Upset with cuemaker

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorta amazed by the good fortune I've had with my pool cue builders.
There's three (3) cue builders I've had the pleasure of ordering cues from:

Bob Runde (Schon) 1985
Bob Owen 2013 & 2016
Jerry Rauenzahn 2014 & 2016.

It was just over the top exciting to confer and have them complete cue designs
I wanted built and every single pool cue turned out to be a dandy in terms of
looks and the way the cue plays. Except for the Runde Schon, the cues Bob
and Jerry made have the identical specs which was my original intention.

The best part is the communciations with Bob Owen & Jerry Rauenzahn was
just fantastic and their ideas were not only helpful but it lead to building some
great friendships. With Mr. Runde, it was a little different and frankly, I tested
his patience with nit picking but he was very gracious and indulged my antics.

The other good news is that all of the cues were estimated to be at least a year
to complete, except for the Schon Runde but that took more than a year since
Bob ultimately wound up having to build 2 cues. Remember, I already confessed
to testing his patience. And despite having to indulge my whims alog the way, all
three (3) cue-makers delivered their cues to me on time and without any hitches.

So when I read about some of the complaints posted by other Azers about their
cue ordering frustrations, it makes me feel fortunate I picked the right cue-makers.
There really are good cue-makers so do the research, plus keep your fingers crossed.

Matt B.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to be late in getting the job done, contact the customer and let them know what is going on.

Most of these complaints on here involve cue makers not communicating with the buyer.

I find it funny that they can run all kinds of lathes, routers, CNC machines, etc., etc., but they somehow seem it find it hard to use a phone or e-mail when there is a problem. They don't seem to have that problem when they use a phone or computer to take your order and your money.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edited: Seems like this is the norm. Thanks for the replies

" my cue is a couple weeks late " lololol, more like you're actually several months ahead of schedule ☺

I am a hand craftsman and sometimes will say an item needs a few more costs and will be ready to go for the customer. However sometimes u may spot an issue with the finish or something was missed or changes in humidity may cause the drying times to take longer or a personal unforseen issue such as health or family reasons may arise which u have to deal with etc etc . Other times I have had lathe parts go on me suddenly which have worked for years and then been at be mercy of suppliers delivering them in time so I could finish the job.

In these cases I will hold onto the works a few more days to ensure it goes out perfect to the customer. I have only ever had good feedback from customers who generally say it was well worth the extra wait when these circumstances happen.

On the other hand when I first started I rushed to finish a job for an impatient customer and will never do that again because I missed a specification and he returned the item to be properly finished. If he had waited a few more days the issue would never have occurred.

From a hand craftsmans perspective quality is far more important than time and patience is a virtue particularly when u are making detailed time consuming pieces. In almost every case the customer has no idea what is involved in making the item and what can legitimately cause delays. Likewise in every case the customer wants to receive my best work and it is hard to deliver that if they r impatient.

I have also rushed cuemakers and I didn't get the results I expected and wished I had been less impatient and waited it out as in many cases u don't know the reason for the delay or the reason he hasn't contacted u. I remember watching a film about the famous rocking chair maker Sam Maloof whose wife kept getting calls from customers and she simply said to them it will be ready when it's ready.

If there is a demand for the craftsman works then the craftsman will not send out anything unless it is perfect because once it leaves the workshop it is out in the public arena long after the customers impatience has worn off.

In light of the above, I don't know your circumstances and this is just an example from a craftsmans world not to be taken directly to your case.

I do understand there can be delays with this type of work but while I understand that there's still a couple big issues : if more than a couple weeks tops late, to me that means the maker is NOT giving people realistic quotes or something in their business model is flawed if it routinely happens ( which I'm sure it does. Secondly and even more importantly ; as others have said and is just common sense , keeping in contact with customer and returning their calls when you know you are gonna be late is just a horrible business practice and downright rude imo. Also as others have said, it does not seem to be a problem AT ALL when taking an order, deposit or any kind of payment lol. I also practice not making final payments ( half or a little more of the total ) until product / service is actually done. In the OP'a case it seems that he was under the impression his cue was " just about " done though. Good luck, hope it works out .

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" my cue is a couple weeks late " lololol, more like you're actually several months ahead of schedule ☺

I do understand there can be delays with this type of work but while I understand that there's still a couple big issues : if more than a couple weeks tops late, to me that means the maker is NOT giving people realistic quotes or something in their business model is flawed if it routinely happens ( which I'm sure it does. Secondly and even more importantly ; as others have said and is just common sense , keeping in contact with customer and returning their calls when you know you are gonna be late is just a horrible business practice and downright rude imo. Also as others have said, it does not seem to be a problem AT ALL when taking an order, deposit or any kind of payment lol. I also practice not making final payments ( half or a little more of the total ) until product / service is actually done. In the OP'a case it seems that he was under the impression his cue was " just about " done though. Good luck, hope it works out .

I am not sure why you have quoted what I have written? or your last sentence?

I haven't referred to timely communication and responding to calls which goes without saying? or most of what you have written?

I also ended the paragraph with 'In light of the above, I don't know your circumstances and this is just an example from a craftsmans world not to be taken directly to your case'

Next time, read what people write properly before formulating a response and quote writings relevant to your post please. I wrote my post from the perspective of a craftsman without prejudice to the OP.

Last edited: