Do You Use "Force Follow" in your games?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wondering how many of you use "high follow" or "forced follow" on some of your pool shots?

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try! A weak aspect of my game. I would think we all would have to use it. It’s a big part of the game, not like jumps, or masse.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not as common

Back in the day of the mud ball on bar tables follow was the way to go. The saying was draw for show, follow for dough. With oversized or heavy cue balls, the cue ball was the 800 pound gorilla on the table and huge draw was as unusual as huge follow is today. I suspect the cloth came into play too, it was pretty unusual to see huge draw even on the big tracks, nine and ten feet tables.

Follow and force follow should be in anyone's bag of tricks, times they are still the best shots and a person should shoot them often enough to be comfortable with them.

Hu

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Yes, all good players use force follow when needed.

These should be in everyones arsenal:
Force Follow
Power Draw
Stun
Run Stun

These all require a unique stroke, as opposed to simply applying english.

JMO, YMMV

-von

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, all good players use force follow when needed.

These should be in everyones arsenal:
Force Follow
Power Draw
Stun
Run Stun

These all require a unique stroke, as opposed to simply applying english.

JMO, YMMV

-von

Here is a video and I think the third way is the easiest to get shape on the 2 ball. Don't give me crap as I'm not a teacher. I use this shot all the time in my games.

https://youtu.be/KXc6UiOds2o

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Are these different ways to get more follow, or different names for the same thing?

pj
chgo

Same thing. I call it forced follow but someone just said it's high follow. CB tip action is the same.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering how many of you use "high follow" or "forced follow" on some of your pool shots?

I use it everytime I "need" it.

It's not hard to do. It's just another way to move (bend) the cueballs line of travel to get into position, play a carom....etc...etc...

Any average player should be able to do it on command....no matter if their "in stroke" or not...

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I use it everytime I "need" it.

It's not hard to do. It's just another way to move (bend) the cueballs line of travel to get into position, play a carom....etc...etc...

Any average player should be able to do it on command....no matter if their "in stroke" or not...

There it is in a nutshell.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a video and I think the third way is the easiest to get shape on the 2 ball. Don't give me crap as I'm not a teacher. I use this shot all the time in my games.

https://youtu.be/KXc6UiOds2o

I wouldn't call this force follow. It's just a normal follow shot, nothing unusual.
Some people (336Robin) on here think force follow is what most would describe as stun run through. I've always thought of force follow as when you're almost straight on a shot and have to go forwards 2 or 3 rails. Quite a bit different than the shot on the video.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Patrick, lots of things like that, huh? Hell you could call it George and Alice as long as you and your hands understand it together. Like "hit" and "feel" - it's when you try to teach/discuss it that the vernacular gets in the way.
I tend to "feel of" follow as one thing - which can include up to power follow (relating to power draw).
More about influencing the cue ball with the variables really - all about rotational energy generated.
Force follow I associate more with the action of hitting an object ball full, then a rail, most of the linear momentum is retarded but much less of the rotational momentum is effected - and the cue ball drives toward and/or into the rail multiple times. Can be useful sometimes.
But then again, I'm pretty f'd up:)

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure I do, but I don't think of it as something with a name of its own - just a follow shot hit hard and high.

pj
chgo

So, the "bending" of the CB has nothing to do with your decision?

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't call this force follow. It's just a normal follow shot, nothing unusual.
Some people (336Robin) on here think force follow is what most would describe as stun run through. I've always thought of force follow as when you're almost straight on a shot and have to go forwards 2 or 3 rails. Quite a bit different than the shot on the video.

Making the "bend" of the CB is what gives it the shape. The forward spin on the CB gives the bend. I call that force follow but that's me. Typical high English would not cause that. (in my game).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Making the "bend" of the CB is what gives it the shape. The forward spin on the CB gives the bend. I call that force follow but that's me. Typical high English would not cause that. (in my game).
What's the difference between that high English and typical high English? What do you do differently?

pj
chgo