Shaft wood

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
What other woods have you made shafts out of? Can you described the results? I'm assuming that shafts from other materials haven't been to successful other wise we'd see more odd them,

I'm curious if anyone had turned a cocobolo shaft, or a pink ivory, or ebony etc.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What other woods have you made shafts out of? Can you described the results? I'm assuming that shafts from other materials haven't been to successful other wise we'd see more odd them,

I'm curious if anyone had turned a cocobolo shaft, or a pink ivory, or ebony etc.

Heavy and stiff, all of what you mentioned

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

a shaft needs to be a couple of things at once which not a lot of woods satisfy.
Maple does a lot of these properties right (please go and do a bit research on your own).
Ash is also good, as is hornbeam.

The woods you mentioned are very dense (heavy) and stiff; they might work as a laminate or as thin stripes with other woods - Ibanez (guitars) uses Walnut stripes to stabilize their necks.

Maybe some cue makers can comment on that - why don't have we more constructions as with guitar necks?

Cheers,
M

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m making a few hornbeam shafts now. Exited to see how they stack up against maple.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member

purpleheart
lyptus
both very stiff

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hickory

i have been hearing about some making hickory shafts, at this time i have some 4 piece laminated hickory shafts that i have started turning, it will be couple months before i know anything, it seems they are going to be heavy.

i have heard they play quite well and are stiff, so the laminated will be even stiffer.

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
What about Bamboo? Several years ago, I remember talkign to a guy saying while he was in Japan he played with a cue that had a bamboo spliced shaft and loved it.

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Bamboo? Several years ago, I remember talkign to a guy saying while he was in Japan he played with a cue that had a bamboo spliced shaft and loved it.

Musashi, of Japan makes laminated bamboo shafts. There is a Japanese female pro in the states who plays with one of his "masterpiece" cues. She plays pretty sporty, and swears by the cue.

playonepocket

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Snooker players seem to favor ash...might be something to that, I've contemplated having someone make me one to see how it plays...I assume a short LD type ferule would be in order, but who knows? I'm sure someone out there has tried this? I'd think it'd be stiff, but there's a lot of flex to ash (makes a great ball bat or a long bow)...

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ash, Maple, Purple Heart, Rosewood and Bubinga are some I have used. I introduced Purple Heart in the 80's or early 90's as an alternative to Maple for break shafts. I still sell a lot of them for that purpose. For a while a lot of Canadian snooker players were using my Purple heart for playing shafts.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Its made by the custom and more expensive level from Adam Japan called Musashi.
The shaft u talking about is call musashi bamboo shaft, i feel it plays even better than their more popular shaft which is the a.c.c.s

You should try it, plays stiff solid with little deflection.
On the other hand, its a little pricey but worth the money though.