Room needed for a mechanic to install snooker table (short room)

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
So... here's the deal.. I, by some miracle, might have stumbled upon a house to rent here in that has a 19 foot long room in the basement, that I would like to put a full-sized snooker table in. (A 9 foot table is going on another floor, so no need to give me that advice..) It is basically going to be used solely for open-table stroke training with normal pool balls. I know it's a wierd requirement, but it's one of my favorite types of practice.

So, I know that I will be restricted to using the table on three sides, and I am cool with that. I have no interest in practicing any shots off the rail whatsoever.

So, what I need to know, since my installer does not speak a lot of English, is how much room does an installer need at the ends of the snooker table to install the table safely? I have calculated that in a 19' room, I have about 88" to split between the ends of the table. I would prefer to have as much stance room at one end of the table as possible, so I need to know the minimum space from the wall the installer needs on the short end, so the rest can be allocated to the other.

I would assume it is not practical for the installer to install the table fully against the far wall, which would give me the maximum distance at the open end, so just trying to figure out whether a full 12 footer is practical at all, given my non-need for rail shots at all.

If this is just not workable at all, I can and will reduce to a 10 footer in the same space, but for whatever reason, these cost 1000 Euro more than full 12 footers here in Germany.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Enough room to use the needed tools and to slide your body between the table and the wall is enough (like a foot or so) but it's no fun at all. Don't expect the mechanic to smile and whistle on the job

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Enough room to use the needed tools and to slide your body between the table and the wall is enough (like a foot or so) but it's no fun at all. Don't expect the mechanic to smile and whistle on the job

So... 2 to 2 1/2 feet would be fairly "comfortable"?

If I did the split 30" / 58" on the ends, it would give the mechanic 2 1/2 feet at the tight end, and give me a full stance as long as the cue ball was a minimum foot from the end rail.

Does this seem workable, from an installation viewpoint?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Wouldn't bother me

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Welllll... Ima try to talk them down a little on a 10 footer. They are wanting like 1900 euro for them, which is a little cray-cray...

A 10 foot snooker table would prolly server for my purposes, and be more comfortable to both install and play on in that sized room.