What I've learned Since Joining AZ

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I found this resource in 2006 just as I was actually learning to play (after 10 years of thinking I knew how to play).

I learned a lot from az and my own "research".

I have been complaining recently to myself that the majority of content has been unhelpful - to be polite.

People woofing, arguing about aiming systems, shafts, which chalk spins the ball more etc.

Truth is, I haven't contributed much personally so hopefully this thread helps someone somewhere as the older threads have helped me.

I hate to admit it but in retrospect I was a C- to C player in 2006. I thought at the time I was better but I was not.

I am now good enough to know better then to label myself X or Y speed. I keep score the old fashioned way!

Some may find some of this information remedial - I apologize in advance. If anyone disagrees with my info please keep it polite, Thanks.

So here goes:

1. Get Lessons. I waited 18 years to get lessons - Stupid.
2. Center ball is not where you think it is - Practice finding center ball
3. BHE works - Find your bridge length and remember slow speeds swerve.
4. When jacked up, bend your bridge arm to get your head closer to the ball
5. Practice correctly - If you practice incorrectly you reinforce bad habits - see #1
6. Unless your name is Bobby Pickle or Jason Kirkwood - don't gamble drunk (although I'm not sure a case of beer actually gets them drunk?)
7. Breath - sounds easy right?
8. You are never wrong to ask your opponent to post - Only 2 types of people you make post, the guy you're playing now and the guy you're going to play next.
9. Stay composed - if you dog ball in hand walk back to the chair like nothing happened
10. As Herman Edward would say "We play to win the game". I have lost numerous sets / sessions because I got out to a big lead and then let up or played overly aggressive shots. When you have a lead it's lock down time.

I won't bore you with anything else right now. Hopefully someone gets something out of this.

Thanks for 8 years of information AZ.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Good stuff. Many of those points are things I've been working on correcting recently...

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I found this resource in 2006 just as I was actually learning to play (after 10 years of thinking I knew how to play).

I have been complaining recently to myself that the majority of content has been unhelpful - to be polite.

People woofing, arguing about aiming systems, shafts, which chalk spins the ball more etc.

Truth is, I haven't contributed much personally so hopefully this thread helps someone somewhere as the older threads have helped me.

I hate to admit it but in retrospect I was a C- to C player in 2006. I thought at the time I was better but I was not.

I am now good enough to know better then to label myself X or Y speed. I keep score the old fashioned way!

Some may find some of this information remedial - I apologize in advance. If anyone disagrees with my info please keep it polite, Thanks.

So here goes:

5. Practice correctly - If you practice incorrectly you reinforce bad habits - see #1
6. Unless your name is Bobby Pickle or Jason Kirkwood - don't gamble drunk (although I'm not sure a case of beer actually gets them drunk?)
8. You are never wrong to ask your opponent to post - Only 2 types of people you make post, the guy you're playing now and the guy you're going to play next.
9. Stay composed - if you dog ball in hand walk back to the chair like nothing happened
10. As Herman Edward would say "We play to win the game". I have lost numerous sets / sessions because I got out to a big lead and then let up or played overly aggressive shots. When you have a lead it's lock down time.

I won't bore you with anything else right now. Hopefully someone gets something out of this.

I think you listed some great ideas and suggestions. I can tell from this post that you have improved your game a lot if do the things you've listed here. Great post...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

So here goes:

You are one the smart guys on AZB. You only take the right things away. WTG. Johnnyt

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
What I learned on AZ...
Pretty much everything in between C- and B+ playing. There's a big gap there.

AZ set me straight on a lot of misconceptions.
There are so many straight shooters on here it's sickening.
Guys you never heard of who are better than anyone you play.
Forced me to realize I wasn't anywhere near an A player and there was tons to work on.

May have taught me just as much about how to deal with people, you learn how to communicate
online and deal with people without bashing the keyboard.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Xzd_MfDy0

Nice video, thanks. Every beginner should watch that.

In fact, I'll have the kids in the Jr league my son plays in watch this the very next time they meet.

#5 is a great point also about practicing correctly. I can speak from very hard learned experience as when I started playing I learned from pool videos and books. Turns out I was lining up wrong on shots the whole time for over a decade and the only reason I could play was though adjusting my stroke to match what I though my eyes were telling me. I now am trying to re-learn how to actually line up and aim pretty much from scratch due to practicing the "wrong" thing for years.