AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Rubber Feather Strips
Old
  (#1)
SlateMate
Banned
SlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Rubber Feather Strips - 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM

i never used rubber feather strips but it seems like a reasonable upgrade from wood. i would have gone with rubber because that's what came with my table BUT i'm missing one strip so i have to buy more anyway. should i get wood or go with rubber?

oh, btw: the previous owner put on Chinese, Uylin rubber and i tested it by pressing the rails on the slate and bouncing a ball off them. i'm very impressed at how lively are they. i'll have this table together soon and will be able to do some real-play tests. it's possible that there is no need to pay a lot of money for cushions. time will tell...

thanks!

Old
  (#2)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

02-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateMate View Post
i never used rubber feather strips but it seems like a reasonable upgrade from wood.
If rubber featherstrips are an 'Upgrade' from wood, you have identified another antiquated technology that I give preference to.

In my opinion, rubber featherstrips are not user friendly, and they make it difficult to maintain a clean line at the top. If you stretch them too much, they won't stay tight. If you cut them too short, you can't compress them enough to stay tight.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#3)
SlateMate
Banned
SlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond repute

02-05-2019, 10:48 AM

ok, that's what i needed to know. i'll order some wood strips asap.

thanks!

update: i ordered from PoolDawg because they had the lowest price i could find and shipping was only $4.33. i wish i had saved the stripping from the tables i threw away.... ebay wants around, $25.00... https://www.pooldawg.com/wood-feathe...pping-set-of-6

Last edited by SlateMate; 02-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Old
  (#4)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Are the feather strips on all tables the same???

Old
  (#5)
bradsh98
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
Are the feather strips on all tables the same???
Nope.

1/4" x 1/4", and 1/4" x 5/16" are the most common.. But, there are some oddballs out there. Even with standard dimensions, many tables still require custom fitting of the featherstrips, by means of sanding or shimming.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#6)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Nope.

1/4" x 1/4", and 1/4" x 5/16" are the most common.. But, there are some oddballs out there. Even with standard dimensions, many tables still require custom fitting of the featherstrips, by means of sanding or shimming.
Run a card along one side of the featherstrip. Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip (EDIT) keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

(EDIT) after you tape the sides,

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Last edited by Ralph Kramden; 02-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Old
  (#7)
bradsh98

02-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden View Post
Run a card along one side of the featherstrip. Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip, keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.

Sometimes, I spray some 3M 77 on the featherstrips, to ensure that the cloth never pulls out. I have a friend who uses Elmer's glue sticks, for the same purpose.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#8)
SlateMate
Banned

02-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.

Sometimes, I spray some 3M 77 on the featherstrips, to ensure that the cloth never pulls out. I have a friend who uses Elmer's glue sticks, for the same purpose.
these are good tips. still waiting on my strips. so i'm working on my old motorcycles but it's going to put me in an early grave. too many projects....

Old
  (#9)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden View Post
shimming. Tape across the bottom and up both sides of the strip (EDIT) keeps it from moving when installing the cloth. FWIW

(EDIT) after you tape the sides,

( Quote: "I only tape the sides of featherstrips, never the top or bottom. Having additional thickness
on the height can sometimes prevent you from getting the featherstrip/cloth flush with the rail cap.")
-----------

I wouldn't think most folks would wrap the masking tape around an entire featherstrip.
Edited: after you tape the sides... The thickness of masking tape is .008, or 2 hairs.

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Last edited by Ralph Kramden; 02-10-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Old
  (#10)
SlateMate
Banned

02-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Masking tape on the sides of the featherstrip where it's wide will work for
shimming.
i'm watching a video where the guy just puts some staples in the strip to widen it slightly for a snug fit. i thought that was a cool idea.

Old
  (#11)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

02-10-2019, 10:45 PM

I measure the featherstrip dado with a micrometer, then run my blanks through my thickness planer and make them to the exact size needed.

Old
  (#12)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
I measure the featherstrip dado with a micrometer, then run my blanks through my thickness planer and make them to the exact size needed.

Glen

How much play do you leave for the cloth between the strip and the dado ?

Thanks

Martin

Old
  (#13)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

02-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin35 View Post
Glen

How much play do you leave for the cloth between the strip and the dado ?

Thanks

Martin
For Simonis, 1/32" less than the width of the dado.

Old
  (#14)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
For Simonis, 1/32" less than the width of the dado.
Thanks Glen

Is Iím wrong saying that you leave roughly 1 thickness of cloth of clearance ? Iím asking because Iím not sure yet which cloth I will use on my project.

Martin

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: