CSI INVITATIONAL 8-BALL (July 23-25, 2014) 16 Players (Winner $8K/ Runner up $5K)

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on how the event is structured. If the top player from each group is supposed to advance and the top player has to withdraw then it's the promoter's right to fill the spot with the second highest finishing player in the group.

Anyway the buzz around the tournament room is that some folks feel Shane shouldn't have been put back in and others feel that it was the right move.

This isn't like every other tournament on the planet. It's a CSI INVITATIONAL tournament with their own rules and formats.

Not saying it was right or wrong, just saying that there is precedent in sports across the board for participants to be called back into the event when a higher finisher withdraws.

What tournament where ???

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
There really aint much u wankers couldnt pick apart and tar and feather a fellow for.. and for the same shit u prob done 1000x over urselves... why cause ur **** heads and really just need a good kick in the face.. go run ur own event right and show csi how its done
That's why we're here.

Score update anyone (not Celtic).

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This forum is filled with the biggest bunch of cry babies. Holy hell do you guys have nothing better to do with your lives than to sit around and cry and whine? This forum has turned into a damn soap opera.

Thats what forums are for. It is also important to be critical when the sport is helplessly dying. When the US has the honor of collecting some of the top players in the world in one setting, we should be even extra careful. Whatever the ruling is, the fact that there isnt a rule set in place for this situation is quite unprofessional.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
When they just screwed his brother, don't forget to add that.

No doubt, that is something so many people including Billy are ignoring. The mental mind **** that this change put on Ko Pin Yi an instant before his match started and how much it would screw with the little brothers head to see it all go down like this.

This tournament tarnished the results completely. SVB is not a champion of anything, that tin cup is worthless and meaningless. WTG SVB, WTG CSI.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thats what forums are for. It is also important to be critical when the sport is helplessly dying. When the US has the honor of collecting some of the top players in the world in one setting, we should be even extra careful. Whatever the ruling is, the fact that there isnt a rule set in place for this situation is quite unprofessional.

How does anyone know that there wasn't a rule in place? I haven't talked to Mark or anyone connected with the event but how do we know that they didn't make the decision based on their own criteria?

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Umm, no?

Seriously, CSI killed any semblance of sport in this event. Watching SVB freeroll his way into a "win" is actually a little sickening to the stomach. The Ko brothers got completely screwed in this event by CSI and so did the fans of the "sport".

I paid CSI for it, but I am certainly not going to watch this crap after the BS. CSI can keep the money, hopefully they invest it well because as a person who has spent probably over $1000 on streams in my lifetime I am absolutely serious that I will NEVER buy another CSI event or support anything they are associated with. They have completely obliterated their reputation and have proven to have absolutely no concept of "fair play" and what is right and fair within the sport they are running events in.

Agreed. This is not a major tournament and the players are playing for the money not the title.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This forum is filled with the biggest bunch of cry babies. Holy hell do you guys have nothing better to do with your lives than to sit around and cry and whine? This forum has turned into a damn soap opera.
This. A million times this. So much ridiculous overreaction in this thread. It's pool not the end of the world. Just watch the matches and relax.

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hungarian is 100% correct. This isn't a big deal at all, except to a very small but vocal minority of SVB haters on this forum. I'd even wager that if it were Dennis or Daz or someone other than Shane, the "outrage" wouldn't be nearly as vitriolic.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Problem with that, there is a rule it's called giving the other player (KO) a bye.
Anything else is funny business. Don't be afraid to stand up for the truth.
The truth will set you free.

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt, that is something so many people including Billy are ignoring. The mental mind **** that this change put on Ko Pin Yi an instant before his match started and how much it would screw with the little brothers head to see it all go down like this.

This tournament tarnished the results completely. SVB is not a champion of anything, that tin cup is worthless and meaningless. WTG SVB, WTG CSI.

How can you assert you know this affected anyone's mindset but your own?

And, how is this SVB's fault? :confused:

Celtic

Silver Member
This isn't a big deal at all, except to a very small but vocal minority of SVB haters on this forum. I'd even wager that if it were Dennis or Daz or someone other than Shane, the "outrage" wouldn't be nearly as vitriolic.

Give me a break. This has nothing to do with it being SVB. Had SVB gotten into the semi-finals legitimately and had to face Ko in a winner vs winner match Ko would have been mentally ready to face SVB and they would have played on even terms. That is not how it went down, the mental dynamics of the match were not what they were supposed to be because someone who was not supposed to be there suddenly appeared. It makes NO DIFFERENCE who the substitute player was, it is the fact that there should have been NO SUBSTITUTE at all!

Celtic

Silver Member
And, how is this SVB's fault? :confused:

I don't blame SVB but I certainly would not feel terribly proud if I were him after "winning" this event and I would likely take my money and go away quietly back to my room without much celebration because I would know for a fact I did not really earn it.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hungarian is 100% correct. This isn't a big deal at all, except to a very small but vocal minority of SVB haters on this forum. I'd even wager that if it were Dennis or Daz or someone other than Shane, the "outrage" wouldn't be nearly as vitriolic.

The fact that it involves svb on an USA operated event on USA soil makes it more controversial. SVB hater or not, people should be able to voice their own opinion as you do. Please dont mistake the person for their claims.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What tournament where ???

I'm not defending CSI, but to answer this question, it doesn't take long to think of qualifying matches, tournaments, and competitions that the guy who qualified to advance couldn't make it to the next level of tournament so they gave the next guy the spot. Happens all the time.

It might make more sense for formats that don't have the qualifier and finals on the same day.

Again, not defending the CSI decision.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
.??

FWIW

Based upon my knowledge and experience, in most two stage tournaments, in the event that a group qualifier is not able to continue to the next stage (for injury, disqualification, etc...) it is quite common to advance the next highest group finisher.

This is not the first time it has happened. I agree that in a single or double elimination tournament, a knockout means you're out. But this is generally not the case in Two stage tournaments.

I've seen this happen in soccer, badminton, and martial arts tourneys.

Having said this, the players are entitled to play under whatever rules were stated or implied at the beginning.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's so true that if it were any other player there wouldn't be nearly this much fuss put up about it. Score is tied 4-4 by the way. Funny thing is...how does anyone know that there wasn't a rule in place if this happened?