Dollar Ball

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night after our league match one of my teammates introduced us to a new (to us, at least) game he called Dollar Ball. It was played as a rotation ring game with each player anteing up a dollar and tossing it right on the playing surface of the table. The dollars could be flat, folded or wadded up and they had to be more or less randomly tossed onto the playing surface (no specific placing of the dollars). The shooting order was determined alphabetically by our first names, although any selection process would have worked. The rules were:

• Must hit lowest ball on the table first
  • Slopping in any ball counts as long as lowest ball was hit first
  • Cue ball fouls only
  • Scratching results in ball in hand in kitchen for incoming player, but with other fouls the cue ball is played as it lies
  • The person legally making the 15 ball wins all the money on the table and pays the quarters for the next game
  • If the 15 is pocketed early on an illegal shot, the player loses his turn, and the next highest ball is moved to the foot spot and becomes the money ball
  • Any player fouling, failing to get a good hit, scratching, leaving the cue ball touching a dollar, or knocking a ball off the table is required to to put another dollar onto the table before the next player shoots
  • Dollar penalties are cumulative - for example a failure to get a good hit and the cue ball coming to rest in contact with a dollar costs the shooter 2 dollars

Playing 15-ball rotation on a bar box led to quite a few snookers in the early rounds, which led to a lot of dollars laying all over the table. It got to be kind of like bowling in a corn field, but we had quite a bit of fun with it. We had 4 and 5 players per game, and most of the pots ended up in the $15-$20 range, but I did manage to win one for $28.

Has anyone else here ever played this variation?

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You must have left something out as you can't have a 15 to 28 pot with each player putting in $1.

If they put in $1 every time they came to the table, with 5 people that would mean some games each person got to the table 6 times, which seems like quite a bit.

Last night after our league match one of my teammates introduced us to a new (to us, at least) game he called Dollar Ball. It was played as a rotation ring game with each player anteing up a dollar and tossing it right on the playing surface of the table. The dollars could be flat, folded or wadded up and they had to be more or less randomly tossed onto the playing surface (no specific placing of the dollars). The shooting order was determined alphabetically by our first names, although any selection process would have worked. The rules were:

• Cue ball fouls only
  • Fouling, not getting a good hit or scratching results in ball in hand in kitchen for incoming player
  • The person legally making the 15 ball wins all the money on the table and pays the quarters for the next game
  • If the 15 is pocketed early on an illegal shot, the player loses his turn, and the next highest ball is moved to the foot spot and becomes the money ball
  • Any player fouling, failing to get a good hit, scratching, leaving the cue ball touching a dollar, or knocking a ball off the table is required to to put another dollar onto the table before the next player shoots
  • Dollar penalties are cumulative - for example a failure to get a good hit and the cue ball coming to rest in contact with a dollar costs the shooter 2 dollars

Playing 15-ball rotation on a bar box led to quite a few snookers in the early rounds, which led to a lot of dollars laying all over the table. It got to be kind of like bowling in a corn field, but we had quite a bit of fun with it. We had 4 and 5 players per game, and most of the pots ended up in the $15-$20 range, but I did manage to win one for $28.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have left something out as you can't have a 15 to 28 pot with each player putting in $1.

gotta read the rools. :wink:

Any player fouling, failing to get a good hit, scratching, leaving the cue ball touching a dollar, or knocking a ball off the table is required to to put another dollar onto the table before the next player shoots
Dollar penalties are cumulative - for example a failure to get a good hit and the cue ball coming to rest in contact with a dollar costs the shooter 2 dollars

Clearly they had a lot of penalties.

smt

PS per original Q: we used to just play 3 ball after league if enough people were still around. (Might still, i haven't been for a couple years) With 5 or 6 people, you can get ties (everyone antes up again) often enough the pot gets in the same range as yours at times before a winner appears.

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, we used to play 3-ball a lot after leagues in south Texas. That was a lot of fun, and some of the pots got huge.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If they put in $1 every time they came to the table, with 5 people that would mean some games each person got to the table 6 times, which seems like quite a bit.

Six times at the table isn't a lot when you consider how easy it is to leave the incoming player safe when you have so many balls on a 7-foot table in a rotation game. Even if the shooter doesn't get a good hit, there is no ball in hand for the next guy. (I stated in my original post that you got BIH after fouls and no-hits, but that was a mistake. Ball in hand for scratches only, and then it's in the kitchen.)

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS - per 3-ball above, we didn't rack like in youtube videos (triangle). Always freehand, 3 balls in a straight line back from spot. Harder to get a pattern break down.

smt

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We racked freehand, but triangular formation. Most of the old geezers I played with there wouldn't know a break pattern from a sewing pattern. :grin:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

• Cue ball fouls only
  • Scratching results in ball in hand in kitchen for incoming player, but with other fouls the cue ball is played as it lies

Haven’t ever played this, but I believe I will introduce it at my favorite local spot !

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 Ball is so much fun and playing for $.50 or. $1.00 per game produces some nice pots
when the rules are one ties everyone ties. I played in a $.50 game & there were 5 players.
We pushed 11 times in a row and the game was won on the 12th game. We played for two
hrs and had a blast and the longest push thereafter never went further than 5-6 games.