Color of money question

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your take on Eddie losing to Amos (forest whiticre) did Eddie get hustled or did Eddie dump to lose Vince and the girl?

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your take on Eddie losing to Amos (forest whiticre) did Eddie get hustled or did Eddie dump to lose Vince and the girl?

He got hustled. That was definitely not him dumping as shown by his break down afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was hustled.....which is why Eddie became angry with himself.
Eddie should have spotted the con since Vince & Eddie were hustlers.
More importantly, Eddie knew he was better than Amos but not at that moment.
So he re-commits to playing competitive, championship caliber pool & returns.

Broken thumbs and all......Eddie was a fierce competitor with tremendous pride.
He couldn't tolerate thinking that Vinnie laid down on their match or he was better.
The girl didn't matter to Eddie, except as a rudder to steer Vinnie in the right direction.
Only the actual story author would know but that's my take on the original question.

Matt B.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
He was definitely hustled and pissed at himself for drinking too much. Love the line during that episode when Vince asks how he is doing and he says, "Holding my own and a little bit of theirs."

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I don't know if "hustled" is the right word - but Amos whooped him. Vincent may have re-lit the fire in Eddie, but losing to Amos fanned the flames - and if you'll notice, right after that Eddie starts getting in shape (pool), and gets new glasses. He just couldn't stomach the loss. (To be honest - I'm a bit surprised we didn't see a rematch)

Eddie knew what Amos was all about - he had been there years before in "The Hustler". He (Eddie) just hated that he couldn't take him (Amos) down even though he knew what was going on.

Just IMO - I didn't write the book or screenplay.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if "hustled" is the right word - but Amos whooped him. Vincent may have re-lit the fire in Eddie, but losing to Amos fanned the flames - and if you'll notice, right after that Eddie starts getting in shape (pool), and gets new glasses. He just couldn't stomach the loss. (To be honest - I'm a bit surprised we didn't see a rematch)

Eddie knew what Amos was all about - he had been there years before in "The Hustler". He (Eddie) just hated that he couldn't take him (Amos) down even though he knew what was going on.

Just IMO - I didn't write the book or screenplay.

i think you have it pretty spot on
jmho
icbw

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently (yesterday) watched the hustler and COM. I got to say I really enjoyed them! It's been a few years lol

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unless you fell asleep at the end of that scene I think the rest of the film makes it pretty obvious.

Dale

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.

And that is the point of the film... but in the film he attains redemption at the end.

Unlike the much better novel, but the book is for grown ups - the movie was
shoehorned into yet another ridiculous Hollywood ending.

Dale

And that is the point of the film... but in the film he attains redemption at the end.

Unlike the much better novel, but the book is for grown ups - the movie was
shoehorned into yet another ridiculous Hollywood ending.

Dale

I never knew it was based on a novel.