Avoiding The Rake

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue extensions, both in the middle and added to the end of the cue,
telescopic extensions.. stretching out too far on a shot..
seems like players will do anything to avoid using the bridge stick...

I have the 'bat wing' bridge head in my case, never hesitate to
use it.. works a little better than the stock pool hall bridges...

Judges?... ready.... begin:cool:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have no reservations about using the crutch, even if razzed about it. My home table has 3 different versions hanging on the rack.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no trouble using the bridge as long as the shot is a slo to medium roller. If I need good draw or follow I'd rather use my extension. Mitch

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate bridges, especially now since my right shoulder doesn’t elevate any longer.
Instead, I play left handed & have for more than 30 yrs or a Tony Ryan cue extender.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Hey Run - That's exactly why I taught myself to play opposite hand when I was 17. I wouldn't use a bridge at GUNPOINT! :eek:

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I also have the bat bridge in my case and I LOVE it! My shot accuracy using the bat bridge has increased about 30% over a regular house bridge.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Run - That's exactly why I taught myself to play opposite hand when I was 17. I wouldn't use a bridge at GUNPOINT! :eek:

Noice!! I can shoot opposite hand on certain shots.. wish I could shoot
opposite hand like Keith !

Aaron, yeah the bat bridge is the nuts, there's more cue positions on it :thumbup:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
rake

Reminds me of a funny story I heard from a buddy of mine that played pretty sporty back in the 90s. He once played a money match with a guy that HATED the bridge. This guy went above and beyond to avoid it, and when he did use it he had poor results.

Anyway, they're playing a race to 9 for $500 and the set goes hill-hill. The rake-hater runs the balls up to the 9 ball but gets where he can't reach it. It's not a hard shot, just out of reach (9 ball on end rail around the first diamond off the rail an inch or two, cue ball on the spot).

It's a shot that most serious players would consider pretty easy, but this guy was just staring at it with disgust. He was stretching to see if he could reach it, then he just stopped and stared at it as if he wasn't sure what he was going to do. My buddy looked at him and said "You want to start this set over?" The guy looked at the shot one last time and then said "Sure, call it!"

My buddy said it was the most incredible thing he's ever seen in pool. :)

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Noice!! I can shoot opposite hand on certain shots.. wish I could shoot
opposite hand like Keith !

Aaron, yeah the bat bridge is the nuts, there's more cue positions on it :thumbup:

So practice it, Run. I used to play all day at least once a week opposite hand. When I was playing all the time, I would string racks ( righty breaks, tho ) left handed. It feels GOOD, too! :grin:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found it very easy to remove the bumpers from both of my break cues and replace them with the bumpers that come in a set with a butt end extension - slight modification required and so you can keep the extension in your case with your jump cue handle

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I still see professionals using a bridge all the time. Of course not as often as the pre-extension days.

Why would a pro player ever use a bridge? ;)

Maniac (uses one regularly)

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue extension or ‘opposite hand’ often time no help when jacked up over the pack, shooting CB frozen to it. I often stack 2 rakes on their long axis to play those shots successfully. Too bad the shorter players are likely at a disadvantage when playing a shot like that, since you probably need to be up high in order to really see what you are doing (in order to avoid fouling the frozen OB).
A lifetime of relying on the crutch has made facility with it ‘second nature’ for me. The early historical champions who competed on 10’ tables couldn’t have managed without it. I sometimes prefer it even for simple shots that likely could have been accomplished otherwise, since it is easy to see that your stroke is perfectly straight, and the longer view of CB tip contact point seems more focused, then you can apply more concentration on your speed control.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seems like players will do anything to avoid using the bridge stick

??????????

The bridge and the extension are both there to make an unreachable shot reachable. What do you suggest? Using neither of them and having to play with a, say, 57 inch cue for every shot?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other night, I was blocked about 1/4 inch, in a shot of about 18 inches on a Snooker Table, playing Golf. So I grabbed the Bridge & put a Jump-Masse on them... wow , you should heard them holler... The bridge is an easy tool to use. Get used to it....you`'ll be glad you did. It is your longer Left Hand....

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen failure to use the bridge cost some players big tournaments. I think it's just laziness developed when practicing. Too lazy to grab the bridge when practicing and therefore don't have confidence in it.

Old timers like Crane were excellent with the bridge because they started playing on 10 foot tables and had to use it.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??????????

The bridge and the extension are both there to make an unreachable shot reachable. What do you suggest? Using neither of them and having to play with a, say, 57 inch cue for every shot?

I'm suggesting USING the bridge.. my point is a lot of players avoid it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Im 6' 1" and have used a bridge on 7' tables many times. Im not too proud to pick up the "sissy stick". I do get a lot of practice with them on my 9' table at home.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Rarely if ever use it. Rather play off-hand.

Not a macho thing. Not a pride thing.

Just too damn old to bend w a y down there to grab that sucker.