How to play this shot:

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
left english softens the cue ball off the second long rail. So this shot is more difficult on tables without the boingy diamond like rails. On my olehausen, this would be about one tip low and one and half tips left with soft pocket speed. It would still leave a longer cut but hit it soft enough to approach the nine along the position zone and don't try to cross it.

And there is always high right for 4 or 5 rails.

boingy??.........

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 rail spin shot:

I shot it for about one hour, and was successful only one time. Skip to 60 sec in the video if you want to see the successful attempt.

I then moved the OB 1.5" to the right, and I had success many times.

On both OB positions, I show a few misses, to see where the CB was ending up.

Also, the last 10 seconds of the video shows the ball positions measured with a ruler from the diamonds on a 9' GC. 1" definitly makes a difference on this shot, and that could explain all of the differences of opinion.

Video: (The single successful shot is between 1:00 and 1:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjQAii-rYo

Review your one successful shot. That is what you want to learn to do repeatedly. Notice the difference in the speed of the cb on the way to the ob? That shot you successfully used a draw-drag shot. The sidespin brought the cb back.

Granted, you only got it one time. But, that proves that it is very doable. Now, that you know it can be done, the work begins. Pay close attention to detail and how it felt each time you get it right or close to right.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, the one rail shot can be done. It's not all that difficult either, at least not in the conditions in which I'm playing. I would not, however, say it's the "right" shot in this situation. The two railer (zig zag) is by far easier and more repeatable. If your shots demand perfect execution like this, you are not playing good patterns IMO. That is not to say that the shot is worthless to practice, sometimes you can't play the 2 railer. If you can play the 2 railer, then that's what I'd do.

It's amazing how just a little bit of english will help this shot along, so you don't have to slam it. You need probably 1 tip low, 1 tip right, maybe even less.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I missed your video earlier. Nice shooting. Check out the last 10 seconds of mine just posted. I wonder how close our positions were with a ruler? Are you on an 8' table?

It's a 9' table with 4" corners. My OB mark was 8 3/8 inches from the side rail edge. To get the cue ball to draw back in a "U" shape, , I had to move the OB at least another inch out and really stroke it. Personally I thought the easiest thing to do consistently was kill the CB with soft low left and cut the 9 in.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a 9' table with 4" corners. My OB mark was 8 3/8 inches from the side rail edge. To get the cue ball to draw back in a "U" shape, , I had to move the OB at least another inch out and really stroke it. Personally I thought the easiest thing to do consistently was kill the CB with soft low left and cut the 9 in.

Ah, my OB was 6 9/16" from the nose of the cushion as the way I interpreted the drawing. We were shooting completely different shots. My second position was at 8" away.

SJD, you started this mess, so set up your 9' table with a tape measure as per the below pics, and let me know if you can still reliably get the CB to spin back one rail for shape on the 9. I spent all evening on it, you owe me that much:)

IMG_4711.jpg
OB 6 9/16" from nose of cushion

IMG_4712.jpg
OB 2 1/2" from diamond

IMG_4713.jpg
CB 4" from diamond, and on center string

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Honestly though, the original poster probably had a shot come up and missed position. He later set it up and struggled with it. I highly doubt he used a ruler or was really super exact about the layout. Like iusedtoberich points out, an inch difference can totally change what's possible on the shot.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a tip to tip-and-a-half of left, and a smidge of draw, with enough speed that cueball hits both longrails and returns toward the longrail (top of photo).

To work the shot out, a good thing to do is to pick a spot on the longrail (bottom of photo) that you want to hit with the cueball, then cue the shot to make that happen. A diamond to diamond-and-a-half left of the opposite side pocket looks about right.

All that said, there are varying combinations of draw and left English that will work on that shot to cross both rails. If you develop the skill of consistently hitting the spot on the 2nd rail that you choose on those types of shots, you should improve quickly.

Good luck