Important News

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Naw, one of us knows the scene around here and it isn't you.

If you have a good pool scene in your area, as I said, you should consider yourself lucky and stop complaining. You actually have a tournament director out there still trying to make it happen for the players, without making himself miserable in the process, so he makes a rule or two.

As I said, there are a LOT of areas of the country that don't have it as good as you, and a lot of players who give their best piece of Kamui chalk to have what you are complaining about.

And people say the population is getting more and more self-entitled... Pshaw...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a good pool scene in your area, as I said, you should consider yourself lucky and stop complaining. You actually have a tournament director out there still trying to make it happen for the players, without making himself miserable in the process, so he makes a rule or two.

As I said, there are a LOT of areas of the country that don't have it as good as you, and a lot of players who give their best piece of Kamui chalk to have what you are complaining about.

And people say the population is getting more and more self-entitled... Pshaw...
Not sure why you need to pass judgement. I acknowledged it is easier to point out flaws than run events.

And your entitlement comment is out of place, too. I also made it clear that i believe the rule is bad for all...area for improvement, for both.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see is as a misnomer at all.

I would think the hosts would seek to include folks, not add restrictions.

Events in the area used to draw hundred+, regularly...now, often less than 50.
they never have been known for their hospitality

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Not sure why you need to pass judgement. I acknowledged it is easier to point out flaws than run events.

And your entitlement comment is out of place, too. I also made it clear that i believe the rule is bad for all...area for improvement, for both.

But it's NOT bad for all. The tournament starts on time, it ends sometime before 2AM in the morning. In my experience, tourneys running too long is a critical factor in falling attendance rates. Most of the players are older and holding down jobs. And those types ain't up for playing 2-3 hours longer because the tournament director lets his buddies sign up late.

I am coming from a pool youth where the Seattle/Tacoma area where I played no less than 8 weekly tournaments, with a lot of evenings having multiple tourneys to choose from. We also had a minimum of 2 big events per month to play in.

The same area now only has ONE real player's hall to cover the entire area of North of Seattle down to south of Tacoma. And that pool hall has MAYBE one tourney per week, and holds a bigger event maybe twice a year.

I really do see the original post as self-entitled whining. You are gonna complain, and eventually the one guying trying to hold tournaments is gonna say "fuggit" and that will be one less event for your area.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black balled:

If “breaking of the first rack” occurs in unison at 12:00 PM to the second like in Atlantic City with Vincent and Eddie, then what time should the cutoff be for a player to be at the venue with stick in hand?

Consider all of the duties the tournament staff has to accomplish. And consider which of those they might depend on a player being there. Mike Page gave some good examples.

So what’s your timeline look like? Every detail. Go! :)

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black balled:

If “breaking of the first rack” occurs in unison at 12:00 PM to the second like in Atlantic City with Vincent and Eddie, then what time should the cutoff be for a player to be at the venue with stick in hand?

Consider all of the duties the tournament staff has to accomplish. And consider which of those they might depend on a player being there. Mike Page gave some good examples.

So what’s your timeline look like? Every detail. Go! :)

My timeline Is wake up at 4:30 hit the gym , go riding mountain bikes at 7:30 , lunch at 11:00 then fishing the rest of the day ! If someone wants action I'll come play sum 200$ sets everyday at 6:00 till closing time win or lose I'll do that everyday . I have 200 thousand to last me till June then back to work for 6 months .... I'm your huckleberry but not leaving Florida so tell your floridian buddies let's get it on !!! And I'm 49 years old so no way can I do all that in one day everyday and still play pool at night right ???? Im up for a challenge who else is ..... yall have a wonderful day

Last edited:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11 am seems like a very reasonable cutoff for a tournament that is supposed to begin at noon.

Tell Keith thanks for all the lessons in 1992 at CJs place ,,,,, I learned so much from him and he is my hero !!!!! I'm holding down the fort for us old schoolers ...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My tomel Is wake up at 4:30 hit the gym , go riding mountain bikes at 7:30 , lunch at 11:00 then fishing the rest of the day ! If someone wants action I'll come play sum 200$ sets everyday at 6:00 till closing time win or lose I'll do that everyday . I have 200 thousand to last me till June then back to work for 6 months .... I'm your huckleberry but not leaving Florida so tell your floridian buddies let's get it on !!! And I'm 49 years old so no way can I do all that in one day everyday and still play pool at night right ???? Im up for a challenge who else is ..... yall have a wonderful day

I’ve done some serious research.....I have found zero reports of Gypsy Soul taking any
prisoners......:eek:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t see the problem initially, but I reread it and I see your point. You have to be there at 11:00, but the tournament doesn’t start until noon?! I hate it. I wish the standby crowd would get your spot if you’re one minute late to your first match. That seems fair enough.

