:wink:

td

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great post, Aaron.

As those of us who post here regularly know, TinMan is a fountain of knowledge about pool, and based on your review of your learning experience, he is also thorough in his teaching and is a good communicator.

Finding the right instructor is difficult indeed, but it sure sounds like you've found the right one and have also carved out a relationship of mutual regard and respect.

Great job, TinMan. It's no surprise to this AZB poster that you are such an effective teacher of pool.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post, Aaron.

As those of us who post here regularly know, TinMan is a fountain of knowledge about pool, and based on your review of your learning experience, he is also thorough in his teaching and is a good communicator.

Finding the right instructor is difficult indeed, but it sure sounds like you've found the right one and have also carved out a relationship of mutual regard and respect.

Great job, TinMan. It's no surprise to this AZB poster that you are such an effective teacher of pool.

Thank you, very much, SJM.

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where in MN are you located? If we're local is this just a one day program? (reading pricing info on your website). Thanks.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Minneapolis

Where in MN are you located? If we're local is this just a one day program? (reading pricing info on your website). Thanks.

Metro area here. I'm in Robbinsdale, MN, just outside of Minneapolis. One day sessions available for those within driving distance. Once plane tickets are involved it generally makes sense to extend it out. If there's a drive I'm ok doing a 'one day' as a 24 hour. For example, someone is driving up to my place at 4PM later this month, we'll put in 4-5 hours, then another 6 the next day and he can drive home.

Just had an amazing follow up session with a local student today. He was around the 580 Fargo level when he started (three months ago, not this morning!) and I'd put him about 620 right now. He gives me all the credit, which I decline and insist on giving to him. He took the steps and put in the work, so in my mind it was all him. But it is night and day to see how he's taken some of what we worked on and put it into action. Coming off of a 5-10 year plateau.

We're both pretty excited. The two highlights of my day were the highs and the lows. The high was that during one practice set to 5 (big table 10 ball) he ran out his first three opportunities to get me down 3-0. The first run out was off a dry break and it was unlike any run I've seen from him before. In the past he was losing the cue ball, making recovery shots, and eventually failing. This run was smooth! He got away with a little something from the 2 to the 3, but then he ran the rest of the balls out and the cue ball was on a dime. Just the way I like it. Perfect speed, well thought out transitions, and (my favorite) no chance for anything to go wrong. That was the cleanest run out I've ever seen from him and it wasn't in his range when we first met up. I was feeling a little threatened until I remembered I was rooting for him!

The other highlight was the low. I had him shoot some other run outs and he was still making sub-optimal decisions at times, getting out of line, and missing. This is great, because this is the path forward. You can't improve if you don't have weaknesses, so I celebrate them. They are the path to higher level pool. We marked the ball position and I showed him how I'd run those balls out. He wasn't feeling my shot selection but that was because he wasn't comfortable hitting a couple of the shots I considered higher percentage. So we practiced those transitions until he knew them. Then we went back to the run out and he was able to run out the way I did, cue ball on a string.

I like this form of practice. Most players play terrible patterns and don't know it. But they are missing a lot of shots and work around them. It would be like watching a player that couldn't use side spin, or couldn't use draw. Their patterns would be suspect because they are missing tools. So when I work with students on patterns we are also working on cue ball because it then exposes which tools they are missing. Some are fancy pants shots that come up only once in a while, but the ones we spend time on are shots I consider routine that come up multiple times a set that they don't have in their wheelhouse.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I won the next five in a row to come back that set. But he had me sweating! I missed one shot early and he fumbled one when I was up 4-3, otherwise it was pretty well played. We worked on some other things and ended with a couple hours of one pocket, talking through decisions and hitting different shots. Setting things up and trying them different ways, etc. All in all I truly love this game and it's a thrill to see people's games come together.

Finally, to make this post just a little longer, let me add this. I am not competing with Scott Lee or Dr. Dave. They are both awesome at what they do. I would love to work with Dr. Dave myself some day. As for Scott Lee, I have met him and spoken with him, and I still owe him a favor because he helped me with my break in a conversation we had over the phone! I plan on going to his school when he comes to MN next summer. They both are great all around instructors. Scott Lee I believe is an absolute authority on fundamentals, and Dr. Dave seems like he has a full on course all encompassing on top of 1:1 instruction.

As for me, I feel like I am more street fighter. A little rough compared to their experience teaching, but I've fought a lot of fights and know this game really, really well. I watch someone play and ask myself why they aren't beating me, then I highlight those areas, show it to them so they can see it, then work on putting it together.

Find the person that you feel is the right fit for you, or do it on your own if you have a good plan of attack and are making good progress. What I wish for all of you is you enjoy every day playing this game and that you never, ever believe the voice inside that whispers to you that you can't get any better.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
demetrius
i may come christmas week
if that works for you
i will call you
check your pm

i did go for 3 days over christmas
it was well worth the time ,effort ,and cost.....:smile:
demetrius is a wonderful host who truly wants to help you become the best player you can be.
we worked on my psr and alot on rotation patterns some onepocket and some on the mental game
it was eye opening for me to see how a professional pool PLAYER approaches the game and his perspective
he definitely improved my ability/decision making to plan the transitions from one ball to the next
we did drills to improve cue ball control and ball pocketing
i have never seen someone be able to "flip the switch"so well from talking to me to when he had to shoot
his focus and concentration on EVERY shot was very impressive.
he was able to pick my game apart and see the weak links to make stronger
and to solidify my strengths
i left with a notebook covering many of the layouts we worked on
drills to do
usefull comments
and a PLAN for the future.
besides the pool
i got to know demetrius and he got to know me.
and I can consider him a friend.
thank you demetrius for your time ,knowledge,hospitality.and sincere interest in helping me reach the level of skill i hope to acheive
larry

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Just subscribing to this thread.
Thanks for all your write ups!
Always wanted to go to MN...
...Not in the winter though!! lol

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you

i did go for 3 days over christmas
it was well worth the time ,effort ,and cost.....:smile:
demetrius is a wonderful host who truly wants to help you become the best player you can be.
we worked on my psr and alot on rotation patterns some onepocket and some on the mental game
it was eye opening for me to see how a professional pool PLAYER approaches the game and his perspective
he definitely improved my ability/decision making to plan the transitions from one ball to the next
we did drills to improve cue ball control and ball pocketing
i have never seen someone be able to "flip the switch"so well from talking to me to when he had to shoot
his focus and concentration on EVERY shot was very impressive.
he was able to pick my game apart and see the weak links to make stronger
and to solidify my strengths
i left with a notebook covering many of the layouts we worked on
drills to do
usefull comments
and a PLAN for the future.
besides the pool
i got to know demetrius and he got to know me.
and I can consider him a friend.
thank you demetrius for your time ,knowledge,hospitality.and sincere interest in helping me reach the level of skill i hope to acheive
larry

Thank you Larry. Our time together was very special to me. You are an inspiring individual and I look forward to watching you use what we worked on to achieve your goals!

For anyone that is interested I have one slot to fill for March/April. It may be Minnesota but it is always 70% and fluorescent in my pool room...