Schmidt video release November

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Per John's FB
https://imgur.com/ZH9Q1pg

I've only seen my 626 once on film. I'll say this , that run that day was a blur but after watching it omg. So many times I'm in huge trouble and would bet high run ends if I didn't know better. It looks like late Nov people will see it for first time. I'm booking private showings and I'll be there. That way it's not pirated or copied. It's only way that lets people see it without losing ownership of it. I already have a private party I'm showing it at.should be fun.

END

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Per John's FB

I've only seen my 626 once on film. I'll say this , that run that day was a blur but after watching it omg. So many times I'm in huge trouble and would bet high run ends if I didn't know better. It looks like late Nov people will see it for first time. I'm booking private showings and I'll be there. That way it's not pirated or copied. It's only way that lets people see it without losing ownership of it. I already have a private party I'm showing it at.should be fun.

END

I would assume travel costs would be more than revenue.:cool:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, for all the "where is the video" people......there you are:thumbup:

I wonder what a private viewing cost?

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
well I guess he gave up on the idea of making money from it. I’d go to a private showing if he was somewhere close to me but how many people within 90 miles of his locale will want to pay to watch it?

Just put it up on YouTube and put a few add stops in so I can watch pro favor.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elsewhere in that thread he chuckles about maybe having the world premiere in Springfield, MS.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not quite sure what the endgame is here, but then again it's clear that neither does John.

It's too bad that such a sublime run is followed by such a business and marketing fiasco. He may make tens, even hundreds of dollars off of this! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, this run-of-the-mill match has been viewed 20 thousand times on YouTube in 15 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz39J-jwUys

Imagine how many people would have watched and rewatched the Guinness Book of World Records 626 run. Imagine allowing the video to take on a life of its own as other people commentate over cool plays, examine patterns, create a top 10 list of best shots from the run. (News flash: John could have done all of this himself.) Imagine how cool it would have been to have a 15 or 20 part series where John and a series of other top straight pool minds give their thoughts on how each rack was worked through. Imagine what would happen to Schmidt's name recognition as the video (or highlight reels from the video) rise to the top of every pool and billiards search on YouTube. Imagine how much attention could have been attracted to Schmidt, his sponsors, and the game of straight pool if they had struck while the iron was hot.

But no, we get screenings in a dark room that are more reminiscent of a hostage incident or visit to the White House where people have to show IDs and put their phones in a plastic baggie before entering the room.

Embarrassing.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Per John's FB

END

This just got weird! :eek:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Attachments

• man-looking-camera-disbelief_23-2147799063.jpg
    man-looking-camera-disbelief_23-2147799063.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,104
Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Elsewhere in that thread he chuckles about maybe having the world premiere in Springfield, MS.

Arnaldo

I imagine that's Springfield, Ohio, where Mosconi ran the 526.

[or Springfield, Missouri, to get to Harriman]

But this was someone else's idea, not John's.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me breaking a historical record like that should be in main stream media or Sports Center at a minimum.

Why shrouded in secrecy? Pool needs help-not coveted private showings for the privileged and elite.

Schmit was the guy who I’d figured to break that record, it actually came slower than I expected.

But wide spread coverage and attention would have served our community better than a big secret.

I’m just a fat dumb guy,

Warmest regards and thanks,

Fatboy

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if this is because of concerns about copyright infringement it's just paranoid and stupid. yea pool players are cheap but they're also lazy, they won't travel to whereever to watch a 4hr solo run. most people would probably buy it if it was on vimeo

he should sell it to accustats, because it's clear he can't handle this himself

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is all good, eventually though pool fans around the globe would need to see it too, perhaps a year after private showings?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This is all good, eventually though pool fans around the globe would need to see it too, perhaps a year after private showings?
Sorry, US residents only. The plan apparantly is to have as few people see it as possible. The private showings will be held in secret locations (primarily rented storage units) and attendees will be searched for cameras before being issued a metal folding chair.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is an unexpected development, but John needs to handle this as he sees fit.

Perhaps he feels that those who attend the private viewing will publicly and boisterously rave about what they saw to the point that others become even more excited to watch it than they had been.

Whatever his plan, I wish him good luck with it. He deserves to be able to monetize his amazing effort to the greatest extent possible.