Any " LONGTIME " Users THOROUGHBRED TIPS ????

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just installed 1 for a friend- He also gave me 1 to try....
I really like the quality of the leather....
trimmed and shaped and sanded really well and easy"
It seems like it is a different leather than the G 2 and Moori tips I have tried in the past
they always broke in and glazed over on my cues" and easy to miscue ….
I will try out the Thoroughbred and get back in a month or so"

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using one that was given away on here. Been using it about a year. So far so good. I am not really good enough to notice a huge difference in it and an ultraskin. Scuff it periodically, chalk it up, and bang em around. No mushrooming or deformity.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I got one a little while ago and am going to have it put on a shaft when I send it in to be turned down a little more. I’ve heard nothing but great things and Gutshot here on the forums is such a great person to deal with.

Donkin the 8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used one for about 2 months. A medium hard. It machined really well. Held it’s shape good however it hardened a little quicker than I would have liked. For ten dollars I’d say it’s a decent choice

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems like it is a different leather than the G 2 and Moori tips I have tried in the past

I think you’ll be pleased. Troy Downey put mediums on the cue he made me and I really like the way they play and hold chalk.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like all things, it's personal preference, but I have not had many complaints other than maybe a given tip is too soft or too hard for a given hardness. I will always replace a tip if they are not happy and will keep trying until they are happy. What I think is a medium might be a medium hard or a medium soft to someone else.

I try to have them made to a hardness I think they should be. I press the mediums and harder to take most, if not all, the mushrooming and compression out before they are installed. By pre-pressing them, I feel they play much better from the first ball you hit. Sometime I will press the softer tips a little so they don't mushroom as much.

My personal favorite is medium or medium hard. I feel they are the most consistent hit and require little to no maintenance. My tips hold chalk really well and grip the cue ball quite well. At $10, I think they are well worth trying at least once.

KellyChrisman
Thoroughbred Tips

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Med hard are perfect.
Have thoroughbreds on my Shelby Williams, Eddie Cohen, and Ned Morris.
Very consistent performance.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have had one on my cue for awhile now (Medium Soft). Great tip. Zero issues. :cool:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoroughbred tips

I had one on my Gilbert that I really liked but not soon after I switched to a CF shaft. I need to get a few medium ones to try on the CF.