Best choice to make a shaft for a Palmer cue

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with my old model J, one shaft is fine, the other has a bad roll, both are 12.5 mm. I recently picked up a nice used Jeff Olney for a backup and I'm really liking the 13 mm, so I'm considering getting a new shaft for the Palmer. Any suggestions who to go to? I'm sure alot of the big name builders don't want/need the work, lol.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Tascarella, period, the end.

I'm looking for a new shaft also and have talked to Pete a couple times in the last week or so.

I know he makes quality cues and shafts, but I'm interested in hearing why you think he is the the one.

What ferrule would you suggest, now that ivory is being frowned upon?

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidentally one of my Model Js came with two shafts that Pete Tascarella made.

Prior to acquiring that cue, Paul Drexler made shafts for my other Model J. In both cases the ring work is perfect.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about Palmer ques, so excuse me if I`m missing the mark, but wouldn`t who you choose to make the shaft for you, be dependent on you liking that cuemakers taper and shaft philosophy?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about Palmer ques, so excuse me if I`m missing the mark, but wouldn`t who you choose to make the shaft for you, be dependent on you liking that cuemakers taper and shaft philosophy?

I think that 90% of people who order cues online go by looks, price, and name. Playability is the least of their priorities.

It is said that 90%, or so, of the cue's playability is in the shaft, ferrule, and tip.

With that said, some people may have a butt that was made by one cue maker and prefer a shaft made by another.

I buy shafts based upon playability.

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidentally one of my Model Js came with two shafts that Pete Tascarella made.

Prior to acquiring that cue, Paul Drexler made shafts for my other Model J. In both cases the ring work is perfect.

I was hoping you'd see the post Jay. PM sent

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for a new shaft also and have talked to Pete a couple times in the last week or so.

I know he makes quality cues and shafts, but I'm interested in hearing why you think he is the the one.

What ferrule would you suggest, now that ivory is being frowned upon?

First, I have a very dear Frank Paradise. I have posted pictures in the gallery. When I got it the original shaft was warped. It was a 57" cue. I had Paul Runbino make 3 shafts , to make it 57", 57.5" and 58" in or around 1996. I did not knjow Pete until 2011.

I own 2 Tascarella's and they play great. I knew Pete had a stash of older components. My joint ring turned yellow on the shaft and did not match the ring on the butt. I contacted Pete, great shot, perfect match, quick turn around.

Pete is great to work with and makes a fabulous product. He will execute exactly what you want and do it flawlessly and on time.

As for a ferrule...hmm, I think that is a personal thing. I will also say I am simply not that astute...I would defer to what Pete recommended. I always go with the makers recomendation unless there is something specific I need...Like Dennis Searing did and special taper for me on a 30" shaft.

I understnd your ivory concerns in Hawaii.

Good luck
BR
Phil