Custom Pool Table Light

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been wanting to build a custom light to match my circa 1958 AMF 9' Pool Table. The table is a pretty simple design similar to a Brunswick Anniversary or Sport King with Aluminum Corner Castings and 8" laminated table skirts. Here's a pic:

I'm having the corner castings rolled from 1/2" aluminum plate to mimic the castings on the table. I'm using 3/4" plywood for the top, 3/4" lumber for the sides; stained to match the woodgrain laminate on the table skirts. I'll be using two 8' florescent 4 bulb fixtures for illumination covered by metallic plated plastic egg crate diffusers. Materials cost will be roughy $420. Below are the drawings.

I'll update this thread with pics as I have them. It may be a couple weeks as I am not starting construction until I have the corner castings. The machine shop I am using was a little backed up.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Game Counters

These miniature pool balls will be mounted on top of the new fixture between 1" round dowels on both ends and the mini cue ball on top of a 1" round dowel in the middle as the divider.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've finally started construction on my custom table light. The rounded corner pieces were rolled out of 1/2 aluminum plate. The outside dimensions are 98.5" x 29.5". Next up will be the plywood top and the bottom frame for the light diffusers. I think it will match the table nicely.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow your a dick lol JK... that is absolutely fantastic, I am gonna build a light for my table as well but no where near as original as yours. Great craftsmanship also, I am very jealous and am inspired to go back to the drawing board on mine and be more creative. Thanks for the inspiration I look forward to seeing the progress of your light.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

I have a light ballast if your interested, I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it.

Rob.M

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good, keep the pictures updated.

Wow your a dick lol JK... that is absolutely fantastic, I am gonna build a light for my table as well but no where near as original as yours. Great craftsmanship also, I am very jealous and am inspired to go back to the drawing board on mine and be more creative. Thanks for the inspiration I look forward to seeing the progress of your light.

Thanks guys! I should have more progress pics later today.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Looks very good so far. Thats a real nice touch with the aluminum corners, especially because of the thickness of the aluminum adding to the structure. I think a production light would have been aluminum wraped wood corners that would not have looked nearly as nice as yours.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
as soon as I saw the plans I liked them a lot, and now the pictures clearly show that you've got some woodworking background ;)
Thanks for sharing your project, such threads are golden for other DIYers.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as soon as I saw the plans I liked them a lot, and now the pictures clearly show that you've got some woodworking background ;)
Thanks for sharing your project, such threads are golden for other DIYers.

Thanks! i can't take all the credit, thought. I did design it from the ground up, but my father in law has 40+ years of woodworking experience. His knowledge on the best steps for construction have been invaluable. Not to mention his woodworking shop, which is equipped with all the must have machinery for making high end furniture.

I should also have more pics today. We should finish the inner frame for the light diffusers and if we have enough time, the plywood top.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We got the diffuser frame built and glued today. Once the glue cures, we'll run it through the sander to even it all out. We'll then apply the cleats which will mount it to the outer frame (box). It's coming along! Next up will be the plywood top this weekend. Once that's done, it will be disassembled, final sanded and finished.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lookin good! i have yet to start on my own light. what kind of wood are you using?

Thanks! I'm using 3/4" maple for the box and diffuser frame; 3/4" plywood for the top. The box and frame will be stained to match the laminate on the table skirts.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you gonna rabbet the top to flush mount the ply?

No need to rabbit as the corner castings have bosses approximately 3/4" from the top for the ply to rest. The sides will be mounted via cleats for a tight fit.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks absolutely great, what stain are you going to use?

Thanks! I'm going with Minwax Classic Gray...

...to match the laminate on my table skirts:

I'll probably have to play around with the tinting to get it just right. We tested it and it was a tad too light so I'll add a little ebony stain to darken it up.

Last edited: