Red Circle Ball vs.Measle Ball

LOU

Registered
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Every body has a story aout the measle ball,that its heavier made from a different composite material,and the ball is larger.I have played with both and see no difference but I play with people wine and cry about it every time I get it out.Can anyone tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth,about the measle ball. Thanks Lou:confused:

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.2%
110   2   0
the weight is the same or within a couple of grams,however there is more weight toward the outside of the ball.i fell like it rolls out a little more,but they are pretty similar.

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what this has to do with wanted/for sale items, but the measle/red circle are constructed of the same material. A lot of ph use the cheaper plastic balls that are slightly smaller(1/16-1/8"). I do feel both cue balls will roll as opposed to slide which happens to me alot with the little balls.

dave sutton

Banned
Rating - 92.7%
51   4   0
masonh said:
the weight is the same or within a couple of grams,however there is more weight toward the outside of the ball.i fell like it rolls out a little more,but they are pretty similar.

i work on tables cues everything. ppl always mistake roll out with the way the ball rolls when english is applied. naturally the slower a ball is spinning the more the english will take. ppl talk about table roll and roll out when most of the time its enslish taking more bc the ball is moving slower. this makes me crazy. both balls play the same. weight is the same. nothing that can me felt ive put them on a scale. small difference if any

Last edited:

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.2%
110   2   0
the ball is perimeter weighted.that means more weight is on the outside of the ball.imo it seems to roll out on follow shots.maybe since you are a professional my opinion is wrong.but i do know there is more weight on the outside of the ball than a red circle.if it was the exact same and played the exact same i doubt they would make the change to that ball considering the cost is 3-4 times higher.sorry to make you go crazy." nothing that can me felt ive put them on a scale."not quite sure what you mean with this statement though.

eeng168

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm glad I'm not going crazy since there is a discussion on this.

I find that the measle ball rolls A LOT more than the the regular red circle ball.

I also find that the measle ball seems to weigh a little heavier, though I should weigh them both...(too lazy)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Measle rolls forward more and is harder to draw.
I don't care if someone showed me they weighed the same, same size , same material, same nationality......

A/VHomeStereo

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physics, weight is a measurement of gravities affect on an object vertically. What you are experiencing is the affect off torque and what we call in wheel technology moment of inertia. If the weight is located on the outside it takes more energy to get the ball moving, this relates to more energy stored in the ball. It goes back to the 6 ft 2x4 hold it at the center and swing it. Now cut it in half stack it and swing it at the center. When the weight is more centralized it easier to accelerate and decelerate. All balls are not created equal. LOL Just my $.02

Utah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If the weight is really farther to the outside..? The inertia (as stated above) would cause easier/more draw and follow (i.e. rollout). May not be what anyone is used to but it will be MORE.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Perhaps if someone is familiar with the manufacturing process we could have a more informed discussion. It would seem interesting to me to see how they would construct the ball with a different density on the outside, and get it so perfect that it rolled straight. Perhaps surface finishing may play a part, anyone know how these are made? I also know they play different.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
How about this.

I just think the Red Pokdot ball is a total riot to play with. It goes dead striaght. You can spin the ball easily at good speed and it took no getting used to!
Hated it! Too easy to play with.
Nick :)

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Heres an idea.

If some one could cut both balls in half and take some pics to see the difference in construction. That would be interesting.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Their are no major differences in construction. The spotted ball weighs 2 grams more on my scale than the red circle. I notice no real differeneces playing with them on my table (Diamond Pro). I think the spots make peoples heads spin.

scenario

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am allmost sorry you mentioned this, here goes. For the past 100 years cue balls have been made out of different materals. And for the past hundred years they have been made in different countrys with different makers. And today is no different as technology advances somebody (corperations, scientists,any one trying to make a buck) is always experencing with different looks and adding thier own spin with other materals, weights or whaterer else they might like to try to come up with the perfect cue ball or whatever. What everybody has failed to mention is like everything else we have at least 3 different measel balls out there and some are 6 oz some 6.5 oz with some differences like blue circle and red circle and super arometh and belgem. So it is more complicated than just one ball or another. I can discuss this for hours as I have for the past 5 years as I have been expermenting with all different cue balls but enough said here. Different makers of cue balls usually produce a little different result.