Cue Ball Damage/Break Cue

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So where all the half moon cracks on the object balls then? I haven't seen a single one.

I dont have any of those marks on my red circle. The reason its the phenolic tip and not the object ball is because of the much smaller radius of the tip, theres much more concentrated pressure in that small area. Kind of like the difference between hitting a piece of metal with a center punch or a body hammer. One is small, one large, one will leave a mark, one will not.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those equally spaced veins on the side of the brown scream a very loose weave canvas phenolic. Can you sand the top of the tip a little to see if it's leather? I've never seen that vein structure in leather, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Ive seen it sanded and thats why I think it is leather. been a loooong time though as it is the original tip and I do believe the cue is a fine 2004 vintage. The glue was good that year.

Ill put up a pic later...about 2 min after I find sandpaper.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Those equally spaced veins on the side of the brown scream a very loose weave canvas phenolic. Can you sand the top of the tip a little to see if it's leather? I've never seen that vein structure in leather, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Here yah go....

Attachments

• IMG_1627 (2).jpg
    IMG_1627 (2).jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 176

John R

White diamond is harder than phenolic?
All phenolic?
Proof?

I did no experimentation.
I noticed the day I got a phenolic tip break cue
that it put marks on my aramith cue ball.

Changed the tip a week later to white diamond.
Bought a new cueball, no marks.

Changed to water buffalo hard tip after 2 weeks.
Didn't like the white diamond.

Just my observation and experience.
While I do have a bachelor of science,
I did not use it to find out the results.
I also have used the water Buffalo tips and they are great for breaking and jumping. Nice choice on changing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like assumptions rather than facts.
Good Lord, you've dug your heels deep into this one.

there are lots of factors which differentiate ball/ ball contact from cue/ ball contact and phenolic tips damage cue balls.

we aren't asking. it has come up many times on the forum.

and thru a microscope:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming much? Why wouldn’t a cue stick leave a full circular mark then too? And you’re not paying attention to details. Four hours of play left 7 little marks. My explanation says that there were only 7 good breaks during that 4 hours. Otherwise if it was the cue making the marks, couldn’t there be 30+? Think about for a second. If there were 7 marks on the cue ball, then in four hours there were only 7 breaks done if it was the cue tip.
It’s not leaving a full circular mark because the cue ball was not struck in the dead center by the phenolic tip - thus the half moon shaped mark. How in the world could a cue ball contacting an object ball result in a half moon mark on the cue ball?

Obviously on 7 of the breaks used with the phenolic tip the contact point between the cue ball and the phenolic tip was off-center enough to cause the half-moon marks.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not leaving a full circular mark because the cue ball was not struck in the dead center by the phenolic tip - thus the half moon shaped mark. How in the world could a cue ball contacting an object ball result in a half moon mark on the cue ball?
Truth...

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To OP, it's your table, your cue ball and your house, tell (not ask) him to use what you consider the proper equipment or go. I'm noted as a grumpy ole man for a reason.