Breaking News to all pool players get your ass up and take care of business , follow rules and stop crying.... Be the best pool player you can and make them all pay ! When a pool room opens you need to be hitting balls from open till close ! that's what pool players do .

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Breaking News to all pool players get your ass up and take care of business , follow rules and stop crying.... Be the best pool player you can and make them all pay ! When a pool room opens you need to be hitting balls from open till close ! that's what pool players do .

Give us a report on the new Key West room when you get there.
Jason

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it's NOT bad for all. The tournament starts on time, it ends sometime before 2AM in the morning. In my experience, tourneys running too long is a critical factor in falling attendance rates. Most of the players are older and holding down jobs. And those types ain't up for playing 2-3 hours longer because the tournament director lets his buddies sign up late.

I am coming from a pool youth where the Seattle/Tacoma area where I played no less than 8 weekly tournaments, with a lot of evenings having multiple tourneys to choose from. We also had a minimum of 2 big events per month to play in.

The same area now only has ONE real player's hall to cover the entire area of North of Seattle down to south of Tacoma. And that pool hall has MAYBE one tourney per week, and holds a bigger event maybe twice a year.

I really do see the original post as self-entitled whining. You are gonna complain, and eventually the one guying trying to hold tournaments is gonna say "fuggit" and that will be one less event for your area.
Well coming from Seattle you surly can recognize the self whining part and for a place that wont even put salt on the road because they think it effects global warming its no surprise pool hall's have closed down for coffee shops , That tourney isn't going anywhere its part of the dictatorship

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12:00 pm: Play Begins
* NOTE: At 11:00 am, we will conduct a role call. If a registered player is not present at that time, his/her spot will be offered to the next person on the waiting list. We highly recommend that you arrive Friday night to avoid traffic and other delays. There will be no exceptions so please, arrive early. There is no need to call the Tournament Director or the venue to say you will be late. If you are late, you may lose your spot without refund - no exceptions, no favors.

Wtf? Who is the customer here?
Why 1 hour before the draw? I can understand the reason for the policy for non paid entrants, but it seems to me like if the player has paid his entry fee in full, their spot should be held up until the tournament starts, and if their match is called and they don't show within 5 minutes, they forfeit that match. Are they trying to get 2 entry fees for one spot if a paid entrant fails to show up by 11, so they'll have enough time to collect another entry fee for the same spot? The players who are cutting it close should be responsible enough to call the poolroom to let them know exactly when they'll be there without the requirement to be there 1 hour ahead of time, at least for paid entrants. I'm guessing the reason for the memo is likely a history of past problems in this particular poolroom, with players showing up late and holding up the start of the tournaments.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Why 1 hour before the draw? I can understand the policy for non paid entrants, but it seems to me like if the player has paid his entry fee in full, their spot should be held up until the tournament starts, and if their match is called and they don't show within 5 minutes, they forfeit that match. Are they trying to get 2 entry fees for one spot if a paid entrant fails to show up so they'll have enough time to collect another entry fee for the same spot?

I concur......a tourney like this I just might pass on.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Why 1 hour before the draw? I can understand the reason for the policy for non paid entrants, but it seems to me like if the player has paid his entry fee in full, their spot should be held up until the tournament starts, and if their match is called and they don't show within 5 minutes, they forfeit that match. Are they trying to get 2 entry fees for one spot if a paid entrant fails to show up by 11, so they'll have enough time to collect another entry fee for the same spot? The players who are cutting it close should be responsible enough to call the poolroom to let them know exactly when they'll be there without the requirement to be there 1 hour ahead of time, at least for paid entrants.

Ok, I can agree with this.
Jason

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I’m always early, I like to play! But what’s wrong with 15 minutes? Especially now that tournaments can be run from a laptop. The draw and table assignments should take 5 mins.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Get some homeless guy to yell "Present" when your name is called. Might do it for a bottle of Thunderbird.

But can a homeless guy pass for you, or vise versa?

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m always early, I like to play! But what’s wrong with 15 minutes? Especially now that tournaments can be run from a laptop. The draw and table assignments should take 5 mins.

Yeah that's weird but not really. It sure sounds like they are trying to get one for two..... two paid for one spot ! It happened a lot back in the day when tournaments first started but we got smart ..... lol ..... Also yes sir I'll PM ya everything that happens in next month ! Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are formats that don't require all the players to be present for the start of the tournament. Maybe that would be a better solution.