question about cutting handle tenons for A JOINT and butt sleeve

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a question for the cue makers please. Im starting to process a bunch of handles to get into my pipeline of wood. trying to get it ready for assembly down the road. my question is how much material can i take out when cutting my tenon for A joint and my approx 5 inch tenon for coring my butt sleeve. im thinking i should take it out in incremental bites but not sure how much i should take at a time. or is taking it off all at once ok any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks :thumbup:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think cutting both tenons all at once is fine if you glue them up right away. If not that long butt sleeve tenon can warp. If you want to cut in increments hang the handle by the long tenon to hold straight.

bstroud

Deceased
Chris,

You want to cut in increments and let it warp (move) if it wants to.

When it stops moving you can use it for a cue.

Takes some time depending of the atmosphere in your shop.

If you don’ t control the temp and humidity in your shop you will only make a stable cue by accident.

Bill S.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Plan on at least 5 cuts.
More importantly, do it on your taper machine.
Do not do it on your lathe using a lathe bit.
Use the router and a sharp bit.

And nobody says you have to take it down to .750".
.875" works for me.

Last edited:

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. I really appreciate the responses from mr Hightower. Mr stroud. And mr. Lomas. It's awesome to be able to ask advice and be able to actually talk to such esteemed cue builders as yourselves. it's a true honor gentleman. Thank you.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Joey in Cali. I thank u so much. I really enjoy reading all your posts on cue building. U really give back to the art of cue building. Mall u guys do. Sorry I didn't get u n the first response But I was trying to type the response by memory. Lol

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So. Like I could cut them Alittle every month. Or every other month. What kind of schedule would u guys suggest. Thanks A bunch.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut them incrementally and them let them hang slightly oversize until I am ready to use them. I only make the final cuts to my tenons right before glue up. When doing your final turn you can see right away which ones are stable and which ones are not. The good ones will run true before that final cut.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
And nobody says you have to take it down to .750".
.875" works for me.

.875 - 7/8" B/S tenon dia. seems to be gaining in popularity of late.
Likely due to the possible warp issue. The concept has been around for a while.

My contribution to this thread is that the B/S tenon doesn't need to be of
the same wood as the wrap-handle. Coupled with a 7/8" dia., warp is history.

KJ

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.875 - 7/8" B/S tenon dia. seems to be gaining in popularity of late.
Likely due to the possible warp issue. The concept has been around for a while.

My contribution to this thread is that the B/S tenon doesn't need to be of
the same wood as the wrap-handle. Coupled with a 7/8" dia., warp is history.

KJ

Oh ok. So your saying join the butt sleeve tenon into the handle kind of like the A joint. If your using different wood for it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Oh ok. So your saying join the butt sleeve tenon into the handle kind of like the A joint. If your using different wood for it.

He's saying use a 7/8 coring dowel for the handle .
Sleeve the 12" long handle sleeve and use a 17" long dowel.

Once you start making a bunch of coring dowels, you no longer have to worry about the butt sleeve tenon.

An .875" dowel will need an .880" or so gun drill.

Some people use phenolic tube in the A-joint cavity but that's another story.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Once you start making a bunch of coring dowels, you no longer have to worry about the butt sleeve tenon.

An .875" dowel will need an .880" or so gun drill.

Some people use phenolic tube in the A-joint cavity but that's another story.

Ahhhh. Ok. I understand now. Lol. Thanks!!!!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chris,

you want to cut in increments and let it warp (move) if it wants to.

When it stops moving you can use it for a cue.

Takes some time depending of the atmosphere in your shop.

If you don’ t control the temp and humidity in your shop you will only make a stable cue by accident.

Bill s.

.....amen....

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member

No I'm not. Where the hell did you get that ?
You know my position on coring. I'm not suggesting coring at all here.
I'm quite capable of speaking and writing for myself; I don't need a translator.
I'm talking a B/S tenon and only a tenon, 1 1/2 - 2" deep into the base of the wrap-handle wood.
I knew that concept would be too foreign for some. About as foreign as coring is for me.
Y'all have a GREAT day. Now that coring is being introduced to the thread....I'm gone.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Since it has been introduced, I guess nobody will mind if I say that I core my handles ;) I do it the way Joey described, 12" handle with 16.5" core. Movement is not an issue.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since it has been introduced, I guess nobody will mind if I say that I core my handles ;) I do it the way Joey described, 12" handle with 16.5" core. Movement is not an issue.

Thanks for the input. What size do u do your dowels for cores.
Since I'm new to cue building. I welcome all styles of building process. Just trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Thanks guys. :). Much appreciated

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I use a .775" core. When the sleeve is ready to install, I shave the tenon down to .750". IMO, the diameter of the tenon is irrelevant. The exception is weight distribution. The butt sleeve serves a bigger purpose than simply aesthetics. Case in point, a cocobolo nose with maple handle will be front heavy. The cocobolo butt sleeve counterweights the front for balance. The larger the tenon, the less the cocobolo sleeve will weigh, the less it will be able to counter the front tilted balance. Of course you can add weight bolts in attempt to manipulate balance. Contrarily, a maple front with cocobolo points & maple handle will not be near as front heavy as a cocobolo front. Using a larger diameter tenon in this cue makes sense to prevent the cocobolo sleeve from placing the balance too rearward.

These are often ignored details that I put a lot of thought into with a cue build. This kind of stuff is critical throughout the build from tip to bumper. Certainly somebody can dismiss it as wading in the weeds, but their success or lack thereof reflects their approach. Point being, put some thought into your cues. Try to grasp what's going on, why things get done the way they do. If you don't fully understand the purpose for each component and how it relates with the rest of the cue, then you are building blind. Further yet, if you don't understand the purpose, you cannot figure out ways to make it better. We have plenty makers who build a so-so hitting cue that are really pretty. Don't be another one.