Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?
Page 27 of 32 « First 17252627 2829 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#391)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Nice post Jay. But, what do you mean Mosoni didn't start with a break shot? How did he start his runs in exhibition ?
From Willie's Game, by Willie Mosconi and Stanley Cohen:

"I was playing a two-hundred-point match against an amateur by the name of Earl Bruney in the East High Billiard Club. He made three balls off the break, then I ran two hundred and just kept going."

Old
  (#392)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
It wasn't an exhibition. It was just a fun run. Part of the story is that no one except the shooter saw the whole run. Mosconi may have run over 600 with Charlie Ursitti watching, but again, it was just a fun run.

There are stories of fun runs over 1000. I don't believe them.

The BCA seems to have stopped keeping records, so even if John does put up a 603, it's not clear that anyone official will sprinkle holy water on it. Or even J.T.S. Brown.

A friend of mine happened to be in Syracuse and watched Cranfield practice five nights in a row. Every night Cranfield ran over 200. Cranfield had the percentages and the time on the table to put up a very large run and I believe he did. For fun.
Running 700+ balls certainly qualifies as "fun" in *my* book!

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#393)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-30-2018, 09:17 AM

John Schmidt had a 177 and a 283 yesterday.

Old
  (#394)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
John Schmidt had a 177 and a 283 yesterday.
What a player, in anyone's book.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#395)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Willie always had an opponent...he started with whatever shot the guy left him.
OH, good to know. I was not even thinking he was playing anyone, just doing a "solo" exhibition. Did he just play a local at all the exhibitions ?

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 11-30-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Old
  (#396)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-30-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
OH, good to know. I was not even thinking he was playing anyone, just doing a "solo" exhibition. Did he just play a local at all the exhibitions ?
Willie nearly always played some local person who was there to hold a stick. Willie was not shy, according to lots of reports, about letting the stick holder know who the people came to watch in case the stick holder got a little frisky.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#397)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Gatos Taki View Post
I agree that todays top players should play the same table set up that Mosconi played.
However, they should also use the same type of pool cues and equipment that Mosconi used when he did the run.
I agree, but there will always be somebody who disputes something.

He didn't have the same taper on his shaft, his cue was heavier/lighter, the chalk was different, he played with better lighting conditions, he was taller, he was shorter, he was slimmer, he was fatter, he didn't eat the same thing Willie ate that day, the pool room was cooler/hotter, the crowd was too loud/quiet, etc., etc., etc.

I think Willie's record will NEVER be broken because nobody can, or will, ever duplicate all the conditions.

Global warming will prevent it. The barometric pressure isn't the same or the core of the Earth is warmer. Or Willie thought the Earth was round and the guy trying to break the record may think the Earth is flat.

Old
  (#398)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I agree, but there will always be somebody who disputes something.

He didn't have the same taper on his shaft, his cue was heavier/lighter, the chalk was different, he played with better lighting conditions, he was taller, he was shorter, he was slimmer, he was fatter, he didn't eat the same thing Willie ate that day, the pool room was cooler/hotter, the crowd was too loud/quiet, etc., etc., etc.

I think Willie's record will NEVER be broken because nobody can, or will, ever duplicate all the conditions.

Global warming will prevent it. The barometric pressure isn't the same or the core of the Earth is warmer. Or Willie thought the Earth was round and the guy trying to break the record may think the Earth is flat.
Don't forget there was probably no airconditioning....9 out of 10 rooms had none then.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#399)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Willie nearly always played some local person who was there to hold a stick. Willie was not shy, according to lots of reports, about letting the stick holder know who the people came to watch in case the stick holder got a little frisky.
Willie could get upset if upstaged...
...a young Danny Diliberto was in the high 70s and Willie had the room owner inform
Danny that they weren't there to watch him....and Danny had to give up the table.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#400)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Don't forget there was probably no airconditioning....9 out of 10 rooms had none then.
That is why I always had my cues made at 21 ounces and 14mm shafts. So I could knock the hell out of the cue ball on SLOW cloth and rails under those conditions.

Most of the bars and pool halls were like saunas way back then.

Info on Willies Run from Wikipedia
Old
  (#401)
knicks
AzB Bronze Member
knicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond reputeknicks has a reputation beyond repute

Info on Willies Run from Wikipedia - 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM

526 high run

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954. To this day the record has not been toppled and many speculate it may never be bested. A handwritten and notarized affidavit with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat.

The record was set on a 4 × 8 foot Brunswick table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets at the East High Billiard Club. Today's standard for tables may be considered more difficult to play on than this exhibition table in the sense that longer shots are required (today's standard tables are 9 x 4 1/2 ft) with 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 inch pockets, but today's tables may be considered easier to play on in the sense that there is more room for the balls to spread, creating unfettered shots. Mosconi competed successfully on 4 1/2 × 9 and 5 x 10 ft tables. The 526-ball record just happened to be on a 4 × 8 ft table, a size seldom used in professional play, but used for the billiard club exhibition that day. In fact, the room owner expected the exhibition to take place on the room's 9 foot table. That table was not a Brunswick, so Willie was required to play on one of the Brunswick 8 foot tables.

Old
  (#402)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2018, 06:09 PM

Mosconi would travel room to room and play the local favorite -- he had no input on who the local room put up against him.

Many of these guys could play and occasionally he'd get beat. It is unfair to say he just played someone who could hold a stick. And yes, sometimes he'd remind an opponent who the crowd was there to see if they spent too much time at the table either running balls or playing a lot of safeties and intention scratches.

There's a good Mosconi quote out there somewhere that I'm thinking of about playing amateurs in these exhibitions and how they all hoped to have their best day playing against him but I can't recall were I read it.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 11-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Old
  (#403)
pt109
WO double hemlock

11-30-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Mosconi would travel room to room and play the local favorite -- he had no input on who the local room put up against him.

Many of these guys could played occasionally he'd get beat. It is unfair to say he just played someone who could hold a stick. And yes, sometimes he'd remind an opponent who the crowd was there to see if they spent too much time at the table either running balls or playing a lot of safeties and intention scratches.

There's a good Mosconi quote out there somewhere that I'm thinking of about playing amateurs in these exhibitions and how they all hoped to have their best day playing against him but I can't recall were I read it.

Lou Figueroa
I do have some sympathy for Willie’s position.
I feel room owners should be wise in their selection of Willie’s opponents....
...a capable player who understands the situation...it’s a Mosconi exhibition.

In his day, they used to say there were a whole flock of players just in NYC who could run
200 balls on any given day....wouldn’t matter who was holding the other cue.

Pat Howie outta Rochester only played Irving Crane once....to 200...Pat finished the game
In two visits....Irving barely got to double figures.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Moscow's 526
Old
  (#404)
Yoda4962
North Texas
Yoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond repute

Moscow's 526 - 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM

If I could run 526.....I would get to 525 , and miss on purpose to honor the great Mosconi and what he did for the game !!!

No one else should hold this record.

Texas Player

Old
  (#405)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member

11-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda4962 View Post
If I could run 526.....I would get to 525 , and miss on purpose to honor the great Mosconi and what he did for the game !!!

No one else should hold this record.
If I could get to 526, I would never miss on purpose. I'd try to run another 526, or more.

Page 27 of 32 « First 17252627 2829 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: