foul?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
cue ball foul only play. Jacked up over 7 ball shooting cue ball. grazed the 7 with the shaft. it moved but didnt hit the cue ball. Foul or not.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the shaft hit the 7 before the tip hit the the cb it is a foul as illegal to shoot with balls in motion.

I probably never call it unless I feel it is a " move ".

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
CUE-BALL FOULS ONLY, no foul.

"All balls must be at stop before hitting the Cue-Ball".
Previous players inning, all balls were at stop. The new shooter created a moving object ball during their shot. This can happen via a dropped stick, chalk cube, "X?" or moving object ball during cue-ball stroke. As long as the cue-ball was not touched in ANY manor, no foul.
Usually it's opponents choice to return 'moved object ball' where it was.

BUT local leagues rules apply, which we don't know of, on this thread.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
cue ball foul only play. Jacked up over 7 ball shooting cue ball. grazed the 7 with the shaft. it moved but didnt hit the cue ball. Foul or not.
No one I've seen play by "cue ball fouls only" would call that a foul unless you did the tricky thing of dragging the 7 away from the cue ball on your back stroke so you have a full cue ball to shoot at on your forward stroke. I know a player who practiced that move.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foul.....if shooting over or around an interfering ball and it happens to move. Saves all arguments.

You are referring to ALL ball fouls. This was cue ball foul only. No foul unless the 7 touched the cue ball.

In BCA It would be a foul if cue ball is disturbed, OR, more then one ball was disturbed.

The OP did not say he took the shot while the 7 was moving. He will have to clarify.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one I've seen play by "cue ball fouls only" would call that a foul unless you did the tricky thing of dragging the 7 away from the cue ball on your back stroke so you have a full cue ball to shoot at on your forward stroke. I know a player who practiced that move.

I had a good player try this on me.
I left him 1/2" from a ball. He tried this,I yelled whoa the second he touched ball.
I moved the ball back to nearly frozen:wink:
He gave me a dirty look, I replied you shouldn't have moved it.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Shooter says contact with 7 ball was after cue ball contact. Opponent claims he saw the shooters shaft roll across the 7 at the same time as cue ball contact. Opponent says shared contact constitutes a cue ball foul. It was determined no foul ( cue ball fouls only) regardless.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a foul in CSI/BCAPL/USAPL play

In CSI/BCAPL/USAPL play, the OP's specific situation is thoroughly covered by Rule 1-33 and Applied Ruling 1-33 Situation 6. No foul unless, as Mr. Jewett noted, the act is intentional, or unless, as noted in the Applied Ruling, a ball set in motion as a result of the shot later contacts the disturbed ball or passes through its original position.

In CSI play the disturbed ball is NOT a ball in motion with respect to the rule concerning shooting with a ball in motion. That is definitely not within the intent of the CSI rules, and I think not within the intent of WSR. I'm guessing Mr. Jewett will likely concur with the WSR opinion.

Buddy

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Foul.....if shooting over or around an interfering ball and it happens to move. Saves all arguments.

I was sitting here thinking that is how it is when shooting over a ball.
The reason it often blocks the view and it is hard to decide if the cue ball or shaft hit it. I would call it a foul by the old express rules also.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common misconception...an INTERFERING ball here is in FRONT of the cue ball.

This is NOT a foul.
For our 9-ball weekly tournament, although we play cue ball fouls only, we adhere to the rule that if the ball you accidentally touch or move is the next ball in rotation (for example you move the 6-ball when shooting at the 5-ball) then it is a foul, ball-in-hand to your opponent. Any other ball, it is not a foul as long as you inform your opponent you moved it, you don't move it back yourself, and you give your opponent the option to move it back to it's original spot or leave it at it's new position.