Sky goes into BEAST MODE in Texas

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Sky Woodward 2019 Texas Open 9 Ball Champion.

Sky lost his match to Alex Calderon and then he went into Beast Mode on the one loss side and plowed through a 128 player field.

He won 13 matches in a row to win the title, double dipping Josh Roberts in the final :eek:

69330996_513777919183646_2729372354202304512_n.jpg

69416020_370089193890673_7958204473954795520_n.jpg

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and i forgot to say Sky swept the whole tournament, he won the mini tournament, Split banks ring game, Split 10 ball ring game, Team Sky and Ming Ng Split Jack & Jill Scotch doubles, and he won the Open! Division!

So he either won or had a piece of 1st place money in every single division, wow :eek:

Congrats to Ming Ng she won the Jack & Jill Scotch with Sky and she also won The Ladies division.

69558138_891314511237803_6174367447685005312_n smaller.jpg

69625271_419297348713656_7838546264181440512_n (3).jpg

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it a field of pros or just a few scattered about?

The few tournaments I've been to has been either one or the other.

The first Rocket city open in Huntsville Alabama was chocked full of heavy hitters and it took a very, very strong game to get there and I believe Sky was the player to win that tournament. He played extremely strong on the bar box tournament that weekend but, he didn't stand a chance on the big table at that point.

Then again, the next and last Rocket city open was, well, lets just say it felt more like a glorified monthly tournament with only two or three legitimate pros and a handful of shortstops mixed in with 75 or 80 apa/bca 5's, 6's, 7's and local bangers like me.

That particular tournament sucked and is the reason they've not had another since.

Not sure why but, I know the what. The what was the tournament run wayyyy over time wise. Sam, the guy that ran it, dropped the ball to say the least.

He ended up selling not long after that or at least that is what I was told.

MachineGunKelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it a field of pros or just a few scattered about?

The few tournaments I've been to has been either one or the other.

The first Rocket city open in Huntsville Alabama was chocked full of heavy hitters and it took a very, very strong game to get there and I believe Sky was the player to win that tournament. He played extremely strong on the bar box tournament that weekend but, he didn't stand a chance on the big table at that point.

Then again, the next and last Rocket city open was, well, lets just say it felt more like a glorified monthly tournament with only two or three legitimate pros and a handful of shortstops mixed in with 75 or 80 apa/bca 5's, 6's, 7's and local bangers like me.

That particular tournament sucked and is the reason they've not had another since.

Not sure why but, I know the what. The what was the tournament run wayyyy over time wise. Sam, the guy that ran it, dropped the ball to say the least.

He ended up selling not long after that or at least that is what I was told.

This field at Skinny Bobs had a handful of pros and multiple semi pro players, but Sky has stepped up his game tremendously on the big table. He won the 9 ball, 9 ball banks ring game, and the MOT at the DCC this year. He also won the U.S. open 8 ball last month. All of these tournaments are on the big table with all of the top pros present.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to SKy and Ming. There were a lot of strong players in that field. Maybe not quite as top heavy as in the past but what he did was awesome no doubt about it.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This field at Skinny Bobs had a handful of pros and multiple semi pro players, but Sky has stepped up his game tremendously on the big table. He won the 9 ball, 9 ball banks ring game, and the MOT at the DCC this year. He also won the U.S. open 8 ball last month. All of these tournaments are on the big table with all of the top pros present.

I knew his big table game had improved. I've not kept up with the current young guns so, I didn't know he had improved that much. Good for Sky. If he keeps improving, as young as he is, he may end up being much, much better than anticipated.

I've met him but a couple times. He seemed like a very good young man. We are in short supply of those lately or, at least that's what I've experienced in my ventures.

Just the other day, a young man (more like a hoodlum) that looked to be ~25 years of age bumped into an older gentleman at Walmart almost causing the gentleman to fall. The older gentleman was saved by another person standing close, while the young offender walked away without even acknowledging what he had done.

I see things like that to often, which is why I notice and appreciate strong morals in a young man more so than I use to.

Thanks for the info,

Jeff