Got my dream case and it's a bit blah

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always wanted to get one of those tube leather cases with the plastic seal lid.

Got a 1x2 It's George case for free from a pool hall I play in, from their left behind pile. Was sitting there long enough that the owner felt it was never going to get claimed.

Issue is that with two shafts it's really hard to fit the cue in the case, it seems like they are held up in mid air by the pressure of the shafts and butt. I find the only way to get them even is to slide them all in at the same time till they get stuck. If I put in the butt and one shaft, then try to fit the 3rd shaft in, it won't go down, it sticks up at least an inch over the other shaft.

Is that normal for those cases?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I have always wanted to get one of those tube leather cases with the plastic seal lid.

Got a 1x2 It's George case for free from a pool hall I play in, from their left behind pile. Was sitting there long enough that the owner felt it was never going to get claimed.

Issue is that with two shafts it's really hard to fit the cue in the case, it seems like they are held up in mid air by the pressure of the shafts and butt. I find the only way to get them even is to slide them all in at the same time till they get stuck. If I put in the butt and one shaft, then try to fit the 3rd shaft in, it won't go down, it sticks up at least an inch over the other shaft.

No, its not "normal" They should all slide in snugly but easily, either tips/pin up or down.

Check *these* out:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=489542

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an excellent case.

The lining could be damaged. Or their could be something stuffed down in there, like a rag.

I have found both. I had one George case where the lining was all twisted up. Don't know how it got that way but I fixed it.

I found another with a rag stuffed down in there. I don't know why.

Also possible you are loading the fat end of the cue with the fat ends of the shafts...I guess...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's an excellent case.

The lining could be damaged. Or their could be something stuffed down in there, like a rag.

I have found both. I had one George case where the lining was all twisted up. Don't know how it got that way but I fixed it.

Also possible you are loading the fat end of the cue with the fat ends of the shafts...I guess...

John Barton says ....get a flashlight and examine the interior.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Barton says ....get a flashlight and examine the interior.

A bore scope works great if the problem is farther down.

I found a Fellini tag at the bottom of a case with one.

USB scopes are cheap now. Check ebay.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You got a free case and came on to knock it? If you read the It's George instructions, it tells you how to load the case.

If your cue is chunky, it's harder to load.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Got a smokin' deal on a leather case with the same type of problem.

Pulled the tubes and reset the liner, it was twisted.

Quick and simple.

Hope your issue is an easy fix as well.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got a free case and came on to knock it? If you read the It's George instructions, it tells you how to load the case.

If your cue is chunky, it's harder to load.

Nope, not large at all, it's a Ned Morris, his handles are not wide at all.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an excellent case.

It does not get blocked from doping down low, with two shafts it is just stuck at the top against each other. I put them in butt down, and tips down to form a triangle fit. Other way I can't even get the second shaft in at all.

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, not large at all, it's a Ned Morris, his handles are not wide at all.

Definitely something with your case. I have an old It's George 1x2 and never had a problem using it with my Ned Morris or any of a number of other cues (tips and buttcap down).

Only thing I'd note beyond that is that it does matter the order in which you insert/remove them - butt should be loaded before 2nd shaft is loaded, and not removed until one of the shafts is removed first.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does not get blocked from doping down low, with two shafts it is just stuck at the top against each other. I put them in butt down, and tips down to form a triangle fit. Other way I can't even get the second shaft in at all.

Agreed.. butt down first, one shaft at a time tips down.. so you're looking at
the joints on all three. A free IG 1x2?.. consider yourself lucky:D

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your idea of a dream case is different than mine. Lol. There must be a fix of some sort. I just got a new case from Steve Price. He has his shop set up again, I'm sure he can fix it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your idea of a dream case is different than mine. Lol. There must be a fix of some sort. I just got a new case from Steve Price. He has his shop set up again, I'm sure he can fix it.

No real fix, the tubes are too small to comfortably fit a butt and 2 shafts.

If you have ever owned/seen an Its George 2x4, that size tube for that number of parts too.

I know a lot of people like to try and carry the case at full capacity, but I always just used the 1x2 as a 1x1 and the 2x4 as a 2x2.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No real fix, the tubes are too small to comfortably fit a butt and 2 shafts.

If you have ever owned/seen an Its George 2x4, that size tube for that number of parts too.

I know a lot of people like to try and carry the case at full capacity, but I always just used the 1x2 as a 1x1 and the 2x4 as a 2x2.

I had a George 1x2 back in college and it was fine. Loved that case. But nowhere to hold my cigars.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed.. butt down first, one shaft at a time tips down.. so you're looking at
the joints on all three. A free IG 1x2?.. consider yourself lucky:D

Yep, I am happy I have it, and use it the way it is, it just seemed odd that a 1x2 was that tight with two shafts for such a well regarded case.

I have a JB case that I love, but ever since I started playing pool wanted to get a leather tube case. Just something with how the top came off with that "shhwunk" sound and extracting the cue out of it, was all business high level player that came to kick ass type image.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I am happy I have it, and use it the way it is, it just seemed odd that a 1x2 was that tight with two shafts for such a well regarded case.

I have a JB case that I love, but ever since I started playing pool wanted to get a leather tube case. Just something with how the top came off with that "shhwunk" sound and extracting the cue out of it, was all business high level player that came to kick ass type image.
You didn't buy a used or new case, you got an abandoned case, you can't really comment on it's george cases, having never bought one, and the only one you have coming from the lost and found, and was clearly abandoned.

If I found a jb case on the side of the road, I certainly wouldn't make disparaging comments about the case, or assume it reflects JB's work in anyway.

The cases are well regarded by people who buy them, you got an obviously abandoned case, unless the previous guy walked in with a pool cue in a case, then forgot he brought a case, which is doubtful.

I found a southwest cue at the dump, its a piece of junk, surprised SW is thought of so highly.... Rolls eyes.

Last edited: