Pechaur joint differences

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a Pechaur P10 from the 2003 catalog that I bought new in 2003 (mint condition and for sale soon by the way) and I recently purchased a Pechaur jump cue. I accidently grabbed the regular shaft and put it on the jump shaft, when I saw the compression joint on the jump shaft I realized I goofed up but thought, huh, then the jump shaft will fit my regular butt and I can use if for a break cue.

Problem is, the jump shaft won't fit my P10 butt? The diameter of the non-threaded male portion of the joint is about .02 MM (not exactly sure - but it wouldn't fit) thicker on the P10 then the jump butt. The shaft will slip on just enough to stick - it was a bear getting it back off.

Does anyone know if these are technically two different joints or is it simply a difference in tolerances. Given the cues were made at least 16 years apart I'm assuming it's just the latter.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Adding brochure

Attachments

• 2003-1.jpg
    2003-1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a Pechaur P10 from the 2003 catalog that I bought new in 2003 (mint condition and for sale soon by the way) and I recently purchased a Pechaur jump cue. I accidently grabbed the regular shaft and put it on the jump shaft, when I saw the compression joint on the jump shaft I realized I goofed up but thought, huh, then the jump shaft will fit my regular butt and I can use if for a break cue.

Problem is, the jump shaft won't fit my P10 butt? The diameter of the non-threaded male portion of the joint is about .02 MM (not exactly sure - but it wouldn't fit) thicker on the P10 then the jump butt. The shaft will slip on just enough to stick - it was a bear getting it back off.

Does anyone know if these are technically two different joints or is it simply a difference in tolerances. Given the cues were made at least 16 years apart I'm assuming it's just the latter.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Adding brochure

The smooth shank of the Pechauer butt is approx. .320. That's why it won't screw down.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Cue mechanic can rectify the situation.

Yeah, was thinking about turning down the shank but I'm probably going to sell it soon so not sure I want to do that.

Thanks for your help Mike and for the record, you make some good looking cues :thumbup:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, was thinking about turning down the shank but I'm probably going to sell it soon so not sure I want to do that.

Thanks for your help Mike and for the record, you make some good looking cues :thumbup:

Thank you very much. I would bore the shaft before turning down the shank. Because, you can't easilly turn the shank down in the counter sink.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Afterthought.

The shaft I would use is a flat faced so technically on the protruding portion of the shank would need to be turned down. That's to redneck for my style though, but it would be an option.

As it turns out (as found out in my other thread), I'm probably going to go with my Huebler HM for a break cue and just buy a shaft to fit that and sell this P10.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It`s a quick fix, I`ve done several, but I can see that from a consumers standpoint, Pechauers decision to have two joint pins that at first glance looks similar is frustrating. The way they switch between piloted and no pilot just adds to the frustration...

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It`s a quick fix, I`ve done several, but I can see that from a consumers standpoint, Pechauers decision to have two joint pins that at first glance looks similar is frustrating. The way they switch between piloted and no pilot just adds to the frustration...

Yeah, I noticed the pro line is piloted (like my shooter) and the other line is not piloted - like my jump cue. I just wish they would have made sure any changes in suppliers/manufacturers didn't affect the fit. It's almost like the spec of the new one without the chrome is the same as the old one, then they chromed it. When I put that shaft on it was stuck and when I finally got it off I could see some of the chrome come off the non-threaded part, that's what made me think of just turning it down.

Either way, I'm going to be selling this cue so not worried about a break shaft for it.