can someone build me a cue with no shafts.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I know its a strange request, but instead of me Frankensteining my cues to my specifications, and I recently had a bad experience with a custom I ordered, I use ob pro shafts, which I have two at the moment, and I want a simple four point hoppe 30" butt bumperless, can someone do it for me? I know the shafts are a cue makers most time consuming part. so no shafts, just need a butt build for me, who can do it??

80P

Banned
Jim Baxter!!! He's building me one now

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have built several cues through the years to match someones existing shafts.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know its a strange request, but instead of me Frankensteining my cues to my specifications, and I recently had a bad experience with a custom I ordered, I use ob pro shafts, which I have two at the moment, and I want a simple four point hoppe 30" butt bumperless, can someone do it for me? I know the shafts are a cue makers most time consuming part. so no shafts, just need a butt build for me, who can do it??

WTF does "Frankensteining" a cue mean?

Dale

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I'm wondering how much would a cue butt cost with it being just 4 pointers. The cheapest I've found is USD120.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering how much would a cue butt cost with it being just 4 pointers. The cheapest I've found is USD120.

This is easy to figure out. Find a custom cue builder's prices and see how much he charges for an extra shaft. Take that amount and subtract the value from the builder's typical base price for a cue. That should get you very close.

You are not correct regarding shafts being a cue maker's most time consuming job with a custom cue.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
This is easy to figure out. Find a custom cue builder's prices and see how much he charges for an extra shaft. Take that amount and subtract the value from the builder's typical base price for a cue. That should get you very close.

You are not correct regarding shafts being a cue maker's most time consuming job with a custom cue.

Yeah I understand the time consuming part. I was just wondering that's all. I'm interested in a Dufferin ebony with a butterfly. The cheapest I've found was USD120. I don't know how he charges though.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

no.......... if it doesn't have my shaft......... then it's not my cue

Kim

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
WTF does "Frankensteining" a cue mean?

Dale
if you can't figure it out than your out of luck.

time consuming no, it takes longest to finish due to the slow turning process. its what ive been told anyway, you have to slowly turn the shaft in order to avoid warping. i might be wrong, i only know what im told in the subject, as im not a cue maker.

no.......... if it doesn't have my shaft......... then it's not my cue

Kim

so if i put your shaft on a production cue, does it make it your cue?? if thats the case than this thread will collapse the cue making industry, people will only ask searing, southwest, hercek, tascarella and other well know cue makers to just make a shaft for their players/lucasi/fury/mcdermotts cues.
since ive never heard of your cues, ill just assume I didn't want one anyway :rolleyes:

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
time consuming no, it takes longest to finish due to the slow turning process. its what ive been told anyway, you have to slowly turn the shaft in order to avoid warping. i might be wrong, i only know what im told in the subject, as im not a cue maker.

:

Regarding the shafts, your are correct about time needed in turning. Most, however, will do several at once and keep them ready to simply do joint work and finish up when needed. Anybody doing this correctly can have a shaft done within a day unless it has intricate ring work, and not much longer even if it does. Just FYI sir.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm confident you were told that, but you are making a conclusion with incomplete information. The number of passes on each shaft blank and the calendar time it takes to make a finished shaft once a blank enters the shop of a cuemaker does not equate to the cue maker's most time consuming part for each individual cue. That is what you said as part of your justification for trying to get a butt cheaply made. That justification is incorrect.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I'm confident you were told that, but you are making a conclusion with incomplete information. The number of passes on each shaft blank and the calendar time it takes to make a finished shaft once a blank enters the shop of a cuemaker does not equate to the cue maker's most time consuming part for each individual cue. That is what you said as part of your justification for trying to get a butt cheaply made. That justification is incorrect.

the justification is non existent, im not trying to justify anything. I use an OB shaft, its what ive used for a while and I like it. I have two, I spend my hard earned money the way I want to, if your not up to fulfilling my request oh well, on to the next one thousand cue makers who think they can charge collector prices. and getting a cue made with shafts ill never use makes no sense to me, im not a collector, I will plan on using the cue. I will not play premium prices for something I don't need, so yes, if I can get a butt made to match my shaft and not pay for extra material and time seems like a pretty good idea. as far a the time consuming part, I would think that arbitrarily putting inlays to a piece of cured wood would take much longer.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you can't figure it out than your out of luck.

so if i put your shaft on a production cue, does it make it your cue?? if thats the case than this thread will collapse the cue making industry, people will only ask searing, southwest, hercek, tascarella and other well know cue makers to just make a shaft for their players/lucasi/fury/mcdermotts cues.
since ive never heard of your cues, ill just assume I didn't want one anyway :rolleyes:

Ahh yes - just exactly what we need - a language inept retard nit.
Thanks for stopping by.

Dale

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the justification is non existent, im not trying to justify anything. I use an OB shaft, its what ive used for a while and I like it. I have two, I spend my hard earned money the way I want to, if your not up to fulfilling my request oh well, on to the next one thousand cue makers who think they can charge collector prices. and getting a cue made with shafts ill never use makes no sense to me, im not a collector, I will plan on using the cue. I will not play premium prices for something I don't need, so yes, if I can get a butt made to match my shaft and not pay for extra material and time seems like a pretty good idea. as far a the time consuming part, I would think that arbitrarily putting inlays to a piece of cured wood would take much longer.

I never questioned your right to ask for a butt to be mated to your existing shafts. That happens all the time, no big deal. In the process you said something about cuemaking that is grossly inaccurate. Why say what you did if it wasn't some sort of justification to convince a cuemaker to accept the job? It was a pointless statement otherwise. You admit you aren't a cuemaker, but yet you seem to want to argue about why you said it.

I"m glad you found what you were looking for.

Let's try some bullet points.

1. The woods used in butts are turned many times over a significant period of time as well. Maybe not quite as much as shafts for many cuemakers, but most will not put a piece of wood into a butt quickly after they receive it.

2. For a traditional 3 piece butt, there is 4 times the ringwork in a butt than in a shaft. That is four times the work, cost, and time.

3. Many butt components are cored. No coring going on with the shaft. More time, materials, and money for the butt that isn't involved with shafts.

4. A butt gets a joint pin installation, and a shaft gets an insert or threads cut. Events out, though I know which is easier/cheaper for me.

5. A shaft gets a ferrule and tip, a butt gets a butt cap, bumper, and maybe a bore and thread for a weight bolt. Maybe that evens out.

6. Both a shaft and a butt gets final sanded, but the shaft is easier and quicker.

7. Three to 5 inches of a shaft gets a finish. The entire butt either gets finished, or gets finished and a wrap installed. HUGE work/time difference there.

8. The shaft has one component to deal with...the shaft. A 3 piece butt has...well...3. A forearm, handle, and sleeve. The forearm and handle needs to be joined together via the A-joint...more machining. The sleeve needs to be machined and assembled. Don't forget either or both forearm and handle might be cored. Heck, if the butt is full length cored, it nearly has the equivalent a shaft blank that was slowly turned inside of it.

9. Any serious issue with a shaft, the cuemaker selects another shaft from his stable. Any serious issue with the butt, cuemaker is going to potentially lose a lot of time and maybe money. I have never had to start a cue over because of a shaft.

I'm sure there are other basic things I'm forgetting...

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never questioned your right to ask for a butt to be mated to your existing shafts. That happens all the time, no big deal. In the process you said something about cuemaking that is grossly inaccurate. Why say what you did if it wasn't some sort of justification to convince a cuemaker to accept the job? It was a pointless statement otherwise. You admit you aren't a cuemaker, but yet you seem to want to argue about why you said it.

I"m glad you found what you were looking for.

Let's try some bullet points.

1. The woods used in butts are turned many times over a significant period of time as well. Maybe not quite as much as shafts for many cuemakers, but most will not put a piece of wood into a butt quickly after they receive it.

2. For a traditional 3 piece butt, there is 4 times the ringwork in a butt than in a shaft. That is four times the work, cost, and time.

3. Many butt components are cored. No coring going on with the shaft. More time, materials, and money for the butt that isn't involved with shafts.

4. A butt gets a joint pin installation, and a shaft gets an insert or threads cut. Events out, though I know which is easier/cheaper for me.

5. A shaft gets a ferrule and tip, a butt gets a butt cap, bumper, and maybe a bore and thread for a weight bolt. Maybe that evens out.

6. Both a shaft and a butt gets final sanded, but the shaft is easier and quicker.

7. Three to 5 inches of a shaft gets a finish. The entire butt either gets finished, or gets finished and a wrap installed. HUGE work/time difference there.

8. The shaft has one component to deal with...the shaft. A 3 piece butt has...well...3. A forearm, handle, and sleeve. The forearm and handle needs to be joined together via the A-joint...more machining. The sleeve needs to be machined and assembled. Don't forget either or both forearm and handle might be cored. Heck, if the butt is full length cored, it nearly has the equivalent a shaft blank that was slowly turned inside of it.

9. Any serious issue with a shaft, the cuemaker selects another shaft from his stable. Any serious issue with the butt, cuemaker is going to potentially lose a lot of time and maybe money. I have never had to start a cue over because of a shaft.

I'm sure there are other basic things I'm forgetting...

Don't bother, she ain't listening.

Best of luck to whoever agreed to make her a cue butt. Don't do any thing to upset her or you might get responses like this -
"But as I've found a builder who professionally replies and was willing to understand my request, you can go **** yourself in the ass with the broomsticks you build and call them cues. ty, and have a nice day."
And this - "Yes, I would want a cue maker to build me a "cheap" low quality wood, bad glue, crooked pin on purpose. what did you think I meant you FUkin moron. you need it spelled out for you??"
Enjoy.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best of luck to whoever agreed to make her a cue butt. Don't do any thing to upset her or you might get responses like this -
"But as I've found a builder who professionally replies and was willing to understand my request, you can go **** yourself in the ass with the broomsticks you build and call them cues. ty, and have a nice day."
And this - "Yes, I would want a cue maker to build me a "cheap" low quality wood, bad glue, crooked pin on purpose. what did you think I meant you FUkin moron. you need it spelled out for you??"
Enjoy.

WOW! It takes all kinds I guess.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

Enjoy.

why don't you add your responses to your reply. this is how grown men who read comic books react. they take phrases and put them out of context. and how did this turn into a thread like this, I just wanted a cue.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why don't you add your responses to your reply. this is how grown men who read comic books react. they take phrases and put them out of context. and how did this turn into a thread like this, I just wanted a cue.

I would be glad to post the whole thing if you think it will put you in a better light. Somewhat like above where you keep making personal attacks because someone told you to find a "cheap" cue at Walmart, I don't think this is going to turn out quite like you think.

And it turned into a thread like this because of the way you started it. It continued when you made derogatory remarks to cuemakers that supplied you information on the thread. In my case it continued when you responded - "you can pick the woods, I want it done cheap, wrap as well, not picky. whats the cheapest you can do??"

The cuemakers that bother to answer question on here all strive to put out their best product and to learn new things so that that product improves over time. For someone to use the word "cheap" to describe that product, without bothering to tell what actual price range they are looking for or caring what it looks like in the end, would lead the cuemaker to believe that the person simple does not CARE, period. So why would a cuemaker be enthralled about making a cue for such a person? Personally I don't need your money and I don't need you telling others "Look, I bought a cheap cue." I also don't need to deal with people that make personal attacks at me or my business. I gave you a suggestion of where to find "cheap", you made personal attacks. Like I said, I am willing to post it all if you like but if you think you have the high ground here you are sadly mistaken.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I would be glad to post the whole thing if you think it will put you in a better light. Somewhat like above where you keep making personal attacks because someone told you to find a "cheap" cue at Walmart, I don't think this is going to turn out quite like you think.

And it turned into a thread like this because of the way you started it. It continued when you made derogatory remarks to cuemakers that supplied you information on the thread. In my case it continued when you responded - "you can pick the woods, I want it done cheap, wrap as well, not picky. whats the cheapest you can do??"

The cuemakers that bother to answer question on here all strive to put out their best product and to learn new things so that that product improves over time. For someone to use the word "cheap" to describe that product, without bothering to tell what actual price range they are looking for or caring what it looks like in the end, would lead the cuemaker to believe that the person simple does not CARE, period. So why would a cuemaker be enthralled about making a cue for such a person? Personally I don't need your money and I don't need you telling others "Look, I bought a cheap cue." I also don't need to deal with people that make personal attacks at me or my business. I gave you a suggestion of where to find "cheap", you made personal attacks. Like I said, I am willing to post it all if you like but if you think you have the high ground here you are sadly mistaken.

it seems no one else tells others about ur cues as well, if you didnt need my money than dont respond. I never asked, care, gave a fug or wanted opinions. now im on a position I never wanted to be in, I never had a problem with you sensitive little Bs. either you can or can't build me what I want, I'm not picky, just need it to be straight and not fall apart, no I dont need ivory inlays, it has zero effect on a cue. you obviously can't read or understand a sentence without a picture next to it, thats your problem. and yes, go ahead and post the whole thing, im sure there's plenty here who can read a full sentence without tripping over themselves. I do have the high ground, I asked a simple request and you respond with "go to walmart". thats where I have the high ground, you can't respond with a simple "sorry can't help you" you have to have a condescending remark. good luck with your business, i'm sure you'll be a pool household name soon with such a wonderful personality you got there. insult someone and than post their replies. pathetic.