The Jacksonville Experiment

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naturally being from Jax, I had to check this out. Great find/topic and thanx for sharing.

Carl

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
Bob , thanx for the time and effort that you put in compiling that data . Bet those tapes are a hit at parties !:smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob , thanx for the time and effort that you put in compiling that data . Bet those tapes are a hit at parties !:smile:
I think the participants would have to be more than averagely wasted to really get into the 3 hours of slo-mo video. Also this other DVD has raised the bar for high-speed pool videography.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I bought the VHS tape years ago and it is very interesting to watch the interaction of the cue tip and the cue ball.

Are they still available for sale?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought the VHS tape years ago and it is very interesting to watch the interaction of the cue tip and the cue ball.

Are they still available for sale?
Some time ago a customer made the VHS into a DVD, and the last several orders have been for that. I might be able to still find the DVD. At one time the whole thing was available through azbtv.com but I can't find it now.

Most of the revelations are visible in the Austrian video or in Dr. Dave's videos.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By coincidence in a fit of Spring cleaning I threw away the copies used for those scans yesterday. That item and a bunch of others are listed here.

Funny you should mention spring cleaning...while doing mine this year, after leaving stuff in storage so I could climb rocks for the past 15 years, I found my copy of The Shots of Artistic Billiards. 2nd edition, no less!

Wish I had a Jacksonville DVD....

Oh, and I think you should add the low-probability punchthrough paper to the collection at sfbilliards.

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How have I managed to miss this article for all of these years? Fascinating stuff!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I found my copy of The Shots of Artistic Billiards. 2nd edition, no less!

Wish I had a Jacksonville DVD....

Oh, and I think you should add the low-probability punchthrough paper to the collection at sfbilliards.
Those booklets fetch about $60 on Ebay if you're lucky.

By a semi-miracle, I have found the files for the DVD which amount to about 3GB (mostly as VOB files, whatever those are). I'll see if I can actually still make a legible DVD from them. Real Player seems to choke on the files I have, as does DivX, but Windows Media Player (ptui, ptui) seems to be OK. I've come to the conclusion that most video viewer programmers are forced into that sub-specialty because they can't deal with the complexities of database programming and Safeway (Piggly-Wiggly in some areas) doesn't need bag boys.

As for the punchthrough paper, that's pretty much useless now that people have given up making logic circuits from that particular kind of SQUID. Yes, boys and girls, in the last Millennium, people who thought they were clever made flip-flops from lead-based tunneling devices named after Captain Nemo's nemesis. Here is a wiring diagram:

20000_squid_Nautilus_door.jpg

It turned out there was something fishy with them. Now, in the Last Millennium, people are much smarter.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those booklets fetch about $60 on Ebay if you're lucky.

Fantastic! That's like 1000% or something (I'm not very good with math) over what I paid you in '87. No telling what it'll be worth in 23 more years. I'll keep it.

By a semi-miracle, I have found the files for the DVD which amount to about 3GB...

Where do I send the money?

As for the punchthrough paper, that's pretty much useless now that people have given up making logic circuits from that particular kind of SQUID.

Yeah for the poor, endangered SQUID!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Where do I send the money? ...
If anyone would like a copy of the DVD, which includes the articles and scans of the original notes, send $10 ($15 for foreign mail) to my paypal account: jewett (at) sfbilliards.com -- any extra proceeds will be used to preserve the endangered niobium squid.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If anyone would like a copy of the DVD, which includes the articles and scans of the original notes, send $10 ($15 for foreign mail) to my paypal account: jewett (at) sfbilliards.com -- any extra proceeds will be used to preserve the endangered niobium squid.
Bob,

Didn't you guys have some clips posted online (I think on AZB)? Are they still available? I couldn't find them the last time I looked.

BTW, thanks for posting the articles.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Didn't you guys have some clips posted online (I think on AZB)? Are they still available? I couldn't find them the last time I looked. ...
Yes, I thought that pretty much the whole thing had been put somewhere on AZBTV, but I can't find it now either. Maybe it exists but is not indexed well, or maybe it was removed to make room.