How good or smart is Gareth Potts

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seams to me this guy flying under the radar sorta speak is cashing in big time , a junior world champion , won a few English World rules tittles and some Chinese 8 ball masters and signed on with Joy ,, and has won some serious money there
This guy is flying under the radar cashing in big time , his worth is posted as 900k
Yet few even know who he is , obviously I say he's dam good and really smart

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Actually, he's a legend of English 8-ball, a super-straight shooter, perhaps in the mold of Darren Appleton. Not very well known in the USA, but he has made his mark in Chinese 8-ball, where the prize money is very high.

Appleton, Shaw and Melling all have an English 8-ball background, so the game does seem to breed very straight shooters.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know of him and his "potts" cue, which I'm interested in, shape-wise.

gareth is obviously a good player who found his niche and is taking advantage of a booming chinese economy.

I've been curious to see if more westerners don't find their way to china, but seems like thus far, potts is the man.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, he's a legend of English 8-ball, a super-straight shooter, perhaps in the mold of Darren Appleton. Not very well known in the USA, but he has made his mark in Chinese 8-ball, where the prize money is very high.

Appleton, Shaw and Melling all have an English 8-ball background, so the game does seem to breed very straight shooters.

That it does but he's the one going to the bank on it , when Shaw got drilled by Berg few yrs back he got on FB said he's done with rotation luck pool was going into Chinese 8 ball , maybe he could maybe he couldn't do as well , Gareth not only has game but he's got a star look quality to him that Jason simply doesn't have

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He hit the dcc pretty solidly a couple years ago, as I recall.

I think I recall him running 100+ in the 14.1 challenge.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He hit the dcc pretty solidly a couple years ago, as I recall.

I think I recall him running 100+ in the 14.1 challenge.

Are you thinking of Stuart Pettman, who was the only one to run 100+ (he did it twice) on the 10-footer in 2013?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

don't forget Karl Boyes. A recent World 8 Ball Champion and several Mosconi Cup appearances.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
It seams to me this guy flying under the radar sorta speak is cashing in big time , a junior world champion , won a few English World rules tittles and some Chinese 8 ball masters and signed on with Joy ,, and has won some serious money there
This guy is flying under the radar cashing in big time , his worth is posted as 900k
Yet few even know who he is , obviously I say he's dam good and really smart

Great player ... but unfortunately he is and probably always will be the second best cueist in his family!

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great player ... but unfortunately he is and probably always will be the second best cueist in his family!
Cueist in terms of mechanics and stroke - Potts is better then Selby arguably. I think a lot of top players would tell you that.

He is one of the best cueists ever I would say.

You really have to see it up close to appreciate.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure about in the mold of Darren tbh.

They both have great mental strength and can dominate events.

They are very different if you compare playing styles.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Cueist in terms of mechanics and stroke - Potts is better then Selby arguably. I think a lot of top players would tell you that.

He is one of the best cueists ever I would say.

You really have to see it up close to appreciate.

I was actually referring to their results...as measured by their lifetime earnings accumulated in cuesports.

Furthermore, whereas Selby is world class in both snooker and 8-ball, Potts is nowhere near world class -let alone Selby's- level in snooker.

As for mechanics and stroke? I'd be quite surprised if there was a consensus that GP was better than MS.

Last edited:

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was actually referring to their results...as measured by their lifetime earnings accumulated in cuesports.

Furthermore, whereas Selby is world class in both snooker and 8-ball, Potts is nowhere near world class -let alone Selby's- level in snooker.

As for mechanics and stroke? I'd be quite surprised if there was a consensus that GP was better than MS.
This doesn't add up for me. Prize money in pool is incomparable to snooker, so not a fair way to measure, is it?

Money is irrelevant when trying to compare the quality of 2 players in different sports.

Also, Potts doesn't play competitive snooker. Selby has played competitive pool.

Potts has practiced with and beaten professional snooker players.

Not saying he's a better snooker player, I'm referring to his mechanics.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
This doesn't add up for me. Prize money in pool is incomparable to snooker, so not a fair way to measure, is it?
It is when both players began as snooker players, and snooker is the dominant cuesport in their country, and one player becomes 3x world champ, while the other leaves the sport for another that pays 1/10th

Money is irrelevant when trying to compare the quality of 2 players in different sports.
please see above

Also, Potts doesn't play competitive snooker. Selby has played competitive pool.
Potts doesn't play competitive snooker because he wasn't able to, while Selby plays both because he is

Potts has practiced with and beaten professional snooker players.
I'm sure he has, just as I have beaten professional pool players...doesn't mean a whole lot. Even GP has admitted that when he plays snooker with Mark, he is basically taking the balls out for him

Not saying he's a better snooker player, I'm referring to his mechanics.
again, as far as mechanics go...i doubt there is any consensus to the sort

Gareth Potts is a tremendous player, but there are levels to this.