..picks up reverse spin?

sikorsky

this terms' demonstrated by a cross side bank (two or three rails).
the object ball is an inch from the long rail. CB hits it firm on the right side at 5-10 degrees. The OB has right spin.. how does does it 'pick up left spin witnessed at the opposite rail'?

so far I got these replys:
- it gets the reverse spin in the air
- ..from the angle
- ..from the speed

but how?

Guess I'll have to go to a physics teacher and get an explanation of a super ball..:)

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the object ball is an inch from the long rail. CB hits it firm on the right side at 5-10 degrees. The OB has right spin.. how does does it 'pick up left spin witnessed at the opposite rail'?

- ..from the angle
- ..from the speed

but how?

Guess I'll have to go to a physics teacher and get an explanation of a super ball..:)

https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal-video/nv-b-22/

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It’s a series of spin events:

1. The CB colliding with the OB puts some “holdup” spin on the OB, which shortens the angle off the first rail.
2. The OB colliding with the first rail at an angle reverses the spin that was put on by the CB (just like any ball picks up “running” spin when it hits the rail).
3. The reversed spin throws the OB toward the side pocket off the second rail.

pj
chgo

D29738E2-60C0-4783-A97D-5B4E43137761.jpeg

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It gets running english/spin naturally from the first rail. Running spin IS reverse spin when it hits the opposite parallel rail. Just do the circly thing with your fingers and you'll get it.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a series of spin events:

1. The CB colliding with the OB puts some “holdup” spin on the OB, which shortens the angle off the first rail.
2. The OB colliding with the first rail at an angle reverses the spin that was put on by the CB (just like any ball picks up “running” spin when it hits the rail).
3. The reversed spin throws the OB toward the side pocket off the second rail.

pj
chgo

View attachment 523179
This is one of my favorite demo shots that I show a group of high school senior AP physics students that come here every year. Even the teacher has a hard time making sense of this shot! Another good one is showing how much the lead ball of two frozen balls can be thrown when hit on the correct side of the first ball, but it doesn't work at all if 3 or more balls are frozen in the same straight line.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

- ..from the angle
- ..from the speed

but how?

FYI, this topic is covered in detail here:

two-times-across and three-times-across bank shots

Regards,
Dave

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be much easier to understand if clockwise and counterclockwise was used to describe ball rotation.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It would be much easier to understand if clockwise and counterclockwise was used to describe ball rotation.
I agree. I can't redo the video, but "right" is the same as "CCW" and "left" is the same as "CW."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
not really, if you are standing at the head rail and hit towards the foot rail with "clockwise" to the left long rail then it is running english but if you hit "clockwise" to the right long rail it is hold up english

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really, if you are standing at the head rail and hit towards the foot rail with "clockwise" to the left long rail then it is running english but if you hit "clockwise" to the right long rail it is hold up english

I think your clocks run the opposite of mine.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yet in both cases you know which direction "clockwise" means...

pj
chgo