Owners Of Willard Retipper Only

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my Willards Retipper, used, from a subscriber here at AZ, Mike. Thanks Mike! However I need some advice.

The unit comes with 3 collets:

One of the plastic collets is employed for holding the brand new leather tip applied to the freshly cleaned ferrule face;

The two remaining collets resemble each other. However, one of the collets is marked with a "13 1/2" on the side. The other plastic collet has no markings whatsoever. Into which metal holder is the marked collet (with 13 1/2) inserted? Is it inserted into the metal holder used for facing the ferrule or the other metal holder used for tip trimming and tip application?

TIA,

Terry

Last edited:

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be used for either one. I have a Willard's with all the adapters so I can do tips from 9mm to 14 mm. I might add that with all the adapters it was not cheap. They are all interchangeable so that you can use it were you need it. For refacing the ferrule or for holding the shaft tight to trim the tip. The 13.5 is the standard for both collets as long as your shafts aren't under 12 mm. When you start getting under 12mm it's better to have the adapters. Just my .02
no-sho

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would just like to add, so their is no confusion that they are the same size eventhough one isn't marked. It doesn't matter which collet you put were or in what direction. They are both 13.5!!
no-sho

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Just to let you know, the instruction video is available from Williard for $8. I just got one plus the blade holder mine was missing. I have the three standard 13mm collets. Anybody have an idea what these Williard tippers are worth. I might be interested in selling mine.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
no-sho said:
Is it new or not???

No, it is used but hardly. I got it Incomplete years ago but never used it myself. I have a friend who is a cuemaker. I take all the repair work I get to him. I just got the parts to complete it.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New, you can by it from Seyberts for 399,00. I f you shop around you can probably find it a little cheaper. If you're a dealer the last I checked from Willard's was about 310 or 320 but sometimes they have a sale or it's a little cheaper depending on quantity. Used, I wouldn't sell it for less than 250.00. Then it would depend on who I was selling it to. If it was somebody I didn't know I would sell it for around 300.00 probably. Here in Europe they are very expensive. 500 to 800 euro which is $600 to $950. Way out of line. Good luck in the IPT!!!!! NO-SHO

Last edited:

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9mm to what?

I find mine can't do much less than 12 1/2 because the cutter doesn't go past that??

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shinyballs said:
9mm to what?

I find mine can't do much less than 12 1/2 because the cutter doesn't go past that??

That is why I have all the adapters. I have 3 different cutters + 3 different plastic collets to hold the shaft. Don't quote me but I think the first adapter is from 9mm to 10mm, and the second adapter is 11mm to 12mm and then the standard 13mm to 14mm. I also have a lathe but I like to use the Willard in the house while I watch TV. I usually do 4 or 5 tips at a time. I put the tip on and trim it down to the ferrule and then take them out to the lathe and finish them on the lathe. I'm lazy!!! :)

no-sho

Last edited:

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
no-sho said:
New, you can by it from Seyberts for 399,00. I f you shop around you can probably find it a little cheaper. If you're a dealer the last I checked from Willard's was about 310 or 320 but sometimes they have a sale or it's a little cheaper depending on quantity. Used, I wouldn't sell it for less than 250.00. Then it would depend on who I was selling it to. If it was somebody I didn't know I would sell it for around 300.00 probably. Here in Europe they are very expensive. 500 to 800 euro which is $600 to $950. Way out of line. Good luck in the IPT!!!!! NO-SHO

Oh, so that's why the guy from The Netherlands wants it so bad. Shoot shipping with insurance is going to be like $50. The states, I could mail it priority flat rate for $12. Maybe I shoud just keep it and learn to use it.:confused: What do you guys think. I am pretty mechanically inclined. Will the tape help or can i wing it? I don't have a vcr hooked up. I got a bunch of imported case stuffer shafts. I guess I can practice.;)

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's reallly not that difficult to use, Just take extreme care when trimming the tip not to dig into the ferrule. What I personally like, is that it trims the tip at I believe at a 3 degree angle which is really not noticeable but it great against mushrooming. I'm not such a great communicator and I don't explain things very well but I hope you get the jist of the post!!

no-sho

Last edited:

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Post Clear as could be. I guess it would be safer than the little plastic pencil sharpener type device I'm using now.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Sho:

Why do you have 3 different cutters. Isn't one cutter sufficient - doesn't it cut all sizes of tips?

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adapters

kokopuffs said:
No Sho:

Why do you have 3 different cutters. Isn't one cutter sufficient - doesn't it cut all sizes of tips?

No it doesn't. The one collet that holds the shaft centers it in the hole, if the cutter has a hole diameter of 14mm it's not going to trim a tip of 9,10,11,12mm. The cutter has to have also a smaller diameter for the tip to make contact with the blade. Try taking a pencil,which would be like a snooker cue and put it in the shaft holder collet. First it wont hold it because the diameter is to small and if it was centered you will see when you slid it up to the trimmer collet that it isn't possible to make contact with the blade. That's why you need the adapters. There is one possibility but you have to take the trimmer collet out of the block and hold the cutter by hand and spin the shaft in the shaft holder collet in your other hand. It will work but I don't recommend it but I have done it more than once. It's much easier with the adapters, the right tool for the right job. You might say I'm crazy but even though I have a lathe, I still like to put tips on and trim them down to the ferrule on with the Willard's and then go finish them on the lathe. It might be that in the winter it might be minus 10 or 20 degrees in the shop and I don't feel like freezing my §%§% off! lol:D

no-sho

Last edited:

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used my Willard Retipper for a month and the only thing is that care must be taken not to cut into the ferrule using the cutter. The latter is supplied with a screw that limits the depth that the shaft is inserted into the tool, preventing the blade from cutting into the ferrule. DO, INDEED, UTILIZE THAT SCREW or you will screw up the ferrule as I did. Heh heh. 2 ferrules (as he slinks away embarassed).

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
I've used my Willard Retipper for a month and the only thing is that care must be taken not to cut into the ferrule using the cutter. The latter is supplied with a screw that limits the depth that the shaft is inserted into the tool, preventing the blade from cutting into the ferrule. DO, INDEED, UTILIZE THAT SCREW or you will screw up the ferrule as I did. Heh heh. 2 ferrules (as he slinks away embarassed).

You may want to also put a scotch tape around the ferrule when you put on the tip, so glues will stay on the tape. When you insert your tip into the tipper, keep the tape on, this should help you to protect the ferrule a bit better and if you cut into the tape, you can see it and stop.

Also, try to use a tip a bit bigger, and leave about the same amount of over hanging parts all around which will help you to cut better and easier, in my opinion.

Richard

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better than scotch tape is 3M tape - it appears to be made of some kind of plastic. But I know what you mean about its protecting the ferrule against excess glue.

The WILLARDS unit comes with a time holder in both 13 and 14mm sizes, simplifying applying the new tip to the freshly prepared face of the ferrule. It centers the tip automatically as well.