Sam's Hollywood Billiards - Portland, OR

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While on travel for work this week, I was searching for a local pool hall to kill some time before a dinner meeting. I settled on Sam's Hollywood Billiards which proved to be a good choice. When I walked up to the front door and read the plaque that stated they'd been there sine 1962, I knew I was in for a treat. This is a very, very nice room with great equipment (I counted 14 Gold Crown I's and 2 Diamond Bar Boxes), a nice vibe and friendly staff. If you're ever in Portland, I recommend stopping in. If you live in Portland, I'm jealous we don't have a room like this in LA.

41844038302_7065aabe8b_b.jpg

Downstairs:
40988088855_1482254eed_b.jpg

Upstairs:
41887031531_624b3c407f_b.jpg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Always fun to read good reviews...

If you get a bit more south to Salem, check out The Cue Ball.

TAP

"Banks are Always Open!"
Silver Member
Yes! AND, Don't Miss Kolby's in Keizer (just accross the street from Salem. This is one great room, has a full service bar and restaurant! Diamond Bar boxes and a 9 foot diamond Pro. LOT's of competition, great service, and great people. Had to leave Keizer and come back to Calif. What a letdown!!!!
TAP

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That's it, I'm moving to Portland.

Lots of fun stuff up there...homeless tents cluttering the sidewalks, frequent ANTIFA "demonstrations", crazy traffic jams, all the fun stuff. But...a damned fine pool hall, Hey, is "classics" still around on the East side?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Lots of fun stuff up there...homeless tents cluttering the sidewalks, frequent ANTIFA "demonstrations", crazy traffic jams, all the fun stuff. But...a damned fine pool hall, Hey, is "classics" still around on the East side?

That's it, I'm moving back to Denver.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I did a google search and noted that I would try Sam's when back in Portland for business. Now I definitely will.

Tribalco

Registered
Yes, Classic is still there, moved here from Phoenix in December 2016, found Classic in April of 17. They have around 7 GC3’s on the adult side another 6 or so on the all ages side. Two Diamond seven footers, a 6x12 and a 3C table. Not much action, even the golf game is just for fun.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any one pocket players in the portland area? What is the game of choice on big tables if not one pocket? I have been to Kolbys and enjoyed the place but I dont mind travelling for some big table action/tournaments.
Pool should be very popular in PNW with all the rain days.
Thanks for the sam's pics. Looks good.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any one pocket players in the portland area? What is the game of choice on big tables if not one pocket? I have been to Kolbys and enjoyed the place but I dont mind travelling for some big table action/tournaments.
Pool should be very popular in PNW with all the rain days.
Thanks for the sam's pics. Looks good.

I witnessed at least 3 tables playing 1P the short time I was at Sam's.

Heyalex40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always fun to read good reviews...

If you get a bit more south to Salem, check out The Cue Ball.

I went to The Cue Ball last week for the first time in 20 years. It looks exactly the same. Obviously the tables are the main attraction. Row after row of old Brunswick Centennials and Anniversaries and that’s about it. Not much else going for it he place. It’s easy for me to spend someone else’s money but if someone strategically put $200,000 into that place, It would be one of the coolest poolrooms in the country.

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member

Not to mention, liberals out the wazoo, streets being made narrower so the bicycle people can have a path and then just ride in the street anyway, high cost of living, higher and higher property taxes. But look on the bright side, its not California, yet.